Monday, September 5, 2011

~ A SHABBY ROMANTIC BED OF WHITE~

~CREAMY WHITE VINTAGE BED~

A couple of weeks ago I shared with you some of the sweet finds my friend, Judy, and I found while out junkin' and slummin' in the state of Oklahoma.  Spending time with one of my longtime friends has been a God-send for me this summer!  With my Mr. AGPMan being back in school he hasn't been able to join me much on the garage and estate sale circuit!  Lots of studying time is needed for his classes (and CLEP tests!), but one day soon he'll be done and I'm going to jump up and down like a crazeeee fool when he walks across that stage with his degree in Computer Science in hand!!!
~BEFORE HER PAINT JOB~

One of my Fall Projects includes the makeover of one of the rooms in our La Chaumière de Briarwood.  I've thought for the longest time about the direction I've wanted to go...starting only with the idea I wanted to return it to a romantic guest bedroom.  I found this amazing vintage bed at a local estate sale and I just fell in love with the turned spindles and intricate trim work.
~LOVELY DETAIL WORK~

I generally hand-paint furniture...  But, as much as I didn't want to do it, I hauled out my paint sprayer to do the paint job on this bed.  Just the thought of hand painting each of the nineteen spindles made me wince a bit.  Using the electric sprayer helped me get the bed painted in no time.  Clean-up was another story!  I made a deal with my hubby...I'd paint the bed if he'd clean up the mess!
SWEET DEAL!
~BEAUTIFUL HEADBOARD~

While painting the bed I realized that all four of the bed's finials were a just a tad different!  No doubt they were hand-turned.  LOVE THAT!
~HAND TURNED FINIALS~

Last Friday I spent part of the day picking out paint samples for the new wall color.  I'm wanting to continue with the same romantic cottage look in this room as I have in the other rooms in my home,but without using pink!  I've been leaning towards a very, very pale Robin's Egg Blue color and was shocked to see just how many shades there are of blue...
~LOTS OF COLOR SWATCHES~

The first group of color cards were all wrong!  Too much green and not enough subtle blue.  So, I went back to the paint store again and chose yet another batch of samples!  I'm pretty sure I've nailed down the right color...
~COOL ELEGANCE~

I love this soft, simple shade!  It's called Cool Elegance and it's from Lowe's (Valspar).  Paired up with the Cottage White (Behr Paint/Home Depot) I've used for the bed I'm excited to see how it all turns out!  This project will take me close to Thanksgiving.  We have out-of-town guests joining us again this year for the holidays and I'm happy about them staying in our newly refashioned guest room!

Hope you are spending your Labor Day with friends and family...

Love to you...

32 comments:

Brenda ~ The Heminger Farmhouse said...

I knew the bed would turn out to look fabulous, and it sure has!!! Love the color you've chosen to paint the walls in your guest room, and can't wait 'till it's all put together! I know you will be on the hunt to find just the right accessories to finish the room off :) What fun!!

Happy Labor Day to you!

Warmest hugs, Brenda

Sue @ Not the Good Scissors! said...

It turned out beautiful. Yikes, I know about paint sprayers. It is a love-hate thing but I would have done the same thing. That was so sweet that he did the clean up for you.

Blues are tricky but so beautiful and calming. I think you are going to enjoy it. It will be a pleasant change. I am going to have to look for the Cool Elegance. I am going to repaint the bedroom and that looks like just the blue I am looking for.

Hugs, Sue

Anonymous said...

Looking at the bed as you found it I would have a hard time painting it....BUT.... as much as I love white for my bedroom I definitely would paint it too. In fact I am now looking for 2 dressers for my room & they will be white to match my bed. Everytime I say that I can see DH cringe!! LOL!!
Can't wait to see the outcome of your makeover!!
Love, Marilyn

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I can barely wait to see it! I know it will be great! I am sharing your paint name with a friend of mine who is also looking for a soft blue color for her mater bedroom!

Linda said...

That will be fun to have that shade of blue in your guest room with that beautiful bed! Can't wait to see it all come together Rebecca. I know it will be wonderful!

Isn't it so nice to have a helpful Hubby? Mine is so good to me...and I thank God for him.

Have a lovely day!

Love, Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Marilyn said...

Thank you both for working on this beautiful bed! I've never spray painted like that, but I can imagine the mess of cleaning up a sprayer. Now I can't wait to see more. You are the best at making us want more, more, MORE! (I was teaching my niece's baby to sign more, sorry got carried away!)♥♫

Unknown said...

That bed turned out beautiful! It is going to look so good with the blue paint you picked out. I can't wait to see how you dress this room. You have the best ideas.

