Tuesday, April 9, 2013

~VINTAGE LACE LAMPSHADE TUTORIAL FOR YOU~

~PAINTED LAMP and VINTAGE LACE SHADE~

One of the things I love about creating things for both my home and business is being inspired by all the incredible talent out there in Blogland and beyond!  Years ago we had to purchase craft and decor magazines in order to get our weekly/monthly jolt of ideas~but these days just a couple clicks on one's mouse and you can find most anything your heart desires.
~ORIGINAL LAMP~

I've loved following Karen over at My Desert Cottage.  She is so talented and I love her spirit and I love her home.  A few years ago (2010) Karen gave us a Tutorial on how she recovered a lampshade with stuff a crafter might already have on hand.  Well...I missed her original post, but I found it thanks to Pinterest.
~ ORIGINAL SHADE~

I loved her transformed shade so much that I decided to use the basis of her idea and fashion a shade for a lamp I snagged last week at a tag sale.

~PAINTED BASE~

I started off by painting everything a soft white.  This included the shade's frame and the entire lamp.  After everything was dry I went over everything with Annie Sloan's Dark Wax.  Just love that stuff!  First apply clear wax and let it dry.  Then go over everything with the dark wax and wipe off the excess leaving some in the cracks and crevices!
~ATTACHING FIRST PIECE OF LACE~

After removing the original fabric on the shade and cleaning off all the old glue (Googone) I painted it and let it dry.  I then pulled out my big bag of scrap lace (tattered and fine) and began covering the shade by hand-stitching the lace into place.
~MORE LACE WAS ADDED~

Fabric glue is a mess and hot-glue won't hold due to the heart of the lamp's bulb.  So...I stitched away.  Now...I have to tell you that this all took a long, long time.  My back was aching by the time I was done!
~AND MORE LACE~
~AND MORE...~
~MORE...~

As each piece of lace was chosen I stitched it onto the piece already secured onto the shade.  I stitched right over the metal leaving the prettiest scalloped-edge-lace for the edges (if possible).  I just kept layering and stretching the lace and hand-stitching it into place as I went.
~LAST OF THE LACE~

After the entire shade was covered I added the pretty insertion lace (gorgeous vintage French? find!) around the top edge leaving the tattered and well loved portion sticking up over the shade's top edge.
~REMOVABLE ROSE PIN~

Lastly a removable rose pin was added to the front along with a gathered vintage lace doily and some ruched  up rayon ribbon...

All in all this was a fun project!  It really was.  I used up tons of my lace scraps (a good thing!) and the project was something new for a change after lots of pillow making of late!  I've done lace lampshades before, but seldom without removing the original fabric first.
 
~LIGHT OFF~

 Downside to the project was that the shade alone took me about 6 hours plus to cover.  So...it was fairly labor intensive...at least it was time-wise.  And like I already said my back is hurting from standing for too long!  I never sit when doing projects like this~way too much moving around to remain in a chair...I'd be up and down and up and down....

(Thank you Karen Valentine for the inspiration on making the shade! ) 

Today I'm linking up with the following:

Green Willow Pond for What We Accomplished Wednesdays
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
DIY Design for It's a Party
Timewashed for Blissful Whites Wednesday

Hope your Wednesday is awesome.  Crummy weather is suppose to come to Oklahoma and I'm praying our fairly new roof doesn't go sweeping down the plain...

Love to you... 
 

26 comments:

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,
Lots of stitches and hard on your back but so well worth it!
Hugs to you,
Mariette

Blessed Serendipity said...

Your shade is gorgeous Rebecca. I have made a few of these and and the neat thing about it is no two are alike. I am working on a project right now which involves doilies and lampshades. Love it and I really love your lamp! Beau-ti-FULL!!

xo Danielle

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Oh Rebecca....it turned out so beautiful. I really love it.

NanaDiana said...

Wow- That turned out great but you are right- that was a time eater! Love it though!!! xo Diana

fixitfaerie said...

Oh my, I just love your lamp, but especially your lamp shade. I'm really impressed. The flower pin is the crown on the shade. I have baskets full of crochet pieces from my grand-aunts. Thanks for sharing. Paula Lusk

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It turned out beautifully, Rebecca! A great idea for all that pretty lace I always see!

