Monday, April 16, 2012

~BEDSPREAD REVISITED~

~BEDROOM CHANGES~

Today I'm giving you a little peek at my bedroom and my new spread!  Gone is the Matelasse coverlet and in it's place is a medium weight linen weave bedspread in natural white.  It's been years and years since I've had a bedspread on my bed.  I remember when my Mr. AGPMan and I were first married we had a quilted green and yellow floral spread (it was horrible!) and eventually that led to a thick quilt and then to the Matelasse coverlet.  In 2009 I shared a few pictures of our ever evolving bedroom.  You can check that post out here if you'd like...
~SIMPLE  LOVELY~

Because of the weightiness of the fabric it has wonderful form and drapes beautifully over the bed.  I've seen so much bedding I've loved over the past year or so...especially those billowy, gauzy, 2did4 offerings over at Bella Linens.  But...come on here!  A real-live-man sleeps in this bed with me and I need something a bit more practical for my beloved.  I left the crocheted bed-skirt in place and decided to use the coverlet as a blanket for spring and summer.  When fall and winter return I'll put my down comforter back in place.
~UP-CLOSE FABRIC~

We've used this same four-poster bed since 1983.  We purchased it when our son was only a year old and have loved it ever since!  I suspect I will have it until I no longer need a bed! :)  I painted it cottage white (Behr/Home Depot) in 2009 and it was a fabulous change after the cherry-wood finish we lived with for over 25 years...

The spread was fairly simple to make.  I took the measurements of the bed (length/width) and added 6" to the length and a 1" seam allowance all the way around.  I then used strips of fabric equal to 2 1/4 times the sides and width of the bed.  Because my bed has a foot-board I opted for split corners.  Serging the raw edges was a must with this fabric because it has a tendency to unravel.  It's hard to tell in the first picture but I also made one long pillow in matching fabric.  In front of that I have two vintage linen pillows handmade in France with feather inserts and two smaller decorative pillows.

Today I'm linking with:
Le Chateau des Fleurs
Happy Monday sweet friends!

Love to you...

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Rebecca, was worrying about you and I am glad you are safe after the terible storms. Beautiful bedspread. I want to paint my cherry bedroom white also but so far the hubby says no. Maybe some day. Have a great day.

EllenaElizabeth said...

I thoroughly enjoy looking back at fashiongs past.....great read. Thanks for sharing.

Jill said...

This is a breathtaking room!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Rebecca,
Your bedroom is lovely. The spread is gorgeous and I can't believe that you made it....well, yes I can. You are so ultra talented.

hugs
Sissie

Blondie's Journal said...

Your bedroom is so pretty! And so is the bedspread. I love the fabric! I'm looking for something lighter as summer approaches, I have layers of blankets and a down comforter for a winter that never was!

How are you doing with this terrible weather? It looks like we are going to have another day of storm alerts. Take care.

XO,
Jane

Susan said...

Rebecca, your bedroom is beautiful. I love this look!

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, that fabric! You did a wonderful job.

Blessings to you today,
Amy Jo

Theresa said...

Beautiful! I love it! Have a blessed day dear Rebecca, HUGS!

Victorian1885 said...

Gorgeous Rebecca.. great job on the bedspread! So Romantic and pretty as usual.. have a good week my friend!
Hugs,
Wanda

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Rebecca,
I'm so glad to see that all is well with you! When I saw the twisters on the weather network, I thought of you right away.

Your room is so pretty and you did a lovely job of the bedspread. I love white and cream in the bedroom. It's so soft and romantic! Thanks for sharing and have a delightful day, my friend.

Blessings and hugs,
Sandi

Linda said...

I read the post, and saw the pictures about the past bedspreads...and I just have to say..."You've come a long way baby!"
Your room is absolutely beautiful!

You are such a talented lady! I love you, and enjoy coming to your blog to experience the beauty here.

Through the years I have changed things a gazillion times....but I don't have pictures to show the progress. (I probably have some...but I don't know where they are right now! Ha!)

Maybe someday when I run across them I will do a blog post like this. (:>)

Have a delightful day sweet Rebecca.

Love, Linda

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Oh my goodness your new bed spread is just gorgeous!! Actually your whole room is gorgeous!!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Rebecca,
I love how your bedspread turned out! you did an amazing job on it (its sew perfect)and it looks really pretty in your room.I love the crocheted bed throw. I have two of them that my Grandma's Aunt had made. They are hanging on my quilt rack in the bedroom. I love your new blog look, its very easy to get around and read things. Have a sweet day and big hugs, Elizabeth
PS..How is your kitchen coming along..or did I miss a post. I think I better go back and check your posts..

White Lace and Promises said...

the beauty of your home never ceases to amaze me.

White Lace and Promises said...

The creation of your beautiful rooms never ceases to amaze me.

stefanie said...

its gorgeous!!!!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Your post made me think back to our previous bedspreads over the past 40 years. Eeek! What was I thinking??? I won't embarrass myself in describing what I thought was cool at the time. Your bed dressings look so pretty! I would love to paint our old cannonball bed and furniture but it just seems like tooooooo much work! ~Hugs, Patti

NanaDiana said...

Rebecca-That is just beautiful. I like it because it is feminine but also because it is not "frilly" because of the nubbiness of the fabric. A perfect choice to please you both- xo Diana

Lisalulu said...

I saw your comments over on Maggie's blog, and realized you are one special lady! after reading your blog, I'm sold YOU MOST CERTAINLY ARE! bravoo for you! I'm your newest follower.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh, it is sooo gorgeous! I love every inch of it! I'm sure the Mr. feels like he is in your boudoir!

Carol

Unknown said...

Hello my friend. Thank you for stopping by. Priscilla Hauser is in Tulsa, OK. I do not know how far that is from you, but she is a very talented painter and offers seminars.
I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the video you watched (as well as I can). My email is- dancing tea cup at g mail dot com. Please, do not hesitate to email me.
Blessings!

Sheryl said...

I was thinking back about my first married bedspread. It was a slate blue/brown/rust/cream patchwork printed comforter/dust ruffle/shams & curtains. Purchased it at Sears & Roebuck.

I had a dresser that was painted dark brown with rust ceramic knobs.

lol

Sheryl said...

I started thinking about my first married bedding. It was a comforter set from Sears that was a printed patchwork in light blue, brown, rust & cream. I even had matching curtains.

My dresser was painted a shiny enamel brown with rust ceramic knobs and a large rectangular mirror. I was so proud. lol.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca I have always loved this style of drop skirt bedspreads though I don't have nary a one in any of the 5 bedrooms! But you made yours- how fun and it looks like it might not be as hard as I was thinking. I love the closeup of the fabric it reminds me of barkcloth fabric which I love so much because of it's nubby texture.

Oh it looks so lovely on your bed!!

bee blessed
mary

Heaven's Walk said...

What a beautifully romantic bedroom, Rebecca! You did an amazing job putting together the quiet colors and textures. I don't think I'd ever want to get out of bed in the morning! Hugs to you, sweetie!

xoxo laurie

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Your bedroom is beautiful!

Unknown said...

My dream bedroom! Ohhhh
Thank you for linking up to the French party! Come back Monday!
XO
Isabelle

Blog Archive