Saturday, March 23, 2013

~MY VINTAGE LACE HAUL~

 
 Golly-Gee...can't believe I've gone almost an entire week without posting anything here on Blogger!!!!  Wowzers...what is happening to me?!!!
 
 Could it BE that my wee little BLOGGIE has taken second third fourth fifth sixth place in my life???  Yes...I think it has!  
(Things change I suppose!)
I've been busy with my new booth at Serendipity Market (what FUN I say!) and working behind the scenes on new product for my A Gathering Place website.  Don't give up on me...I promise I'm not abandoning it.
Thank you so much to those of you who have written about my hands!  They are doing great by the way...I'm thinking I'm about 80% healed.  Almost 90 days since double hand surgery and I'm excited to share that some of the residual numbness in my middle finger/right hand is slowly (FINALLY) going away.
 
I'm MORE than grateful.  Thank you, God!

Now...I must share my HUGE find of the day.  Despite the crummy weather here in Oklahoma (we need rain so I'm trying to be NICE) my Mr. AGPMan and I were up at the wink-of-the-sun in order to get in line/to get a number/in order to be the first ones in the door at a local estate sale!  
 Pure dedication to the cause, I say! 

The curtains (a couple photos up) were actually four panels (84" long) and were priced at $8.00 for all...  They included about 10 yards of extra lace, too!
Anyway...I signed up online to follow a particular Estate Sale Company and so I had a few preview pictures of some of what was being offered.
  I spied a bunch of vintage lace and linens and I know from experience you MUST get to a sale early if you even have a prayer of snagging the best finds!
Well..snag I did!
Almost everything!

I left only crumbs heavily stained/new lace things for those who overslept.
 You snooze...
 You loooooze!  (Sorry!)
 Or in this case...you get the circa 1980 polyester green tablecloth made in China.
(At least it was new and still in the package!)
I'm sharing LOTS of pictures for you so you can swoon with me. 
Simply magnificent trims, runner, curtain, dollies, napkins, collars, etc. were found at this ONE SALE!
 
 It's hard to pick a favorite...but I must say this gorgeous French Net Lace Runner (a matching pair) was an over-the-top score.  I nearly fell over from being drunk with joy on this wonderful deal!
 I'm blissfully happy right now!  Forgive me for being snarkeee!  Sometimes I just can't help myself!
 Tucked in the mix was this 1940's bridal garter...love the ombre ribbon and rose!
 
 Lots of gently used linen napkins (great for sachets come Mother's Day) were priced $1.00 per dozen.  WHAT?
 
 The piece above is an absolutely mahhhh-vah-lous example of drawn-work.  This will surely be a pocket on a pillow!
Tons of dollies were priced $4 for the lot.  I snagged a few bags like this one!

Because I use vintage lace and trim in my work I'm always on the hunt to discover and track down more.  Even though handwork has made a huge comeback over the past few years the beautiful old stuff made long ago by loving, hard-working hands is dwindling away.  Once it's gone it's gone.  I can't even imagine the hours that went into fashioning each lovely old piece.  I know in my heart when these women pass on and their estates are liquidated it will be challenging to discover more.  Today I'm so grateful I'm able to truly benefit from all their talented work.

Hope your Saturday was as incredible as mine. 

Love to you...

37 comments:

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful find, Rebecca! You really scored big there. I can't believe you didn't want the green polyester tablecloth still in the bag! What is wrong with you!?!?!?!! xo Diana

Jan Hermann said...

Oh my Rebecca, you hit the jackpot! The lace and edging and everything is just gorgeous! I'm glad your hands are healing up nicely!

~Blessings,
Jan ♥

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I am so JEALOUS!!! I haven't had a haul like that for years!!! I usually end up with the 1980 polyester green tablecloth!!!

Carol

Mari said...

Lucky girly what gorgeous lace items you have found ;)
It's just soooo yummy ;)

Huggers~
Mari

Patty C. said...

Haul indeed! You definitely got your moneys worth!

BrushedByAnAngel said...

Great haul, Rebecca. I am so glad you showed the drawn lace work. I have several old hankies and the edges have the same kind of detail but I couldn't remember the name. Now I will go back to swooning!
Brenda

my cup of tea said...

WoW! What awesome finds! I just LOVE a great treasure hunt! Had a good one myself recently. The pieces you found are amazing! Way to go!
~Donna~

Susan said...

Rebecca you sure did score! These laces are all so beautiful. Its hard to find nice lace around here. It has not been warm enough for me to go to the yard sales. I always look for lace when I do go.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca what a great estate sale with all those lovely linens! I love it when they are priced like yours were!!! The linens look like they are all in nice condition too which is all the more fun!

So glad your hands are healing up nicely. So glad we live in an age where doctors can do much to help us live more productively with their talent of surgery.

Blogging has definitely taken a back seat here - still love visiting my friends but, though I have lots of things that are going on I could blog about just don't feel I am supposed to do so yet.We'll see what God has in the future ....

