Tuesday, March 26, 2013

~GET OUT OF YOUR FUNK and SPIFF UP YOUR JUNK~

Our latest transformations!
On my last Post I shared with you some of the great vintage lace and linen finds I snagged recently at a local estate sale (from your comments you were as excited about my haul as well!).  Today I'm going to give you a peek at a few more things we've found during our junkin' & slummin' hunts and also catch you up on some of the makeovers that are just about finished.  Above are the first three Pillow/Sachets made from the lace I showed you on Saturday!
 Isn't this a neat cubby?  This one I purchased on-line and I just love it!  I've had them before but they are very, very hard to find.  Even when you do track one down they are usually priced sky-high.  I believe they hail from the 1970's...maybe as far back as the 1950's.  Not sure.  I haven't given this one a repaint as of yet, but here's a photo of one I painted about a year ago.  It sits in our largest bath and holds soaps, washcloths, etc.
 
LOVE IT!  To make painting these beauties a bit easier I almost always remove the back (most often put on with small nails).  It's easier to get into the slots.  After it's painted and dry then it's lightly sanded for a neat distressed finish!
 My Mr. AGPMan couldn't believe I brought this old (and handmade) recipe/salt box home.  It was probably made in shop-class or something like that.  The lid is attached with handmade dowels.  Love that!  Anyway...here she is after a coat of my favorite soft-white paint and a bit of gentle sanding. 
A wooden wreath applique was added to the front and dark wax was added to bring out the detail!
 
Remember this box from last week?  I almost painted roses on it, but locally (and online) white rules right now.  So...skipped the hand painted florals and added a large wood applique.
Totally transformed with just a wee bit of paint, new brackets and wood accents!
 I don't have a before picture of this fabulous solid wood paper organizer so you'll have to use your imagination.  Found this at our local thrift store and fell in love with it because of it's size.  It's extra deep and large...  Perfect for holding transfer patterns in my studio!  If I decide to sell it I think it would be charming in a bath holding rolled up wash cloths, soaps, etc.
Love the chippy paint!
 Remember Bombay & Company?  They were in lots of Malls in the 80's and 90's and sold tons of cheap MDF Board glazed with a cherry-wood finish.  I had the stuff all over my home back in 1992 and couldn't live without it.  Well...a couple of weeks ago I found this wonderful writing lap-desk at one of our local thrifts.  Problem was it was $8.  WHAT?  I thought that was really HIGH and almost passed on it.  But then my hubster told me everything with a blue tag was 50% off.  So...home it came!
This one was a bit more difficult to makeover!  The finish was highly polished and since the piece is fake wood I didn't want to get to vigorous with my sanding.  I opted to use a de-glazer (liquid sand) and then rough the inside and outside with some hand sanding as well.  Primed, painted and then sanded the outside with my orbital sander (DeWalt).  This one IS going to have roses painted on the top...
 Love the frame on this old picture.  But...it's warped so it's going to need some work!  But...the detailing is GREAT and it will be fabulous once it's made into a chalkboard.  The print is heavily yellowed from nicotine and faded so for me it's just trash...can't be fixed! :(
Here's a close-up.  Once it's finished I promise to show more pics!
This clock had geese stenciled on the front so it probably hailed from the late 80's or early 90's.  The clock mechanism worked great so it was perfect for a repaint! 
 Now...I love this old cabinet above!  It's made of knotty pine and my guess is that it hails from the 60's.  Not sure.  Just know it hung on the wall in the estate sale house for at least 30 years.  It's going to be fabulous made over...  Can't wait to get started!

Also snagged this sweet and scrolly what-not shelf!  All the glue joints were popped so it's currently being clamped and glued!  Promise to show you both transformations as soon as they are done!

Today I'm working in my studio on new product for my website.  The pillows you see above will be uploaded this evening and a few more as well.  I'm so happy to be back doing what I love.

Hope your Tuesday is wonderful!  Now...resist the temptation to watch IN SESSION or CNN's coverage of that horrific murder trial and go CREATE something fabulous instead!  Then come back and share it with us all!  Let the inspiration live on!

Love to you...

17 comments:

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

Wow you have been BUSY! I am working away too in between spring break and family visiting...so it is slooow. I love everything!

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oh my gosh, you have been so busy, Rebecca! Everything looks beautiful. I have been seeing a few different kinds of wood recipe boxes and haven't bought one yet. Once I finish my current projects I might get a few. I love how you added appliques to the pieces, too. It took something plain and really added some interest to it.

Mari said...

Well you little busy bee, everything you touch turns out beautiful ;)

Big smiles~
Mari

Jocelyn said...

Your are such a beautiful artist Rebecca. I always love seeing how you restore something old into something beautiful.

NanaDiana said...

Wow, Ms.Rebecca- You have been one busy gal. I love all the pieces you are working on-including the old saltbox that the MR did not see any redeeming value in. Love it- xo Diana

Cindy The Victorian Journey said...

As always you make everything sparkle and shine. I love the detail of that slotted box and you made it even more gorgeous. Your so talented. Hugs, Cindy

sharon's shabby creations said...

Your work is so wonderfull!!! I enjoy your pictures every time!!!

Hugs to you

Sharon

Anne said...

Beautiful transformations Rebecca!LOVE them all! That frame has beautiful details too! Oh I don't watch much tv so I don't know what trial you are talking about.I guess it's a good thing :-)
xx
Anne

Maggie said...

whew!!! I'm exhausted just looking at all of the work you've been doing! Very impressive that you rolled up your sleeves, and cranked so much out!! I spend toooo much of my time thinking and designing in my head, and not enough time DOING. I'm inspired now by your busy hands!!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Great transformations Rebecca.
I love how you can take something plain and make it so beautiful.

hugs
Sissie

Linda said...

Love, love, love all of your recent re-dos! (:>)

I hope you will have a wonderful Easter my friend!

Love, Linda

The Polka Dot Closet said...

OMG fabulous finds and make overs! Tell hubby I always pick up those recipe boxes too!

Carol

Theresa said...

Beautiful transformations from Ugly Ducklings to gorgeous SWANS:) You certainly have a vision to see beyond what it is to what it can become! Have a blessed week dear Rebecca, HUGS!

A Southern Rose said...

What great finds and you made them so beautiful! The cubby shelf you put in your bathroom is my favorite and I love the cabinet with the glass doors. I can't wait to see what you do with it, I know it is going to be amazing!

Hugs,
Lee Laurie

busyascanbe said...

Everything looks beautiful! I love the pillows!

La Petite Gallery said...

Rebecca, I just found your blog, love it, love lace. Please come over and be a follower and I will do the same. Happy Easter yvonne

Elizabeth Johnson said...

I'm gonna be thinking of you and all your great ideas when I'm fixing up my new studio in June.
~Elizabeth

Blog Archive