While I was away recuperating my Mr. AGPMan and I were still able to a FEW makeover projects! Doing any kind of painting was challenging for me and I worked very, very slow!
Mostly I just pointed and directed and bossed my guy around!
(I sorta love doing that sometimes!)
Sometime back I purchased several pieces of antique furniture that included two twin beds (headboard and footboard)! I actually had them for quite awhile before deciding just what to do with them. I love signage, but I didn't want a bunch of permanent wording underneath the early resin motif (original to the furniture) that spanned the center front area.
As much as I love "signs" I don't want my entire house to be filled up with things someone has to read!
All the pieces I purchased were in rough shape and hailed from the very early 1900's. So, that made the set at least 100 years old. Some of the beaded accents were falling off and the original paint finish was coming off in lots and lots of places.
I started off painting the headboards (one for me and one for my booth!) a tannish taupe color and followed that with black in random places!
After the tan/black was completely dry I added several coats of white flat paint. It was applied with a hash-stroke technique where you first paint diagonally one way and then the other way~ sorta like making "X's" before doing vertical and horizontal strokes.
This painting technique is a bit slower than just painting an entire piece in one direction.
But...what fun would that be!?
After all the paint was dry I applied dark wax (pretty much any brand will work, but I like Annie Sloan the best!) with a tiny brush into the cracks and crevices, buffing it out as I went. The dark wax was followed by a coat or two of clear wax.
A wood shelf was added by my Mr. AGPMan at the bottom edge where the legs used to be. A large, thick piece of reclaimed wood (love the old original finish) was attached with brackets (from Hobby Lobby) to each side. Finished it off with a bit of clear wax to the wood to brighten it up before hanging the piece on the wall (heavy-duty brackets were attached to the back).
Because I wanted to use this great old find in our largest bathroom, I added a sign to the top (easily removed) that simply says "Le Bain". It was made from an old dresser-drawer front. I love that you can see the original keyhole...
The "Beauty" sign you see above hangs over the bathroom mirror. I have plans to replace the mirror with something else...but right now I haven't found anything I really love.
The other cabinet you see is a newer piece purchased a Lowe's. We desperately needed more storage in this bathroom and I couldn't find a vintage cabinet that worked. I painted it with flat paint before gently distressing it!
At the frosted privacy window I hung a fabulous vintage tablecloth...it has the most beautiful white floral embroidery I've seen in a while. One edge was turned down for a simple casing and tied up with a piece of tattered cloth and twine.
And there you have it! Honestly...this was a pretty simple makeover that anyone could do if you can find the right piece!
Hope you loved visiting today. Sure has been challenging getting my head back into blogging...but I'm going to do it if at all possible.
Big hugs and love to you~