Got to see our son from CA for a short 2 hour visit- we had to drive the 3 hours up to Denver to get to see him but was so blessed to see him for even a short time! 3 hours trip back turned up much longer as we drove through the snow storm that started this weekend.

bee blessed
mary

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,
That was worth it for raising early!
The fore-last picture shows incredible Hardanger embroidery (Norwegian) and also nice looking tatting. Also one pillow case with perfect tatting...
Enjoy this and it is hard to imagine who priced all this? They must have no clue about all the hours of work and at times the precious linen or batiste that is being used.
Hope your hands heal completely and that your new booth gives you lots of joy!
Hugs,
Mariette

Michele's Treasures, Teacups, and Tumbling Rose Cottage said...

What a gorgeous haul! Good for you. Loved seeing the beautiful pieces. Thanks for showing us. ; )
~Michele

Unknown said...

All I can say is WOW! I don't think that I could pick a favorite!

joanne said...

wow, you really scored today. I just love the vintage laces and I always think of the women who so loving crafted them. Their hands, I always see their hands, busy, busy. Great stuff..;j

Unknown said...

Simply beautiful, Rebecca.
I don't ever remember seeing so much deliciousness in one sale.
Like you said, these kinds of things are getting harder to find. Glad you were there to claim it, you do such beautiful work..
hugs, glenda

peggy aplSEEDS said...

wow, what a treasure jackpot! with those prices, certainly something to be blissfully happy about and so so worth getting up early!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Oh wow--you hit the lace jackpot...lucky you! :)

Lounging with a Latte said...

What beautiful linens you have snagged....such beautiful, dainty work from a time past. Glad they've gone to someone who appreciates them

vintageandart said...

It does pay to be an early bird doesn't it...what amazing finds and l too love the French net lace as well..oh and the gorgeous garter.

Diane said...

And what you create from all that is going to be gorgeous! Lucky girl! :) Diane

Lululiz said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe firstly the amount of stuff you came home with and secondly the ridiculously low prices you paid! Congrats, girl, you really had a fab day.

Theresa said...

Beautiful finds FOR SURE:) Have a blessed day as you dream about what you are going to create with all of these goodies! Have a blessed Sunday, HUGS!

Carolyn said...

Oh my!! Absolutely beautiful!!!! I am swooning with you! Wow!!! I certainly don't think I could come up w a favorite! Have fun with such a great find!!! :)

Di@Cottage-Wishes said...

Wow you hit it! Looks beautiful. You are one lucky girl. Di

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Beautiful haul you got, Rebecca! It looks like quite a bit, too! : ) I can just see these pieces being made into something new or used on some of your lovely pillows.

Vintage Gal said...

Oh my gosh what a haul. I am sooooo jealous. I just love vintage linens and these are magnificent ~

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

You blessed little duck! It looks as if you have definitely hit the jack pot.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Wowzers! What beautiful laces and things! I am glad they found their way into your sweet hands. They will go on to live in the beautiful things you create, so someone else can love them too!

Hugs,
Debbie xxoo

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Been missing you! You did get a haul....Lovely, and I am sure even lovelier when you get finished with them!

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

I love lace Rebecca, and what caught my eye is the french net lace runner.... my gosh, what a beauty! I'm sure there is going to be more out there to find with women pulling away from lace, dollies etc. at least it seems like that for now.

I'm sure your creations are going to be beautiful.... they always are!

Hugs~

Elizabeth Johnson said...

Yea for you!!! I know you will make beautiful things with your finds. The women that used them originally would be proud to know you will love and appreciate their work.

Pondside said...

I loved that bit of heart-themed lace - so pretty! When I wandered the flea markets in Belgium in September I seldom left without a bag of lace. Now that I have it all at home I am having fun thinking of projects.....

Stephanie said...

I have followed your blog from the beginning and it is truly my favorite one! I must say, when you haven't posted in a few days I begin to get anxious for your next entry. You are so talented and a true inspiration, thank you so much for sharing all that you do!
Hugs from Washington state...Stephanie

Maggie said...

UNBELIEVABLE score!!! I am gasping with each picture, Rebecca. Were you cool as a cucumber at the sale as you were gathering up all these treasures (at crazy prices!!) in your arms??...I'd have been shrieking, salivating, and making a fool of myself, I think :-)! I can't wait to see what you create with all of it! The French net lace is gorgeous, as is the runner with the lattice-like crochet work. Oh my goodness, girl...you really, truly, scored!! And I am really, truly, jealous!!

White Lace and Promises said...

The net lace is my favorite too. Glad you are getting better.

Jeannie B. said...

The pictures made my heart skip a beat. I love the linens and the lace and especially the embroidery and hemstitching! Hope you don't cut up the old Pillowcases!! I'm happy to hear that you are feeling so much better.

Blessed Serendipity said...

Dear Rebecca,
So happy to hear your hands are doing well and your laces are so beautiful. Just the sort of thing I would of grabbed at that sale too and the prices were great. Good for you. Love the one with the hearts - so pretty. Love to you. Hope you have a happy and blessed Easter.

xo Danielle

Unknown said...

What stunningly beautiful lace you found! Thank you for sharing your beautiful creations & finds here on your blog. I enjoy it very much.

Blog Archive