EllenaElizabeth said...

I have not visited your blog in ages. Hello...I've missed you.
Love the job you've doneon the lamp.

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

Thank you so much for doing this tutorial! I have been wondering how people do some of these gorgeous shades... I will definitely be trying this.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Well, you certainly wowed us with this! WOWOWOWOW! Wowza, lady. You did yourself proud!

XO,

Sheila

Unknown said...

Your lamp shade turned out so cute! Thanks for stopping by. I've been reading lately about monastic life. They surround themselves in the word and read certain Psalms everyday. I thought I would include a Psalm on my blog everyday for those who wanted to follow along in a corporate type reading. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Shirley said...

Good Morning Rebecca, Your lamp is beautiful and I love the lace lamp shade. It is awesome. Of course, your pillows are beautiful,too. I am taking some "me" time and visiting friends this morning. Hope you have a wonderful day. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.

Anonymous said...

Hello R! Thank you for stopping by my blog yesterday. I must say, I love this as I too keep every single scrap left over larger than an inch. QUESTION: How does the heat from the bulb affect the lace? Does it get hot, warm or do you feel there is enough ventilation to keep it from being a hazard? I have a real fear of fire so this is a big thing for me. I suppose I could always use an incandescent bulb eh? Lovely work and worth the try I must say. Hugs. Tammy

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

What a fabulous transformation, Rebecca...your hard work certainly shows! It's always amazing to me how ordinary pieces can become extraordinary! Beautiful! Thanks so much for stopping by my blue jar post!

Lady Pamela said...

I love this project. I always wanted to know how to do this. Thank you so very much for the tutorial.
*Smiles*

Kerrie said...

I love doilies and there are so many things you can use them for, love the lamp!

sharon's shabby creations said...

Dearest Rebecca,

Thanks for Sharing!!

Hugs sharon

Lynn Stevens said...

Gorgeous Rebecca, You've inspired me to join a swap at MAMA where we will be decorating lampshades!
Hugs Lynn

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Wow, it's stunning and well worth all your effort. Love what you did with the base also. Beautiful!!

Pendra said...

I think this is the prettiest shade ever...I just adore the lace and the flower pin finishes it beautifully! I've got to find my bag full of lace doilies and get to work! Thanks for sharing.

Theresa said...

Beautiful shade! I know it was a lot of work but GIRL, is it EVAH gorgeous! Have a blessed day dear Rebecca, HUGS!

Unknown said...

Ok, DYING over here!!!!!!!!!! Rebecca!! That is the prettiest lampshade I have ever seen!!! You rock! And I love the painted lamp base. Could it be more perfect? And you are so right about bloggers. Arent we lucky to have so much talent just a click away? Makes my days so much better :)
Love ya,
Amy

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Sensational! Nothing in my mind more unique and special than old crochet work and special lace.
This is a beautiful piece Rebecca, thanks so much for the time and sharing your lovely work.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Gorgeous!!!! I have a shade right now that is waiting for some lace, but I am way lazier than you...I'll be gluing!!

Carol

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Your lamp turned out so pretty. I love the lace. That truly was a labor of love. Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a lovely week!

Hugs,
Deborah

BECKY said...

Hi Rebecca! Finding you again!! I must have lost you when I lost my friend gadget. I tried to remember everyone, but it was so hard.

So glad you joined in Blissful Whites Wednesday!

This lampshade is simply gorgeous!!
I may have to try making one for my shop!!

Have a lovely week, sweetie!
Great to reconnect!
Hugs,
Becky

Mary said...

Dear Rebecca ~ the lamp and shade are breathtaking. One of the laces you used looked like a woven lace ~ it was a square or rectangle scarf maybe ~ do you know anything about what kind of lace it is ~ its origins any kind of history ~ I have 8 floor to ceiling curtain panels and several buffet scarves made of that style of lace. The curtains hung in my grandmother's dining room as far back as I can remember. They are extremely heavy and in perfect condition. I not planning on selling them ~ I just want to know a little history of that style of lace. They look like they are hand woven and tied. So much work on them. Probably some type of loom. Any help anyone can give me is greatly appreciated. marysrosecottage@yahoo.com
As always I love your blog and All the pretties you share with us.
Mary

Blog Archive