Wednesday, July 21, 2010

~VINTAGE CHRISTMAS GRAPHICS MADE SWEET and NEW~

~ORIGINAL CANDY CANE GRAPHIC~

Over the past few months I've extolled the benefits of learning several different photo-shopping programs that teach peeps like me who are L'ordinateur A Défié (that means Computer Challenged in French) how to do neat stuff with aging graphics and copyright free images using their home computers.  Learning the best way to manipulate a variety of designs has captured my fancy and I find I'm continually amazed at what someone like me can actually do! L'ordinateur A Défié!  L'ordinateur A Défié!  It just sounds so much better in French!

~RECOLORIZED IN CREAM~
Cleaned-Up & Refashioned

That said...I don't want to send you down a rabbit hole because learning any such program can really be difficult.  At least it has been for me.  I've shared with you before that I scream out call out nicely for my Mr. AGPMan when I'm really stumped and if he's not around I dial-up my computer-techno-genius son, Brandon.  Both my guys help me out a lot...but what I've found is that there is NOTHING better than good-old-fashioned PRACTICING!  This of course takes many hours and renders my now contact dependent eyes tired and red.  Too much computer time can even put me in a foul little mood when I struggle for hours to get something just right only to have it disappear from my screen (I'm learning to hit that SAVE button more and more and more!).
~RECOLORIZED IN PINK~
Cleaned-Up & Refashioned

At the very top you will see a vintage sixty-five year old greeting card from 1945 (I actually have the entire dated box with coordinating cards as well).  The original design had yellowed and it's narrow layout was impossible for me to use "as-is".  I've loved this Candy Cane image for so long and after redesigning it I'm hoping it will be perfect for use in lots of sweet Christmas projects and website offerings this year!  I removed the sentiment at the top and also the glitterized snowflakes because they had a deep patina to them and have a tendency to print out very dark!  All the manipulation was done using the computer program PAINT SHOP PRO!!!  Maybe for PINK SATURDAY I will show you a Pillow using the Candy Cane refashioned on the PINK!

For those of you who love this kind of design work I hope you'll take some time out of your busy life to learn some of it.  It can be fun and the rewards are huge!  I'm not savvy enough to ever do a tutorial...I'll save that to the brainiacs of the world!

I hope you are inspired.  I'm going to say it again...if I can do this you can, too!

Blessings for an awesome Wednesday...

Love to you~
 

24 comments:

Pat @ My Tattered Elegance said...

I love it, you are so smart for learning the new things to help you in your business. I'm still trying to learn to blog. Oh well, maybe one day I'll learn more.
Oh yes, I saw Lori's new lamp shade that she made thanks to you. So I would like to thank you for sharing your knowledge and I will be covering lamp shades too, very soon.
Hugs, Pat

Anonymous said...

I love it too.But dont say if you can do it I can,lol.Ive never done anything before except maybe sketch and crochet an afghan this is all new to me.Thanks so much for your comment on my blog about making the lamp shade,I think its all clear in my head now,lol.Now for the time.

Happy Wednesday!

Unknown said...

I'm cheering you on, dear! I remember when I first started learning Paint Shop Pro. I tore my hair out trying to figure out all the tools, but I'm proud to say that I've now mastered it. Photoshop is another animal and much more difficult to learn. I have it, but don't use it for much. I really should dig in and master that one, too.

Lovely image!

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Wow Rebecca that is so amazing and I am going to give Paintshop a shot SOON!
My son is also a computer genius and he is forever telling me to get on Photoshop and Paintshop and have a go at it as it is not hard according to him (yeah right)! But maybe later this week I will have an honest "go" and stop shaking in my boots...:)
Tina xo

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

I have photoshop and have spent hours trying to figure the darn thing out... It's just way too frustrating. I wish someone around here gave hands-on classes. I do so much better when somebody is actually showing me how to do somethin'.. Maybe I should just go ahead and buy this program. Isn't it just amazing the changes that you can make?? It's just wild. Love this card... It's sooo sweet.

Huggies!

Spencer

PS... Did you EVER get to bed or are you still up from yesterday? :-)

Cherished Treasures said...

Dear Sweet Rebecca,
Can't wait to see some of your new graphic designs !!! ;-)
I am still working on trying to figure out cropping a design without the background showing.
Now you have motivated me to figure out how to change the background color. WOW !!!
To to much to absorb all at once. LOL
Hugs to you, Carol

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Rebecca,
You are a brave girl! I get so frustrated with these programs and usually end up, giving up.

Maybe I'll try again. Your image is really cool.

hugs
Sissie

Nancy's Notes said...

