Friday, April 13, 2012

~PASS ME A BURNED BISCUIT, PLEASE~

Not long ago an old friend sent the following story to me and I loved it so much I saved it.  This morning while taking a much need break from Adobe PhotoShop5 CS Tutorials I came across the little story once again.  I don't know who wrote it or when.  Doesn't matter.  It's message is timeless.  Enjoy!


 When I was a little girl, my Mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then. And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work.. On that evening so long ago, my Mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed!

Yet all my dad did was reach for his biscuit, smile at my Mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember watching him smear butter and jelly on that ugly burned biscuit. He ate every bite of that thing...never made a face nor uttered a word about it!

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my Mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said:  "Honey,  I love burned biscuits every now and then."

Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your Momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides - a little burned biscuit never hurt anyone!"

As I've grown older, I've thought about that many times. Life is full of imperfect things and imperfect people. I'm not the best at anything, and I forget birthdays and anniversaries just like everyone else. But what I've learned over the years is that learning to accept each other's faults and choosing to celebrate each other's differences - is one of the most important keys to creating a healthy, growing, and lasting relationship.

And that's my prayer for you today... that you will learn to take the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life and lay them at the feet of God. Because in  the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship where a burnt biscuit isn't a deal-breaker!

We could extend this to any relationship. In fact, understanding is the base of any relationship, be it a husband-wife or parent-child or sisters or brothers or friendship!

So, please pass me a biscuit, and yes, the burned one will do
just fine.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting
some kind of battle.
Love to you...

23 comments:

Jenna said...

That was an awesome story :o) Something we can ALL learn from. Have a nice weekend! Hugs Jennifer

LindaSonia said...

Oh my... what an absolutely dear story. Thanks for sharing it. I think I needed to read that. :)

Anne said...

Rebecca,
Sweet story.I think it is an important lesson.Don't sweat the small stuff.
Blessings,
Anne

Inmaculada said...

Preciosa historia.
buen fin de semana¡¡

Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

This is such a beautiful story. I Love that man and his sweet nature. About the burned biscuits. We were just talking about burned cookies the other evening. My Hubby and sons used to always REQUEST a WELL DONE batch. Now and then if the occasion arose that something GOT CHARRED "They took it as a treat". We always LAUGH and wonder if we were alone,hehe...
Thank you for your beautiful story.
Have a wonderful weekend,
Hugs,
Donna

yorkie mom said...

Thank you. I needed to hear that story and be reminded.

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

Thanks, Rebecca. I really needed this today, especially that last quote at the end of your post :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Julie Marie said...

Beautiful Rebecca!... you know my Jack is the same way... I could give him a burned biscuit every night of the week and he would thank me and tell me how good it was... I need to be more like him... xoxo Julie Marie

Mona Kay Gorman said...

Thanks... That was a good one!!

NanaDiana said...

Rebecca, I am saving that story to my files and will put it out there some time in the future (if that is okay with you) and credit it back to your blog. My Aunt was the worst cook in the world. My Uncle didn't care one whit. He adored her and pronounced every thing she cooked or baked as "this is really good". Her biscuits were like hockey pucks and my Dad always turned his head to hide his grin when he bit into one of her biscuits because he knew that I was watching him for his reaction.

What a fond memory this story brought back. xo Diana

Anonymous said...

Amen Rebecca, Amen!

Sandra said...

Thanks for the sweet story and the lesson it teaches. We all need to learn to eat burned biscuits once in awhile. :o)

Have a great weekend!
Sandra

Marilyn said...

Burnt toast is good, too. Sweet story about LOVE.♥♫

Jen said...

Thank you so much for sharing this story Rebecca. I'm so happy I found your blog and I am a faithful follower!

Jeannette

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,

A very well-worth story for sharing! Life's lessons told by people with a heart.
Enjoy your weekend and sending you love,

Mariette

EllenaElizabeth said...

What a truly beautiful story, thanks for sharing it with us. And your backgound music..."Fields of Barley", bit of a tear jerker for me. I played it at my grandmother's funeral. Happy tears though.

The Green Pea said...

Thank you Rebecca, what a great post.
Pass me a burnt biscuit please. Love your mother and father posts. sandi

Judy said...

Thanks you Rebecca, I needed this today. Blessings to you, Judy

Marilyn said...

Had time to go back to your Easter dinner post and saw the homes with the picket fences. I want a fence and arbor, too. Mine wouldn't even need to go around the yard-just on the side where the road is so I'd have some privacy. The animals don't drive by very fast on the other sides of the house, so that could remain as is! Besides, I don't think a fence would bother my kitties or the other wild animals that come for visits.♥♫

pembrokeshire lass said...

Thank you so much for this stor... just what i needed to hear. i don't know why I was 'led' to you but I was. Many thanks. Joan

Brenda Pruitt said...

Wonderful story. Burned biscuits with a little jelly suit me just fine.
Brenda

Theresa said...

Sweet story and a burned biscuit is fine with me too:) HUGS!

Rita said...

What a kind man! Not many would do that today I am afraid, but how you could honor him for doing it. You are right, there are lessons to learn from this!

Blog Archive