Tuesday, February 5, 2013

~A SWEET MAKEOVER...HOW I PAINTED A BISTRO SIGN~

Something exciting for me is in the works so I've been a busy bee lately working on all kinds of fun projects!!!  Sure does feel good to get back to doing what I love!!!!
Can't wait until I'm 100%...
One day last week I found this A-MAZ-ING piece at our local Goodwill Store.  It is made of metal and had this picturesque paper insert in the middle.  The bones of the piece were gr-r-r-r-reate even though it did have a small ding on the side.  For $4.99 it was more than a good deal so I decided to haul it home!
I pretty much knew from the beginning how I wanted this decor piece to look.  I'm not a big fan of the type of artwork in the center...the frame is already sooo ornate and I wanted to go with something simple...
First thing I did was pull out my trusty All Purpose Joint Compound and use it to fill in the dent on the metal frame.  I allowed it to dry outside for a couple of hours (or you can cheat and use a hair dryer to speed up the process) before sanding off the excess.
Next step was to lightly sand the entire piece and blow off the residual grit.  Next came a LIGHT brush painting with your favorite paint.  I used a soft white paint (Eggshell) from Home Depot and opted for a chip brush to do the work.  They are super inexpensive and you can toss them away when you are done!
When I paint something using a Chip Brush I paint in all directions.  I love the texture the random brush strokes give to a piece....  I used two coats very lightly applied and then gently sanded the entire piece after 24 hours of curing.  This keeps the paint from balling up, etc.
Next step was to print out on my computer the letters to make up the word BISTRO.  I used the CASTELLAR FONT and reduced the letters down to the desired size.
After I adjusted the letters and had them where I wanted them to be on the sign I flipped each letter over and penciled over the backside.  Once this was done I repositioned them into place, being careful to center them and space the letters out evenly!
Next came the tracing of the letters onto the metal decor piece!  I simply taped them down and with a light hand traced around each letter.  You can also use graphite paper...but I find it cumbersome at times and often too dark as well...even the gray graphite looks dark to me!
After each letter was traced I opted to hand paint them down the center versus using a paint pen and/or marker.  My goal was an un-refined and uncomplicated look for the sign and so I didn't have to be too careful as I planned on distressing the letters once they were painted.
I used craft paint for the lettering and a lighter brown was used for the halo (shadow).  Again...I wanted this sign to look aged so unlike some of the signs I've done (especially those with script) you don't have to be too exact when painting out the letters!
Once the wording was painted I let the entire sign cure for another 24 hours before clear coating it with a matte sealer (non-yellowing and NOT VARNISH!).  You can also use paste wax!
And so here you go!  A SWEET BISTRO SIGN just perfect for your kitchen or breakfast area. 
Now...to catch you up on what's new!
Because I knew hand surgery was imminent I made the difficult decision after Thanksgiving to pull out of the antique mall after Christmas.  I just couldn't keep it stocked and it had sold down to the bear bones...  There was no way I could keep it up while recovering so I opted to put everything in my garage until I healed up.  Initially my thought was I'd move back into my same space (they graciously welcomed me...how nice is that?) but in early January a great opportunity came up I just couldn't pass up!  And sooo....  On March 1st I'm moving into Serendipity Market here in Edmond, Oklahoma.  I've leased an awesome booth and presently my Mr. AGPMan is focused on reworking my existing pergola (booth frame) for me.  Lots of changes are coming and I'm really excited to share with you what's been going on.
I hope you enjoyed the mini tutorial!  Hope your Tuesday is fabulous!  The weather is 2die4 here in Oklahoma...we just need more rain!
Love to you..

20 comments:

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

I love the sign! Very clever redo.

I am glad you are going to get a new space that you love. I opened a booth a few weeks ago and started remodeling of the bathroom! Not smart... I am finding it hard to do all that I need to do....so we will see.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

sharon's shabby creations said...

Dear Rebecca,

What a super board you have there!! Nice pimping too!!

Hugs Sharon

Tamara said...

That is so pretty. Doesn't it just just seem like God smiles down and says "I have a gift just for you." ? I am new to your blog and find it very inspiring and your work beautiful!

Blessings,
Tamara

Bente said...

Oh, You have changed this to a treasure, Rebecca. I simply love it. You are so very good.
Thank you so much for your sweet words.

Hugs from me

Unknown said...

Rebecca so glad you can get back to doing what you love. The sign is very nice. I wish you well in your new adventure with your booth. Can't wait to see pictures.
Have a great day!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love your Bistro sign, Rebecca! What a great thrift store find. Thank you for the tutorial. I will have to give your transferring of letters idea a try. Good luck in your new space.

Julie Marie said...

Hello dear friend... I am soo happy you are feeling better and back to creating... I LOVE that bistro sign!... what a beautiful transformation!... happy to hear you will be in a beautiful new Antiques mall... also, envious of your nice weather!... it has FINALLY stopped snowing, icing, etc here but still cold... getting warmer and sunnier a bit each day though, thank goodness!... thanks for your visit... there is a little bunny you may recognize on the post I was working on and just posted while you were at my previous one!... xoxo Julie Marie

Mari said...

You know sweetie I believe change is good ;)
And I adore your transformation you always seem to amaze me with your talents ....turning trash into treasures ;)
Praying your hands heal 1000 percent.....

Blessings~
Mari

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,
You are in full swing again; looks great so your hands perform well once again!
What a changes are coming your way; one never knows how the year will unfold!
Hugs to you and take care.
Mariette
gplus.to/MariettesBacktoBasics

Blessed Serendipity said...

Rebecca,
That piece is fabulous! You have a wonderful eye and can see beauty in something that can be even more wonderful after the Becky treatment. Truly scrumptious!

xo Danielle

Theresa said...

So beautiful:) I love the bones of that piece and you made it SO pretty with the paint and letters! Congrats on the new space! Can't wait to take a peek! Have a blessed week dear friend, HUGS!

BrushedByAnAngel said...

Very pretty. With your hands still healing, make it easy on yourself and pick up Graphite Transfer paper at the craft store. That way you won't have to do the back and forth method on the back of the letters.

Very creative!!
Brenda

Unknown said...

Now that's a definite re-cycle project that turned from an ugly duckling to a beautiful swan! Love it and thanx for the step by step tut! My castle doors are always open over at the "royal blog" Tiff

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Wow, you had such a great vision, i am not sure I would have looked at that and imagined it as it turned out....Gorgeous!

cArol

Tootsie said...

LOVELY!!! I would love to be able to make one of these one day!

Elizabeth Johnson said...

Yes, we do need more rain! I still want to come and visit you some time. Maybe this Spring we can meet at your new shop one day.
Thank you for your thought provoking and kind comment about my hands and God's blessings. It gave me pause and a whole new perspective. : )
~Elizabeth

Shabby chic Sandy said...

What a great project--it looks fantastic!

Pondside said...

We have the rain and you have the sunshine - we could combine forces and have a perfect climate. I remember the Oklahoma sunshine from the year we lived on exchange in OKC.
The sign is beautiful - thanks for the how-to.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Wow, I love the transformation. You have such a good eye to see the beauty in this thrifty piece. Thanks for detailed tutorial. Congratulations on your new booth space, I'm sure it will be a real treasure trove. Glad to hear your feeling better!!

Barbara Jean said...

it's wonderful. of course!! =)

trying to do some catching up.

hugs and blessings
barb

Blog Archive