Friday, March 8, 2013

~TRAIN CASE MAKEOVER & MORE FUN PROJECTS~

Springtime weather is teasing us in Oklahoma and I'm loving it.  When it's sunny outside I get sooo much done!
For the past few days I've been working on a special order Gathering Case (Train Case) and I've been waiting patiently for it to dry enough to photograph it for you.  The artwork still hasn't cured 100% so I'll just give you a sneak peak at the inside....  I love old Cases made over in soft white and this one came out flirty and feminine as the buyer ordered it layered with French Net Lace...  Hand painted pink roses accent the top and sides of this one making it one of my favorites to date!
The one you see above is one I made for my booth space at Serendipity Market.  This Case is soft white and lined with a natural cotton/linen blend
  I just finished the lettering/artwork on the outside and after it dries it will have a protective coating and then it's off to market!
Love this French Graphic!  Another great find from Karen at TGF!  She uncovers the greatest things!
 I love refurbishing vintage train cases and old luggage, but this is the first full-sized suitcase I've given a makeover to in a long, long, LONG time!  It's work I tell you, WORK!!!
 Here's a French themed feather pillow made with the same fabric! 
Love the graphic...it also came from Karen over at TGF!
Last week while shopping one of our thrift stores I found this amazing loose-weave linen skirt for $1.49 (half of the $2.98).
It had this great godet skirt (sometimes confused with a gored skirt) and I loved the natural color.  I had an idea of making a lamp shade cover out of it since all the work of romantic ruffles and the like was already done.
I measured how long I would need the shade cover to be and sliced that much off from the skirt plus 2" at the top for some gentle fraying...
I used a Rachel Ashwell shade I found at ROSS earlier in the year for my project.
After the fabric was cut away from the skirt I ran a machine gathering stitch around the top about 1.5" down from the edge and then frayed out a bit of the fabric.  It was then attached to the shade.
There was just enough fabric left on the skirt's top portion and the waist to make a fabric rose and fabric tie and so that's what I did.
I haven't found a lamp for it yet, but I will...that's the next thing I'll be hunting for while out tag-sale-junkin' this Saturday!  Can't wait!

 I've been so busy the past couple of weeks I haven't had much time to blog or even snoop around to see what you're all up to.  Can't wait for a little down time to visit and chat!

Love to you...

15 comments:

Theresa said...

Gorgeous creations! LOVE what you did with that skirt:) Have a blessed weekend dear Rebecca! HUGS!

Vintage Gal said...

I absolutely adore your lampshade. How lovely. Love it~ Can't wait to see the train case finished. You are one talented lady ~

Lululiz said...

Beautiful pieces, your train cases are the most exquisite things.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Gorgeous lampshade, Rebecca! I love the inside of that case, too. It is just so pretty. It looks like you put a lot of work into it. I tried doing a small case for my granddaughter not long ago ~ nothing as pretty as this, just something for her dolls. I thought doing the inside would be easy, but it took me forever!

Faye said...

Lovely! Every bit of it! I can't believe how you made that train case into something so beautiful. And that lamp shade! Just gorgeous! Oh how I wish I had time to make such pretty things. I found a perfect old green train case but it will never look like yours!

NanaDiana said...

LOVE the train case and suitcases you do, Rebecca. They are amazing works of art. Your lampshade turned out to be just gorgeous. Love it-and you won't find that in any retail store.
Will be glad to see you around visiting when you find time- xo Diana

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Your cases are just amazing...I love that lace in the lid...and the little shade is adorable!

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

Oh! You are talented! I love that train case the lace really makes it special. .. One day I hope to have one of your cases...and the lampshade turned out gorgeous!

xoxo,
Amy Jo

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Wow, love the case and the shade came out beautiful Rebecca!! Love coming to visit, and see all the beautiful things you create sweet friend. I did two posts since you last visted. Come by and see!

Love to you,
Debbie xo

Barbara Jean said...

Love it girl!!! great vision for that skirt.

blessings
barb

sharon's shabby creations said...

Dearest Rebecca,

Everything you make turns into a really peace off art!!! Well done!! I love your lamp!!

Hugs Sharon

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,
Wow, you are leaving us behind, the way you're leaping off with your new hands! What an amazing job you've done here.
Hugs to you dear friend and enjoy it.
Mariette

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

Absolutely beautiful!! I come in to Edmond from time to time and would love to know what thrift stores are your favorites if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Ginger said...

That lamp shade redo is to die for. And your train cases are always exquisite. You are sooooo talented. I'm loving this weather too.
XO
Ginger

Tamara said...

Rebecca,
Your work is so enchanting and stunning. I hope things are going well with your new special place. Your work is so very inspiring and your Thoughts for Sunday are a blessing. Thank you for sharing.

Blessings to you,
Tamara

Blog Archive