Rebecca, you are one clever and smart lady! I have tried paint shop and need to get back to working with it! Way to go! I have to admit, I love working with photographs and that sort of thing, not too good, but it's fun, isn't it?

Nancy

The French Bear said...

You are brave, I have somehow wrecked lots of photos just trying to follow instructions on photoshop and my images don't turn out like everyone else's, lol!
Good for you, the candy cane image is wonderful...especially with your touches of pink!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Dolores said...

Oh Rebecca.... you have such a wonderful gift of creating beautiful 'things'.... whether it be material or written beauty and art....
I love the lamp shades!!!
Hugs,

Tanza said...

Loving these vintage re-dos .. Can't wait to see what you create for meee !! Don't you just LoVe all the old vintage pictures .. Really takes me back to a more peaceful,innocent time .. I LoVe anything you share .. Always soo pretty, after your touch xo
Have a happy evening with Mr. Wonderful ~
Huggers ~tea~

Julie Marie said...

Hello Rebecca... those are all so pretty! I doubt I could learn that though, I have NO patience! And I don't "call out nicely" for Jack when I need help, I YELL at the top of my lungs, tee hee hee! And he is so patient,I don't deserve him! xoxo Julie Marie PS Our big computer is still down so I am on the laptop, sorry if there are typos!

Debbie said...

Hi Rebecca....I don't know if I could ever do something like this. I'm not very literate on the computer. I'm surprised I can blog!!
You, however, are gifted.
I love your previous post about pink too.
Debbie@houseatthelake

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Oh Rebecca! Were that only true! If you can do it, so can I? Probably physically, yes, but mentally I am just having difficulty getting into that sort of thing. Lazy? Probably. I would rather watch you...and snap up your goodies.. :) That's ok..right? Right? *giggle*
Hugs,
Mona

Sandra said...

Rebecca!!! Hello Hello Hello! How are you?! This is so pretty! And guess what? I was just playing around with my Paint Shop Pro! Actually, I play around with a photo of one of my boys and I using the time machine. ha ha I'm not a pro at this but it sure was fun! I'm gonna have to play around some more. I've had it for a while but had never really explored with it.
Anyway, thanks so much for you comment! Tell your daughter that I love red and gold so much that even my Christmas tree is done this way. ha ha Remember this post?
http://mybellarose.blogspot.com/2009/12/our-tree-is-ready-to-receive-gifts.html
Girl, I need to catch up with all of the blogs I follow, especially yours!
God Bless.
Sandra

Lisa said...

How cool! I love vintage look any time! Enjoy your computer toy!
Hugs, Lisa

Anne Lorys said...

Hi sweet Rebecca!
I love what you've done here, isn't photo-editing/PS just the most fun? :-)

Thank you so much for your kind words on my last post, it means so much to me!

Have a wonderful Thursday!
Hugs,
Anne

Theresa said...

Oh Rebecca, I have been wanting to try this but I KNOW that it takes time to learn! Love the different ways you designed the images.

I bought an embroidery machine and have yet to learn to use it. I have gotta get going with that and then I'll learn Photoshopping:) You may have to help me!

Have a blessed day my friend! HUGS!

Anonymous said...

what a sweet graphic. There are times that I love this type of experimenting with images- it's very relaxing. But then there's those OTHER times when it makes me want to pull out my hair! Go figure! Have a great day! ♥

The Quintessential Magpie said...

You always inspire me!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Barb said...

Rebecca, I have been considerng learning this....checking out prices as I type this.

I love, love candy canes.

Now, all you have to do is buy a junk rooster and spray paint it, girl. Easy Peasy.....♥

cock a doodle do............!
Hugs, Barb

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Rebecca,
I'm impressed! I know it takes a lot of patience to learn new programs (it does for me). I have Photoshop and can do just a few things and tend to do what you've done too... call my husband! I think it's just taking the time. It does feel really good to learn new things and I'm more than with you on the contacts thing.

Hope it's cooled off there a bit. It's actually a bit cool here tonight but I hear the heat's on its way back here this weekend. I apologize it took me so long to get back over here, the summer's really getting away from me, even with these long days.

Have a fantastic weekend!
xo~Tracie

June said...

I'm thinkin' lots, and lots of practice for me sweet Rebecca! It makes my head hurt just thinking about learning PS. I wish I had a darling techie son like you!
Thank you sooo much for the sweet message about my win, it means so much coming from you!
hugs, hugs, and more hugs

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hi Rebecca,

I love what you've done to this greeting card. I, too, am learning continuously about cleaning up, altering and otherwise making prettier a huge collection of my patterns, postcards, etc. I really love the graphic programs but I feel like I stay 100 steps behind what some of the ladies know how to do.

Practice makes perfect!

Hugs,
Stephanie ♥

Blog Archive