Sunday, April 8, 2012

~EASTER BLESSINGS~

Dear Blogger Friends...

When I was a little girl and then well into adulthood one of my favorite hymns was entitled 
THE OLD RUGGED CROSS.
It was written by the Reverend George Bennard back in 1941 and for many years was included in most church hymnals.

I've sung this song more times than I can say and memorized long ago each word of all four stanzas.  The third verse is especially meaningful to me for it speaks personally to my own imperfect heart.  It says exactly what I've always struggled to put into words...

"In the old rugged cross,
Stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see.
For 'twas on that old cross
Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown."
 ~AS A CHILD on EASTER SUNDAY~

I've shared with you the picture above several times since I started blogging.  It was taken in 1963 on Easter Sunday in front of my childhood church in Hacienda Heights, California.  I deeply love this little photo and I'm so happy it has survived now for so many years.  I spent many a Sunday sitting inside this church and last week I was honored to visit it again.  Lots of life-lessons and Bible stories were learned in that building and it was there I also first learned to pray...
~OUTSIDE OUR CHILDHOOD CHURCH~

A chain link fence now surrounds the church making it impossible for my siblings and I to walk onto the property.  You can still see the same backdoor shown in the old photo taken with our parents.  Although noticeably tattered and worn I'm happy the church is still standing.

I love Easter and all it represents!

Today I wish you all a blessed holy day.  I pray for you peace, love, hope and forgiveness.

The very things I've found at the Cross.

Love to you...

17 comments:

Christmas-etc... said...

So beautiful! Loved see the photo of you and your family when you were a child!!!
Christ is Risen!!!
Blessings!
Ann

Theresa said...

Sweet pictures and sweeter memories:) I love the OLD RUGGED CROSS, one of my favorites from before I could talk! Have a blessed Easter dear Rebecca!

NanaDiana said...

Blessings to you, Rebecca, and your family on this wonderful Easter day. That song was my father's favorite. It is the first hymn I learned to play on the piano...and it has always given me comfort and brings me to tears when I hear it.

I have often thought about going back to visit the little church I went to as a young girl...maybe I will do that when I go home next Summer. xo Diana

Jen said...

Happy Easter to you and your family Rebecca.

Jeannette

Anne said...

Rebecca,
What a lovely post.Wishing you and your family a wonderful Easter.
Anne

Unknown said...

God bless you!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Lovely photos and memories, Rebecca! A Blessed & Happy Easter to you and your family!

Hugs,
Sandi

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Happy, Happy Easter to you sweet girl....and your family.

xoxoxo
Spencie

Barbara Jean said...

Easter Blessings to you and your family.

barbara jean

ShabbyESP said...

Happy Easter to you Rebecca!!
Love both pictures with your family!!!

Suzann ~xoxo~

White Lace and Promises said...

The Old Rugged Cross Made the Difference. Thanks for sharing your faith.

Bonnie

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,

Happy Easter Sunday-evening to you! Fond childhood memories for all of us.
Love,

Mariette

Shirley said...

Happy Easter Rebecca to you and your family. I think we all have fond memories of the Old Rugged Cross. Hope you have had a wonderful day. Hugs and prayers from Your Missouri Friend.

peggy aplSEEDS said...

thank you for sharing such a beautful post. the words of that song really speak to me. and how lovely to see the church pictures,before and now. a blessed Easter to you! peggy aplSEEDS

Debby said...

Hope you've had a peaceful Easter!! Hugs,Debby

EllenaElizabeth said...

Thankyou for sharing your photos and story. Hope you can look at my blog which atm has a nostalgic theme and photos. Thankyou.

Annesphamily said...

I love the Old Rugged Cross! What a beautiful post! I love Easter and enjoyed it with my phamily. I miss the Easter dinners with my folks but have some traditions with my own phamiy now. We always remind our children of the Easter story although they are older now. It will never change, the blood shed by Our Savior so we may live.
Blessings, Anne

Blog Archive