Thursday, July 8, 2010

~LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING...and a SIMPLY FABULOUS OLD FIND~

 ~SWEET OLD FINDS~

A few weeks ago I visited one of my local antique malls and it was there I found an amazing old find that I was absolutely convinced needed to come home with me. It was an antique hotel key/mail sorter and it was made of solid oak. It had the majority of the embossed metal room numbers on the front and to be well over 100 years old the aging cabinet was in fabulous condition. I'd been looking for SOMETHING for over a year to hold my huge collection of vintage ribbons and laces but to no avail. I don't have much room left in my sewing studio and so I knew immediately the cabinet would be perfect...
~LOVE THE VINTAGE JARS~

So...did I purchase it? Nope!

Why you ask? Well...because it was over $500 and that was WAAAAAAAY over my budget. My heart was sick. As much as I loved it I couldn't imagine myself painting out such a piece of history (you know my LOVE for cottage white paint) even though I desperately wanted to.  Besides...my hubbs would have said a big fat "NO!" and that would have been the END of the conversation.  He's as big a wheeler-dealer as I am and that price was NEV-VAH gonna fly with him.
 ~GREAT MAKEOVER PROJECT~

Fast-forward to yesterday.

On Wednesday morning my Mr. AGPMan and I took a break from our 2nd bath remodel project and decided to make our way to Enid, Oklahoma via a small town called Kingfisher for a day of junk-store-shoppin'.  As you probably know by now it IS one of our favorite things to do together.  After lunching on Oklahoma's famous Okarche Chicken :), we drove on into Kingfisher and stopped at a little dive I honestly hadn't been to in over eight years.
~VINTAGE RHINESTONE BUTTONS & PINS~

My guy and walked inside the steely blue building and due to it's junky-looking appearance I found myself eager to make my way through the maze of stuff that lined the many aisles.  The place had more nooks and crannies than I have words to describe!

Looks can truly be deceiving!

Why had I waited so long to return to this dump???
~VINTAGE SEWING DRAWERS~
~CHARMING VINTAGE PLATE~
~FABULOUS PINK HAT FOR $1.00~

All the neat old things you see pictured above we found under the roof of that forlorn looking dive shoppe.

After checking out and spending less than $30 (don't hate me) we drove up through Waukomis (I thought of you Ginger!) and on into Enid.  I haven't shopped too much in this town and truly had no idea what I would find.  Our trusty GPS would help us navigate our way to several wonderful places...

I love shopping in the great state of Oklahoma!

You really should come visit us!  We ROCK!

Anyway...we found more neat old things (I'll share soon!) before pulling into the last stop of the day!  It was there I found something that caused me to lose my breath...
~WHAT A FIND!~

Around the corner of a very crowded booth (love that) I found this fabulous vintage hotel key/mail cabinet!  I couldn't believe my eyes...

Hanging on the wall right in front of my face was this fabulous antique cubby that was very, very similar to the one I had passed on buying a few weeks before.  Although it wasn't quite as old as the local one and the room markers had been removed (which would have been neat but not a must-have!) I was mesmerized.  I just stood there staring at the old thing...

Now...I had to hunt for a few seconds for the price which to be honest with you always makes me a bit nervous!  When I finally found the hang tag it was turned backwards...
~BE STILL MY HEART~

I reached for the yellowed ticket and carefully flipped it around...

It read...

TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS
($25.00)

Whhhaaaat?  WaaHHHT?  WHAAAAAAAT?

I immediately began running like a crazy woman  calling out for my guy to help me get it off the wall for me because I was near faint!  I knew beforehand he was NOT going to say NO this time!

After paying the nice man at the counter we loaded up our 2die4 purchase and began to make our way back home!

Now...after I paint out my latest treasure (spray-gun here!) my Mr. AGPMan is going to add a permanent back to the cabinet to square the sides.  I can hardly wait to hang it in place and fill 'er up!!!  I'll be sure to post pictures soon!

