Friday, November 7, 2014

~ONLINE SELLING vs. MY LOCAL BOOTH~

 
It's Friday and I"m so glad!  I've had a super busy week setting my Booth for Christmas and also filled in a couple of days at the Shoppe.  Still love the creative side of my world and the entire process of bringing to life the things that live inside my head.  Just never have enough time to make, create or change up all the things I'm passionate about! 
 
Having a Booth is so much different than selling online.  Trust me when I tell you the things that sell on my website don't always move in my Booth.  Maybe it's a regional thing, but I kid you not...it's waaaay different!  Forget trying to sell something pink locally...unless it's some rare and costly pink rose teacup destined for a collector or a custom order, the color does not move.  Period.  Although there are still tons of pink-lovers out there (and boy if you love pink YOU LOVE PINK!), I've moved away from working with it for the most part.  I still do special orders...but generally I stick with neutrals.  And for me, anything more costly...like things fashioned with vintage laces, trims, etc., well, forget it.  Those things are best sold online as you can better target the customer who is actually looking for those things (Pillows, Christmas Stockings, Sachets, etc.)...
The Suitcases you see above are new!  They were both purchased at a local store for only a few dollars and transformed with paint and transfer techniques.  I forgot to take a before picture (ARGH!), but I found them at a local discount store and they were originally black polka dot with a French/Paris design.
 
They were cute enough...but, I wanted to turn them into something vintage looking and useable in the farmhouse style home.  So, after spray painting the inside with metallic gold (easy cover up for all the color going on and I love how the original design comes through) I painted the exteriors with acrylic paint and stamped them with two of my favorite vintage French graphics!  They are great display pieces in my booth and pretty inexpensive to create!
Here's a shot of my Booth taken a few days ago....can't believe it's time to ready the store for the Holidays.  Wow!  This has been a fast-paced year for me.  How about you?
 
Things are always changing and after the first of the year I'm going to add some new elements...not sure yet just what I'm going to do, but something!
Oh...and just in case you think I've totally abandoned all I once did...here are a couple of pictures of two Christmas Stockings I just recently uploaded to my website (both are sold).
 One in whites and creams...
And one in pink.  This one was purchased by new Nana for her sweet baby grand-girl!

Hope you are excited about the holidays like I am...

Blessings...

14 comments:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Your booth is beyond gorgeous!! I have found exactly the same thing. I have sold more fluffy girly things online than in my booth

Carol

Tamara said...

Hi Rebecca,
I am so glad to see back on a regular basis. I have missed you! I have thought of you so many times in the past several months. Your booth is lovely. It's interesting how things are sought after in different settings. Your suitcases are just beautiful! As always.

Blessings and hugs,
Tamara

NanaDiana said...

Your booth is just wonderful, Rebecca. Isn't it funny what sells and what doesn't? How interesting that nothing pink sells in your booth and yet it does online. Those suitcases are darling and so are your stockings. Everything just looks great. You have been a busy, busy girl!

How does Mr AGP like his new job? Hope it is going well for him. xo Diana

Theresa said...

The year has flown right by and it is kinda sad to me! I want time to slow down! I love your booth and I know you have lots of people standing in there with ooohs and ahhhs:) Enjoy your weekend dear friend, HUGS!

Connie said...

I understand what you're saying. I also moved to a "backward" state 20 years ago to retire with my hubby. It was a radical change from California but I absolutely love it here.

My walls in every single room are pink with bright pure white trim and I love it. Most people paint their homes for the people who are going to buy it later. I've never done that. I want MY colors. I decorate sort of English, French, Comfort, Ethan Allen, and ME. I don't care what other people think about my decorating because I'm the one who lives in it and it has to make ME happy. There isn't a woman OR man who hasn't come in here and felt comfortable and complimented me on how peaceful and beautiful it is.

So I understand what you mean about your "locals", honey. They're not brave enough to paint the colors they really want. To be beige is a non-color and dirty-looking...to ME. If that's what others want to paint their homes, fine. I couldn't live with it. It's depressing for me. I love white and pink, red, yellow for my home.

Also, no reclining furniture for me. Doctors, physical therapists and chiropractors have told me that's the worst thing in the world for your back/body. We're to sit in a natural position for our bodies to age well. I've never had reclining furniture. Just do not like it and hard on bodies.

Okay, my rant. Sorry, but I believe as you do. Homes are to be beautiful and reflect its occupants. And my hubby is a retired Marine and indulges my every whim! ;-) Do what you love is my motto.

xoxo,
Connie

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Rebecca,
Your booth is stunning and I love everything about it. You have always inspired me to make my booth pretty and to sell only the things that I love.
I agree with you about the pink. It just doesn't sell anymore. However, I still love it and maybe I'll try listing some of the things I've made on Etsy or Ebay. Thanks for that advice.
Keep creating and making the world a prettier place!

hugs
Sissie

Barbie said...

Oh Rebecca!
Everything looks so wonderful. I just love everything you do and you so inspire us all!
Lord bless you!

Barbie
Acts 1:8

mariondee-designs said...

Hi Rebecca, your booth looks beautiful! Hopefully pink will come back in fashion sooner rather than later! take care, Maryann

Blessings from Cindy said...

Rebecca~ It has been a long time since I visited blogs. Your booth is wonderfully beautiful!! As are your stockings! Have a wonderful holiday season!
Blessings,
Cindy

lynn cockrell said...

Your booth is absolutely beautiful. The stockings are too!

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

No matter what you make it is all beautiful! I just put out my lovely Christmas pillow that you made. It is my favorite not to mention your hand painted pink ornaments that I cherish. I wish you still did a few for us die hard pink lovers.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Jen said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Rebecca! Hope you are selling lots and not forgetting to have fun in the process...lol
Take care
Jeannette

Donatella said...

Tutto stupendo e meraviglioso cara...
beautiful Rebecca...
saluti da Donatella

Carolyn said...

Hi Rebecca!! I humbly thank you for your sweet words on Facebook and encouragement to my daughter!!

I have a great idea for you for your shop! I bought two antique camel back trunks for my daughters for them to open when I'm gone...it will hold all the letters I've worked on this past year, one of my teapots and cup, along w cozy house slippers, and few other special things from their childhood, and a tin of memory verses and a devotional book. I wanted the inside of the trunk dolled up like you had done w your train cases. I considered sending the trunks to you but the cost would be outrageous! At one time I definitely could have dolled it up myself but not anymore. Anyway, I definitely wanted to pass the idea on to you for perhaps the shop or local buyers. And you know trunks that big might be impossible to get your money back after you put all the work into it. So possibly it's just an idea for your daughter and granddaughter. I found out real quick little girls love trunks!! :D

Merry Christmas and enjoy your sweet family!!!! BTW, my granddaughters LOVE their PINK Christmas stockings!! :D

Blog Archive