Debbie said...

That bed is gorgeous Rebecca! I would have sprayed it too. I like the distressing you did on it.
Everything will lovely once you get finished...looking forward to seeing the room all pretty.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Beautiful bed Rebecca. I love all the detailing and the color that you painted it is perfect. I cannot wait to see the romantic room you are creating.

hugs
Sissie

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,

What a lovely bed it is now. Love that color name; cool elegance!
Yes, we've spent Labor Day with friends and family and our day is over now.
Love to you,

Mariette

ShabbyESP said...

Happy Labor Day Rebecca!!!
Love the bed!!! It is still too hot here in Orlando to go outside to paint. Looking forward to the cooler weather it has been so hot here.
Thanks for stopping by for a visit and leaving your sweet comment. Actually my middle name is Suzann but I NEVER go by my first name (ugh)
I am the oldest and my birthday is in September along with my sister (Sept 2) that is one year younger. My mother used to dress us as twins and we always had to celebrate our birthdays together.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend you do good work!!!
Suzann ~xoxo~

FredaB said...

Hi Rebecca

I went through the same thing last Spring at our home in Florida. I wanted the bedroom and bathroom re-painted and was trying to find the right gray-blue-pale aqua. took lots of little cans and lots of splashes on the walls but finally found the right one. Just takes time - too many choices for us these days.

That bed is absolutely beautiful. You will be wanting to sleep in the guest room yourself.

Hugs

FredaB

GwendolynKay said...

That bed is amazing!! And you know I love blues... cool blue is very chic, great choice!
Blessings and hugs~

Kim B said...

The bed looks wonderful. I am sure that room will turn out fabulous. I cant wait to see it. Have a lovely week. Hugs, Kim

Mona Kay Gorman said...

Love the bed!! I still spray the tricky pieces :)

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Beautiful choice of color Rebecca! That bed is gorgeous and is going to look fabulous against the wall color! Can't wait to see it when it makes it debut!~Hugs, Patti

Nancy's Notes said...

Rebecca, everything you touch turns out sensational! What an elegant headboard and the color, priceless!

I've missed your blog and happy to be back! It's been a busy summer and I'm looking forward to following your unique blog!

Nancy

Kerri said...

I knew that bed was going to look good in white! Are you going to paint pink roses on it too? That would be pretty yummy ya know! Looking forward to the finished room :)

Have a blessed week!

xoxo
Kerri

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Hi Rebecca, you did a wonderful job painting the bed, it's gorgeous. I can't wait to see you room when you get finished with it. I love the color that you picked out it's very pretty!!!
hugs~~~ Daphne

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I can't wait to see how it turns out, I am interested to see how you think it flows with the rest of the pink & white in the house.

Carol

June said...

Oh I knew that bed would be gorgeous painted Rebecca, and it sure is!!!!
hugs from here...

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Rebecca,
The bed turned out great and I am really looking forward to seeing the finished room. I bet you are too!! LOL!!
I know it will be drop dead gorgeous like the rest of your home.....

Hugs,
Debbie

KatyDidStitches said...

LOVE the bed, Rebecca! You did a beautiful job!

I'm not a fan of paint sprayers, either...but my hubbin is. So...if he insists on using the sprayer...HE does the painting AND cleans up the mess!

Now...I realize my ignorance may be showing...but what are CLEP tests?

Kathy

Anonymous said...

what a great bed! Very nice, Rebecca!! ♥ Well now, a spray painter would be just the thing! I can just imagine the mess I'd make with that!

You must be so proud of your hubby!

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Hello dear Rebecca! Oh my goodness, this bed is just gorgeous! Wow, would I love to be a guest in that pretty room when it's done! Love the color too. Can't wait to see it all decorated. How nice your sweet hubby helped you clean up.

Love and hugs,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

I am having a Halloween Giveaway... Come on over!!
Marilyn

Julie Marie said...

Hi Rebecca... my goodness, you are a busy lady!... where do you get all that energy???... hope you had a nice Labor Day weekend... much love to you, xoxo Julie Marie

Charlotte said...

Beautiful - absolutely beautiful. I love the bed painted white. Your pink blog is gorgeous.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Tara said...

It looks just beautiful Rebecca. I can completely understand about the need to pull out the paint sprayer. Having painted my share of spindles, I wish I had one myself!

Linda Breedlove said...

The bed looks fabulous... just like all your gorgeous treasures! Love your work!!!

Deanna said...

turned out beautiful!

Unknown said...

Did you put a glaze or something over the white? The need looks great.

Blog Archive