Monday, April 30, 2012

~ROMANTIC COTTAGE WHITE LAMP MAKEOVER~

Hope you are having a good day!  I had a super busy weekend and the fun continues.  The storms have cleared out a bit and sun is shining...LOVE IT!  Reminds me of my Cali homeland!

Today I'm linking up with Kathleen over at Faded Charm for
WHITE WEDNESDAY and Cozy Homes Scenes for YOUR COZY HOME PARTY.

About a month ago I was doing some browsing on eBay when I came upon an auction for a stack of hand crocheted lace motifs.  They were new old stock and probably were made at least thirty to forty years ago or more.  Originally intended for tablecloth edging I couldn't resist bidding on them .  I won the auction for only a few dollars (I think $10) and was delighted when my package arrived a few days later.
 I used the lace as a flounce on a lampshade I embellished with vintage laces and trims.  I have two of these lamps and each one is done a little different.
On Saturday I made my way to ((I LOVE)) TARJAY (Target) to scope out their lampshades.  The time had come to replace the shades on my tall buffet styles lamps and I wasn't looking to spend much money!  I found two drum style shades for about $12 each and brought them home to see if they would work.
The shades already had this great linen fabric on them but they really needed a bit more.  I started with one (in case I messed up!) and attached another style of crochet lace to the lower edge.  Over this I placed some natural braid in soft white before adding a cluster of three vintage millinery roses. 
Some loops of vintage tatted lace trim was tied into a little bundle and attached underneath the vintage blooms.  The drum shades were VERY EASY to do and this little bit of lace, braid and flowers completely transformed them.  The shades at the top were more involved but still fairly simple to do!
While out and about I just HAD to stop into another one of my favorite stores...TJ Maxx!!!  I'm a Maxi-niesta! :)  I found these great crochet lace edged napkins (set of 4) for $7.99.  Not too terribly bad...they had two packs in natural white so I brought them home with me!  They are all cotton and really great for the price.  LOVE THE LACE TRIM (machine made or not)! :)

For those of you who MAY be wondering about our kitchen remodel, well...the old kitchen is mostly ripped out but we still have tons to do.  It's going to be slow going with my guy in school and all.  By the way...he's over halfway done now...gets out in November!  Whoot!  Whoot!

Hope your day is fab!

Love to you...

29 comments:

Linda said...

Oh Rebecca...I just love those lampshades the way you have prettied them up with the lace and trim and vintage blooms! So lovely!

You put me in the mood to go shopping at TJ Max to check out their special finds and things I can't live without. In that same shopping center there is a Kirklands and we are also getting a Ross!

So I guess I will say Ta-ta...I'm out the door!

Love ya,
Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Anne said...

Rebecca,
Love that lace embellishment on your lamp.Looks great.Oh I bet you can't wait for your kitchen to be done.I am sure you will have a big party when it is all done.
Anne

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

Rebecca,
The lamps are so beautiful. And, your home is sooo beautiful. I love your floors.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Donna said...

Love the lampshades! You got a great deal on your ebay find and the way you used them on the shades is gorgeous.
Hugs,
Donna

Tara said...

It looks beautiful, as everything you put your touch to does! Love the pillowcases. I may need to make a trip to TJ Maxx! I look forward to seeing your kitchen.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love those lamps--how inspiring. They are gorgeous!

Michele said...

Hi Rebecca ~ You have done such a beautiful job with the lace. Also, just wanted to thank you for the comment on my blog. You made my day.

God Bless You ~
Sincerely,
Michele

Patty Patterson said...

Beautiful! Just beautiful!

NanaDiana said...

Those are beautiful, Rebecca. You certainly have good luck finding old 8(and new) lace. However, I know you spend a lot of time finding it so it s more than luck-it is the pursuit of something you love.

You are being so realistic about getting your kitchen done- I am proud of you! xo Diana

Susan said...

Rebecca, your lampshades are absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful job you did embellishing them. You are such a talented lady!

Julie Marie said...

Oh my gosh girlfriend!!! I am going to pack all of my lampshades up and send them to you to fufu up for me!!! Those are stunning, exquisite, enchanting, beautiful... can you tell I LOVE them???... let's add dreamy and romantic too... you are one talented lady... I LOVE these!... love you too!... xoxo Julie Marie

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,

You created some utterly romantic lamp shades! Wow, what a job.
As for the napkins from TJ Maxx (my favorite place too!) they are HAND crocheted (in China of course for the cheap labor) as this cannot be created by machine!
Using cheap labor and cheaper threads makes them affordable!
Love to you,

Mariette

EllenaElizabeth said...

V'nice! As usual. I am thinking of a couple of lamp shade makeovers, but think I'll wait until we move to see what speaks to me....LOL
Thanks for sharing.

Blondie's Journal said...

You not only have been having fun...but you have been lucky in finding all of these treasures! You can't seem to go wrong! I adore your lampshades...so romantic.

Have a wonderful week, sweet lady!

XO,
Jane

Holly said...

Oh my goodness, Rebecca, you have the touch!! Just so beautiful are all of your creations and so inspiring!!
Blessings and Happy Belated Pink Saturday!!

Rita said...

Looks like you made some really great finds! Your home is so lovely. Looking forward to seeing your new kitchen! I know you will be so glad when the schooling is over!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh Rebecca, these are sooo gorgeous, like everything you make! I have got to try this!

Carol

Debby said...

Hi,Becky!! Wonderful Lamps!! Hugs, Debby ^_^

Sarina said...

Lovely lampshades!!!!!.So romantic.

X,
Sarina

Theresa said...

Gorgeous! I love how those lamp shades are all dressed up! Enjoy your day dear Rebecca, HUGS!

Heaven's Walk said...

Rebecca - your house is so beautiful! You have truly created a place of warmth, coziness, and femininity. I adore your idea of adding that crocheted trim to your shades. Carolyn at Aiken Gardens did that to her patio umbrella using an old bedskirt. I'm now scouring my local GWs looking for wide crocheted trim to to my umbrella! :) Thanks for the inspiring idea, sweetie!

xoxo laurie

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

Lovely and romantic!
Greetings from Australia♥
~Pernilla

Miss Gracie's House said...

Gorgeous! It makes me want to go play with my lace:)
Happy May Day!
Rene'

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

You are an insparation to me today. I love your lamps and your white settings. I have that very same table.

hugs
cindy@stitches

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous, Rebecca! Pure dreamniness, as always.
(I am really going to have to come up with some more sincere adjectives to describe your romantic artwork, but I keep coming up with dreaminess:D

A Shabby Moment in Time said...

Beautiful inspiration Rebecca! So romantic and feminine.
Blessings & hugs,
Karen

Anonymous said...

I envy your talent Rebecca. You always make the prettiest things....and this is another item on that list. I normally buy lampshades to embeliish at Ross because I can usually find them for around $5. However, my lampshades are never this pretty.

Thank you for joining Your Cozy Home Party this week.

piccolaceleste said...

ciao complimenti il tuo blog è meraviglioso... bravissima..baci a presto lu,

Rebecca Nelson said...

Translation from Piccolaceleste:

hello congratulations on your blog is wonderful ... very good .. kisses soon lu,

Blog Archive