Today I'm feeling like I'm pretty much "BAD TO THE BONE!"...:)

~*~

Thank you God for finding a way to give me another 'little desire' of my heart!

Love to you all this AWESOME Summer Day~

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Rebecca I am one jealous girl here but so happy you discovered a treasure to make up for the 1st one! I know the feeling well! Can't wait to see the end results:)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love it when that happens!! You don't buy something because you know it is too expensive and then there is the next perfect thing for a fabulous price. I can't wait to see it done! Love all you wonderful vintage finds in the shoppe!!
I love to go junkin with my guy also!

Patti said...

Oh, how wonderful!!! You passed by what you knew you couldn't afford and, lo and behold, you get something just as nice for SO MUCH less!! What a blessing.

It's really lovely. Can't wait to see it when it's painted white.

Also, love the little plate and the gorgeous hat.

Blessings and hugs,
Patti

Heather said...

LOL!!! SCORRRRE! That is so stinkin awesome! What a find indeed. Thought I'd let you know that I picked up one of your treasures yesterday when I went shopping, it was from Miss C , a darling wooden writing box. LOVE IT, although I don't adore my bills, they will reside in there. Have a wonderful time filling up your cubby. Hugs- Heather

Julie Marie said...

Oooh Rebecca, how wonderful! See, we talked about how things happen for a reason... I am soo happy you got your little hotel mail~key box and can't wait to see how you finish it! Love, love love all your other treasures... tried to email you and it said "undeliverable" again??? Anyway, just checking on how your dear sister is, and my little order with the vintage glove box... will you email me if you get a chance... not sure why mine aren't going through again... xoxo Julie Marie

Blondie's Journal said...

Rebecca, this is a great story that you can tell when people are complimenting your cabinet!! It really is going to look lovely and I am so happy you found what you wanted and needed!! :-)

xoxo
Janie

Unknown said...

What a neat find! It was meant to be yours. Since the first one was so pricey, it's inevitable that a more reasonably priced one would come your way. Good things come to those who wait!

Nancy

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

OH! Well...you know....I was just going to buy that! I had just stepped around the corner to ask for someone to take it from the wall for me...and...well...there you were carting it off..like you owned it.
What do you mean, I live clear out in California and never been there... :) OF COURSE I was! Didn't you see me? Now just pack that sweet baby up and ship it out here to California...and I will tell all blogland how wonderful you are! No. I will!
They already know? Ah well, it doesn't hurt to try! :)
I LOVE it and can already imagine how it will look when it is all painted and done!
So..have you started on it yet?? Hmmmmm??

Sitting here in my red mini skirt..just typing away to you...
Hugs,
Mona

A Southern Rose said...

Rebecca, It's gonna be so beautiful whenever you get finished with it. I can't wait to see it. It's gonna be perfect for your studio to hold all of your ribbons, etc.

You were very blessed with this find.

Hugs,
Lee Laurie

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Yep Girl, you are "Bad To The Bone!"
You are also a lucky duck!!! I love all your finds and especially the mail box!!

hugs
Sissie

Lululiz said...

Oh yes, I agree, that cubby hole thingy is fantastic, and it will look fabulous after your makeover. But what really stole my heart was that sweet little pink hat! $1 for that gorgeous little treasure! Sigh.

Lululiz said...

Oh yes, I agree, that cubby hole thingy is fantastic, and it will look fabulous after your makeover. But what really stole my heart was that sweet little pink hat! $1 for that gorgeous little treasure! Sigh.

Stacey said...

Rebecca you crack me up! I can just picture you wanting to do cartwheels but trying to act like it's no big deal. Great find!

Unknown said...

And don't forget you SAVED $475.00 so you still have shopping money! LOLOLOL You lucky girl you.

Oklahoma Granny said...

What a find you made! It's going to be perfect in your room.

Ginny said...

