Wednesday, November 14, 2012

~PICTURE PERFECT~

 
 Over the past few months I've collected over three dozen petite picture frames from our local thrift stores and today I'm giving you a sneak peek at their transformation!  Just a handful...but boy are they sweet...
 I never pay much for old mini frames...fifty cents to one dollar is about my speed and if I can snag them on half-off day, well then, all the bettah!!!!
I love it that this one still has the original JCPenney tag.  You can't see it in the picture but the original price was .39.  WOW!  I'm guessing this one came from the mid 1960's or so!
This one is the newest of the bunch.  Not my favorite, but I loved it more after it was painted!
 
 My favorite are the older frames that are ornate in design.  Most are made of pot-metal and sometimes an early resin.  This one is just gorgeous to me!
 Here it is with a picture of my paternal Grandma Bethel with her big sister.  I made copies of my old prints and love it that you can cut~cut~cut~away without worry of ruining a vintage or antique original!
 Love this frame even though it's newer...probably from the 80's.  I remember selling some like this in hunter green back when I owned my own store.
This frame is also from the 50's or 60's.  I paid a quarter for this one because it was missing the back.  Since I plan on hanging them all on my Christmas Tree this year it didn't matter to me if it had a back or not.  I made a new one out of cardboard.  This picture is also of my Grandma Bethel...she's in the front on the right.  I think my Miss K really favors her (but maybe it's just me!)...
Here is my handsome father back in 1955!  He was in the Navy and this is what he looked like when he met and married my mother.  Swoooon....  This sweet little frame was actually a mirror so I had to use a plastic sheet for a cover!
My maternal Grandparents, my Grandpa Philip and my Gramma Bertie.  Both of these photos were taken in 1945.  My grandmother had this picture taken at the request of my grandfather while away serving in the Army Air Corp.  He said he wanted to show all the young boys what a beautiful mature woman looked like.  She was 29 years old in the photo...  The frame holding her photograph came from Hobby Lobby!  It was $2 after the 50% store sale!
  Here's what I did to get the look...

First I primed all the frames with Zinsser Primer.  Then I spray painted them all white!  After they were completely dry I wiped them down with Annie Sloan's Dark Wax and then quickly wiped it off.  Too yellowy for you?  Put some alcohol on a soft cloth and gently wipe over the surface.  This will leave your paint in tact, but remove the hazy yellow you sometimes see.  Don't leave it on too long or press too hard or all your paint will come off or wrinkle up! :(

Can't wait to put up our Christmas Tree this year!  I'm going for a new look and I'm excited to get started...

Don't forget the deadline to enter my FREE PILLOW GIVEAWAY ends tomorrow!  Check it out HERE if you are interested.  SOMEBODY is going to win SOMETHING FUN!

Hope your Wednesday is fab!  Sharing today with 
IVY and ELEPHANTS for 
WHAT'S IT WEDNESDAY
and
The Brambleberry Cottage for
TIME TRAVEL THURSDAY
   
Love to you...

20 comments:

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,
That is quite a history of photos but so nice to have! You did a great job on treating all your little frames at once; making them 'kin' and look-alike.
Enjoy whatever you're doing and for sure Grandma Bethel will be smiling down. You are right about Miss K and her.
Hugs,
Mariette

Cheryl said...

I have such a passion for mini frames and yours painted ones are stunning. I have photo's of my grandchildren in some very small Victorian frames that are bejeweled and I hang them on my Christmas Tree.
Hugs
Cxxx

Donna said...

Rebecca,
Inspiration galore! I have lots of old frames I need to use your technique on. Love all the pics of your family. You can never have too many of them!
Hugs,
Donna

Terra said...

These tiny frames that you prettified are treasures, with family photos in them. They will look cute hanging on your tree.

Anonymous said...

Love the frames!
As soon as I saw the one of your grandmother, I was struck with how much she looked like your Miss K!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Oh lovely frames, thanks for sharing those good lookin family photos.
Just came from Hobby Lobby...and some resale shops but Christmas sure has some beautiful colors this year!!
Not quite in the mood..our weather is wonderful today. sun, no wind and 60 LOVE IT. Enjoy your day

Anne said...

Beautiful frames Rebecca.Oh I can't wait to see your tree! I know with your magic touch it will look beautiful!
xx
Anne

Kim Gillian said...

Looking forward to seeing your Christmas Tree! I have a lot of old frames..???

myletterstoemily said...

i love how you worked vintage frames
into a little history lesson of you sweet
family.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I too have been collecting frames for my tree--you bet me to painting them though! You did a great job with them. Can't wait to see your tree!

Janet said...

I love how you've transformed those frames and especially love how you've added your own family photos to them!

NanaDiana said...

Those are just darling, Rebecca. What a cute, cute idea. They will look wonderful on your beautiful white tree- xo Diana

Ivy and Elephants said...

This is such a fabulous idea! I can't wait to see your gorgeous frames on a tree filled with your family photos. Amazing!
We'd love to have you share it with us at What's It Wednesday.
Hugs,
Patti

EllenaElizabeth said...

Some lovely finds there Rebecca. I just love when you find something old and the original price sticker is on it.

Theresa said...

Beautiful transformation:) Have a blessed day dear Rebecca! HUGS!

NanaNor's said...

Rebecca, Congratulations-you won my book giveaway. Please email me your address and I will ship it to you.
Hugs, Noreen

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I have to say I am always so inspired when I stop by-you are so blessed with creating such lovely items! Hope you've had a blessed day my friend.
Love, Noreen

Jennelise said...

These are beautiful! What a lovely idea!
Jennelise

Ann said...

Your mini frame are simply darling. Can't wait to see your tree.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh my... Sweet Rebecca... LOVE, love, LOVE this idea. It's too late for me this year, but I think I might give this a whirl next year. So pretty and sentimental too.

xoxoxoxo
Spence

Blog Archive