Wednesday, February 18, 2009

WINTER PATIENCE

A Gift from Michele...

Like many of you my heart’s been searching for any sign of fresh life…SPRING! I’ve been trying desperately (honest, I have!) to enjoy the season of winter, but being a California native…well, it’s been hard. I miss the warm, consistent climate of the West Coast and will always long for the gorgeous sunshine! Even so, it isn’t lost on me that without the dying back of the old, new growth can never take place…

Living in Oklahoma certainly has it’s perks though (like LOWER Real Estate Prices)! Still the reddish-brown earth remains stone-cold-hard and at present, it’s refusing to give birth to even a hint of color… Occasionally one might see a patch or two of blooming something-or-other, but truthfully, even the professionally landscaped gardens are looking a bit peaked.

I’m driven indoors on days like today. When it’s impossible to dig in the dirt, I work inside. Today I focused on rearranging my vintage china cabinet; adjusting old linens and handmade lace, dusting pretty cups and saucers and lovely old Creamware…

Pursuing beauty, whether in the garden or within the home, invites us to escape from our hectic and fast-paced world to a place where even the simplest of pleasures leave us rejoicing!

“Only with the winter-patience can we bring the deep-desired, long-awaited spring.”

--Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Blessings for rest and peace on a winter’s day…Rebecca

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have longed for Spring to come to me early this year. I'm not sure if it was the cold (I highly doubt being a native new englander), the way of the world today or just the need to see fresh new life all around me. No matter the reason, I long for Spring this year.

Today in the meantime, I dig in my scrap bin and hope for hand made beauty.

Tanza said...

Sweet ~r~.. Sounds like your having a wonderful day !! How fun playing in the pretty china cabinet..I LOVE to look at old lace, and pretty dishes, and just wander, and pretend to know who just happened to serve tea or dinner on these "old pretty pieces".. Can you imagine the conversations that took place, and the love and laughter maybe.. Oohh, the simpler days indeed.. At least your getting soo much done, you will be soo refreshed, and ready for Spring.. God is good, and he is faithful.. Keep your ears open for the new baby birdies.. Soon to come I'm sure..I love my sweet friend.. Big hugs ~t~xo

A Southern Rose said...

I am so excited! This is the first time that I have ever one anything from a blogger friend! It is so beautiful! Did you make this sweet sachet pillow? If you could see me you would see that I have a huge smile on my face! Thank you so much! Also, thanks for stopping by yesterday and leaving me the sweet comments. I'm off now to spend the whole entire day with my little sister!

Thanks again,
Hugs,
Lee Laurie

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

Today I send you beautiful thoughts of warm Summer days of sitting on the porch with a glass of lemonade and the warm breeze blowing on your face..

xoxo Nita

wishing for Summer too..

Anonymous said...

Joy to you Rebecca,
I love your music. I too used to play piano for church and hubby was worship leader with beautiful voice. We have sang this very song. They had such a strong message for us. My hubby has been gone for 2 1/2 years now and I can still hear his beautiful voice singing with Father God. Music has always been big in my life also. I love the artist "Enja" too. Spring is showing signs in the Great Pacific NW so we are sending it your way soon.
I Know You By Heart,
Jeannie

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

A lovely gift from Michelle, to a very sweet blogger. Looking forward to spring as well. Actually today is not so nice, but warmth is on it's way. I'm ready to embrace it to the fullest.

Blog Archive