Rebecca, I want to go junkin with you!! What fabulous finds! And the best part is your hubby went with you and you had FUN!

Anonymous said...

I was out blog-hopping this afternoon, waiting for for the rain that was supposed to "explode" around 1 p.m. and which hasn't so far by late afternoon, and this anticipation of precip has become such a way of life in Oklahoma this July,...but I regress. Anyway, I followed the crumbs to your delightful and insightful blog and became an instant fan/follower/groupie. On days when my wanderlust is confined to the house, I can go junkin' and thriftin' and dreamin' on your blog.

Liz (aka Ninny)

Dorothy said...

Hi Rebecca...I always love making these "seek and find" trips with you and your guy by way of your blog. Too fun! Even more fun is when you stumble upon that "I can't believe my eyes treasure." Our God must have a huge smile across His face at seeing your eyes pop with delight. Enjoy!!

kluless said...

Days like that are exactly what keep us hunting and gathering! Love that pink hat and only $1 - oh my gosh, lucky you!

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Oh Rebecca I had started to cry when you talked about walking away from the first one, I am so very happy you came across the second one!
When something is meant to be yours it will find it's way to you....
Tina xo

Brenda ~ The Heminger Farmhouse said...

Hi Rebecca :) Oh Wowzers!! I'm lovin' all the great treasures you found, and can't wait to see what you've done with them once you've given your magic touch to them :)

What a lucky girl you are!!!

Warmest hugs, Brenda

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Good things, no, make that GREAT things, come to those who wait! My mamma always says that! LOVE all your treasures!! Show that finished piece soon!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Char said...

Hello Rebecca, you and I are as different as night and day. While you live in a beautiful world of cottage white, I live in a beautiful world of rich woods. I had to laugh at the fact that you found a treasure you just couldn't bring yourself to paint. That is the way I feel about any wood, I just can't cover all the gorgeous grain and the patina that only time and history can give.
That being said my friend, you diffenently had an angel on your shoulder, looking out for you. You did find your treasure afterall, and one on which you could paint and fit right into your special place. I am happy that your wish and dream came true. I am also happy to know that the lovely oak will not be receiving any white paint afterall.
I have tried to see what type of wood the piece you found is made from, looks like pine, but hard for me to tell. I think that may be a good thing!! ha.
Be well sweet Rebecca and I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this lovely find. Char

Tanza said...

Woohooo for you Sweet one !! LoVe that find !! I can soo picture that all re-done and overflowing with your ribbons and lace !! It will look quite Fab !! You go GiRl !! Always something beautiful to be found, IF we just be patient and look ... I'm thrilled for you !! I'm loving those jars too !! LoVe and HuGs to you my dear, sweet treasure hunting friend ~
BiG HuGs ~TeA~ xo

Rose said...

you have a great nose to find these places and items.

Pat @ My Tattered Elegance said...

Oh Rebecca, isn't GOD good! You put it out there and he gives it to you. I am simply amazed at how he works, that wonderful lovely way He works in our lives.

I am soooo happy for you and can't wait to see it in all its glory after you do your thing.

I love hearing stories like this one, and I love wonderful things happening to wonderful ladies like you.
Hugs, Pat

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

That is a great story! Can't wait to see how it turns out!~Patti

Unknown said...

G'eve Rebecca ~ I am so excited that you found such a lovely treasure for your work room ... it will be awesome when you are done re-creating it, I know. I can hear you squealing with delight now.

Kingfisher is where Harold's family is from ... we enjoyed antiquing when we were there, probably the same places as you. Glad you had such a fruitful & enjoyable day.

I haven't heard where to mail your friend's family the donation money to.

How is Lyn, doing better I do pray.

Checking on the 2 wee shoes ... so anxious to show them off when you are done making them gorgeous.

Have a lovely summers eve ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Doni said...

Wow!! What a great and blessed find those all are! Especially your new cabinet which I'm DYING to see completed, hung, and filled with beautiful lace and fun stuff.
Hurry!!! And Congrats! Doni

The Polka Dot Closet said...

