Thursday, February 12, 2009

AN OPEN LETTER TO My Beloved...MY VALENTINE

MY BELOVED AND I
(Yes! That is us in 1977)

In a world where the nightly news is full of grim predictions on both marriage and parenting, I'm thankful that in at least one category I've been very fortunate to not fall through the statistical cracks... Now, this can in no way, shape or form be attributed to anything I have done...on the contrary! I just happened to find an amazing man...

It is with great pride I share publicly an edited version of the Valentine letter I mailed today to the man of my dreams...

"Dearest Steven..

I suppose in many ways, this little note to you is way overdue. I should have made time to pen these thoughts to you many, many moons ago. Regrettably, I’ve allowed years and years of busy days and hectic nights to pass by without reassuring you of my constant love, ever growing respect and admiration. It is you I love…only you…forever you! Always and forever you will be my Valentine.

I believe you are a true “Giver”. I’ve never known anyone who can match your generosity in time spent or in money given or love shared. It is important to me for you to understand that even if no one else ever notices how big your heart is, I do.

I suspect we both will be long gone before either of our children will fully understand the depths of your love for them. I’ve never known a person to work so incredibly hard and yet require so little in return from those who claim to love them. You have set the mark of selflessness beyond the reach of all of us. I feel ashamed that my restless heart will never equal yours. In over thirty years of marriage I have often failed at being all of what you deserved and I can only pray that if blessed with another thirty I’ll be afforded the chance to repay you for all the kindnesses you have bestowed upon me.

I want you to know that I believe you to be the best father and husband in the world. Your work ethic and your commitment to the success of your children remains unequaled. Your faith in me has been nothing less than inspiring. Your love and devotion to the three of us, even when it meant giving up on your own dreams, convinces me that you alone are worthy of everything good…everything lovely.

I pray God’s grace and an added portion of strength be showered upon you today. I pray for you clear thoughts and tireless shoulders as you work with purpose and joy. Mostly, I’ll be praying that you will be blessed with the knowledge that you are deeply loved by this pink rose lovin, can't find her cell phone, 'um, honey...I ran out of gas again', 'Can you fix another chair for me?', high-maintenance gal...


Looking forward to more “us days” and sharing my heart with you…"

Blessings to you as you celebrate with those you love this Valentine's Day...

Rebecca

5 comments:

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Hi Rebecca! So glad you & your family are safe. We had the same storms rip through here but without warning & luckily no damage.

What an endearing letter to your DH ~ sounds like he is a pretty lucky guy, too, to have sweet thoughtful you! Cute pic of the two of you ~ he looks like a Bee Gee brother!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Rebecca Nelson said...

Can you EVEN imagine me bringing home this bearded "dude" to my preacher-man-faw...ther? It was scary! I look back on those days with all that facial hair and I all I can say is "What was I thinking?" ACK! Thanks for the sweet note...Rebecca

The Pink Poodle said...

dear rebecca...found your blog via sarah's in australia..

love the valentine sentiments..

and thanks for your comments on sarahs blog re the fires here in victoria...

take care..xx andrea

Anonymous said...

Sweet ~r~,
Sweet as ever and YES !! You are truly blesssed, with a wonderful loving God-fearing man.. The Best kind..Happy Valentines day to you both..xxoo ~t~

Anonymous said...

Oh Rebecca, what special letter for you to share with us. I was planning on the same with my hubby but I fear it would repetitive at this point and not nearly as well spoken as you have done. Suffice, I too am blessed with an incredible man. What a lucky man for his wife to know and acknowledge the good in her Husband. Blessings to you both!

Blog Archive