Friday, July 20, 2012

~WHAT I LEARNED IN MY PAINT CLASS...TIPS FOR YOU~

~THE CRAZEEE PEEPS FROM OUR CLASS~
(Our Instructor, Angela, On The Left)
MIA BELLA DESIGNS in Oklahoma
A couple of weeks ago I shared with you how I had signed up to take a painting class.  Now...this was not an ART CLASS, but just a simple basic technique class for furniture painting.  There are lots of tutorials out there and most are very informative.  But I wanted a hands-on class where I could actually see and feel what was going on!
 My project of choice was a small occasional table I hauled home from my trip visiting my sister in Tennessee.  It's a Mid-Century piece from the 50's that I just fell in love with.  If you guessed my chosen makeover color was going to be WHITE then you would be right!

White is Right!  That's my new motto!
~AFTER TWO LIGHT BASE COATS~

Now I already know A LOT about painting furniture.  I've been doing it for years and years (over twenty) so I really was skeptical at first about taking a chance on a class.
~USING AN ORBITAL SANDER~

 I have to say that all in all it was a great class and I'm glad I decided to join in.  The best part was the meeting of new friends...  We all laughed and had so much fun!  At least I did! 
 
 ~LOVING THE DRAWER~

Two critical things I learned in the class centered around the products chosen to PREP my furniture!!!  After my table was de-greased with the product you see below (I'm not mentioning the names on any products as no one is PAYING me to endorse them), which is something I had never done.  In the past I'd just wipe my furniture down with a mild soapy water and quickly dry it. Next came lots of hand-sanding to remove any old finish (if need be)!
~DEGREASER IS A MUST~

After de-greasing a LIQUID SANDING PRODUCT was used to de-glaze (make unshiny) the old varnish.  This kind of MELTED the old stuff (didn't actually remove it) providing the table with a better ground in which to accept paint!
~UN-NAMED LIQUID SANDING MIXTURE~

Angela, our Instructor, re-bottled the liquid sand because she buys it in bulk.  I can't remember the name of it.  She did say it was found next to the de-greaser at your favorite hardware store!  I'll try and hunt it down and post a picture of it later.  I have yet to purchase it!
~BRUSH PAINTED WITH A SHORT HAIRED BRUSH~

Here is what my table looked like after de-greasing, applying liquid sand, brush painting with a satin-based paint (3 light coats) and then sanded with an orbital sander like the one you see below...
~GREAT SANDER~

My Mr. AGPMan actually has this exact Sander.  WHY I've never used it I don't know!!!  Now...I do LOVE the way the Sander smoothed out the finish of my paint.  Made it very soft and I love how the original wood finish can be seen on the sides and top and not just the edges.  I still went back and hand sanded around the legs and table and drawer rims.  I like have more control over what I'm doing so hopefully with some practice with the Electric Sander I'll get better.  
 
 
~OTHER CLASS PROJECTS~

After my table was sanded I applied a good coat of WAX to the entire piece.  Again...not mentioning the name because I don't want to be sued...just think of the new paint everyone is talking about and check into what they offer in forms of WAX.  I brushed it on with another short haired brush and once it was dry it was lovely!  I chose simple wooden knobs to replace the ceramic ones.  They were just too 1980's looking for MOI!
 
~LOVING THIS TABLE~
~BEFORE SHOT OF AN VINTAGE NIGHTSTAND~
 ~EVERYONE LOVED THIS COLOR~
 ~APPLY A GLAZE~

I did not like how the glaze looked over the white paint on my table (it was used on the nightstand).  I tried it in a small area of my table, hated it, and so I painted it out.
 ~TOO COOL~
~FINISHED PIECE~
~HAVING FUN~
~LOTS OF PRODUCTS TO CHOOSE FROM~

I wish I had more pictures to show you but every time I saw something that I wanted to photograph I had to take my gloves off or risk getting paint and junk all over my camera!  At least I hope you'll get an idea of what we did and all we learned.  SO WORTH TAKING THE CLASS.  If you are local I highly recommend you taking part!  There is NOTHING like seeing it and doing the work in person!  Angela was a great teacher and I learned so much!

Remember these things...

1.  DEGREASE
2.  LIQUID SAND
3.  ORBITAL SANDER
4.  PASTE WAX
 ~TAH-DAH~

And there you have it.  Have fun and do SHARE with me if you end up creating anything fabulous!  All of your bloggie friends will want to see it!

Love to you...

15 comments:

KatyDidStitches said...

Very timely post, Rebecca! I've decided to FINALLY do up my girl cave...and I want to paint the old kitchen cabinets and old dresser that I use down there. I'm book-marking this post!

Kathy

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Very interesting and informative post Rebecca. We've been stripping hand-me-down family furniture that was painted and giving it a more natural look. My DH doesn't like coloured wood pieces and has put the kibosh on me painting all my garden pretties.
Well, I still have my cans of Krylon and he's not home all the time, even if he is retired. :-)
Judith

Jan Hermann said...

I really like the style of that little table of yours...and especially how it turned out!! Great job!

Jan ♥

Marilyn said...

Would you believe I have three weeks before school starts again, and am getting the painting bug. All I can say is-better than two years ago when I got the bug the week before. Now I've lots of time--I HOPE! Looks like a great class. Too far for me, though. Thanks for sharing some tips!♥♫

Faye said...

Looks like you had a good time! I do 3 of the things on that list, I was surprised because I really have no clue what I'm doing! I've never used a liquid sander so that is interesting. I like that orbital sander too that you used, something I must look into, mine is old and so loud. Thanks for the awesome tips!!

NanaDiana said...

Your table turned out great, Rebecca. You are right- there is nothing like real "hands on" experience...so much better than just watching a tutorial- xo diana

She Found Her Crown said...

Hi Rebecca

Thanks for painting tutorial. I am now less afraid to paint my kitchen cabinets LOL I will be checking out an orbital sander for sure.
Patty

Theresa said...

Beautiful table! Love the painting lessons you shared with us! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Jeannie B. said...

I am always amazed at your "just do it" attitude. The fact that I am reading about redoing things must mean I am interested but...just can't seem to get past the fact that I don't know WHAT I am doing! Love seeing what you do!!

Ginger said...

What a difference white paint makes. I will have to remember all your great tips. Glad you got to take the class.
G

Ginger said...

What a difference white paint makes. I will have to remember all your great tips. Glad you got to take the class.
G

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That class looks like so much fun. I would love taking that..even if I didn't learn anything. Your project is perfect! That a cute table. White is right is my motto too!

White Lace and Promises said...

Great post! Beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial! So many people like to hold on to their secrets. Thanks to your friends for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Ohh that looks like it was fun Rebecca and A fabulous result too.
I have never painted furniture but my hubby occasionally does, I shall pass on your tips to him :)
Hugs June x

Deanna said...

Beautiful results with the table!
Thanx for sharing......looks like you all had a very productive and fun time.

Rebecca, Just said a prayer for you about health.
God bless,
d

Blog Archive