You had me hooked, what a great story and such a happy ending! I am so happy for you! What a great find! I can't wait to see it finished!

Carol

Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

It's just wonderful when we can (re) find a place that we thought we may never come back to...and discover thta it has treasures galore.

That rose plate is my favorite..am very jealous.


Rose

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh wow, Rebecca,
I'm ecstatic for you!!!! All of this is amazing!!!
I wanted to tell you that I've got a Linky party on my blog Friday July 9-Sunday the 11...
Nothing to make...easy peasy...just need a photo of your spiritual place...can be inside or outdoors...
Hugs,
Cindy
P.S. Hope you're doin' great!

Dolores said...

Goodness..... how I'm wishing I had some neat shops like you have in your area.
Your purchases are awesome.....
I love this post.... you're so cute!

Anonymous said...

Thumbs up! ♥

Mosaic Magpie said...

I always say if I keep looking, I will find it. Same goes for you, if you are patient, it will come to you. I have been wanting another old printer tray, only smaller than the ones I have. I found one yesterday for $2.00! I, like you, ran to pay for it. Doesn't take much to make us happy!
Debbie

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

You know something that usually happen to me too, quite often. Isn't it a good thing you waited..... what a fabulous piece that's for sure and I'm very happy for you. I'm sure it's going to look Beautiful!

Hugs*

Terra said...

Rebecca, how thrilling to find your ideal purchase for $25 and not for the big $500.
I used one of your Christmas postcards on my blog today (July 9) that you so generously said I can use, and I gave the link to your blog, so some of my followers may come over and say hi to you.
Thank you.

Jacoba said...

Your post is very cheery, it made me laugh! Yes, is it not truly wonderful to find something you need just by accident?
I could do with pigeon holes like that. At the moment I am collecting baskets, jars, boxes to put all my stuff in, but the thing is - when will I have time?? Well, retirement is appearing slowly on the horizon.
Have a happy day, Rebecca, and enjoy your find and the things you do with it.
Jacoba

GwendolynKay said...

Hi Rebecca,
My computer is cooperating again and I wanted to pop in and say Hello. Your page is always so lovely and uplifting.
Blessings always:)
Gwen

Anonymous said...

Rebecca you find the most amazing things! Love the cubby hole piece and the sweet hat!

Read you all the time though I am terrible at commenting lately- your blog is a favorite-

Thanks for commenting on my arbor my son made for me! I sure love showing it off!

bee blessed
mary

fannipauline said...

I so envy all of the fun places you have to shop. Here in the desert there are no such places. I have not bee back to Missouri to shop since my hubby got sick and then passed away. You are blessed indeed to have the wonderful little area to shop. I really don't need that much, but oh how I love antiques and vintage linens. Hugs........Pauline

Jo said...

What a great story...! It had been sitting there waiting for you all along. You wre meant to have it.

I love visiting your gorgeous (!!!) blog. :-)

Ginger said...

Ok now I'm the one mad!!! You came right through Waukomis and didn't call me? I'm kidding, I'm glad you got to come see what our little city has to offer. Did you get it at the Emporium? Aren't they great? I make a trek there every weekend. Glad you found such a great find.

Ginger

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Score! This was a touchdown, two extra points, and a field goal rolled into one! I'm happy for you for this find, Rebecca!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Kit said...

Oh it was soooo meant to be! I love that you found this find. Enjoy it and I can't wait to see it when it is finished. Kit

English Cottage in Georgia said...

What luck!!! Truly is is not luck, it is a blessing to have found a second cabinet at such a wonderful price. Don't you just love the gentle reminders and acknowledgement from above:-)

Mollye said...

Love the little pink match box!

Barbara Jean said...

woo hoo!! Great finds. All wonderful

Loved you lamp combo in another post too.

blessings

barbara jean

Blog Archive