Monday, October 22, 2012

~FALL GIFT GIVING...LOVE FROM THE KITCHEN~

~FESTIVE HOMEMADE CROUTONS~

Welcoming Fall brings with it an air of excitement to my La Chaumière de Briarwood.  With this being our twentieth Thanksgiving living in our Oklahoma home it's hard to believe how fast the years have passed by.
~TOASTED BUTTERY CHUNKS~

Our neighborhood has changed a lot since 1992.  Back then many of the residents were the original owners of our block's 1970's era homes and sadly some of them have now passed on.  I remember how my children and I would bake treats for them during the holidays and how fun it was to deliver them door to door.  Now that my babes are grown and on their own my Mr. AGPMan continue with our little gift-giving tradition without them (sniff).  Many things have changed over the years, but never the smiling faces of those being remembered.
 
~CUSTOM TAGS ADD CHARM~

Today I'm showing you a simple little treat gifted to friends and neighbors in honor of Thanksgiving!  Simple to prepare and pleasing to the eye, too!  Perfect for friends and family who can't have sugary sweets is a plus!
 ~VINTAGE GLASS JARS~

You start with a loaf of plain white bread (like Sunbeam) and working with six slices at a time you first remove the crust.  Begin by cutting the bread into 1/2" pieces or tear them into small chunks.  Melt 3 Tablespoons of butter into a skillet and add bread pieces.  Coat all sides of the bread with butter and stir on medium heat until golden brown and toasty.  Remove from stove top and salt and flavor as desired.  I use Himalayan Pink Salt and TONE'S Garlic/Herb Seasoning (about 1/4 TSP each).  Drain on paper towel.  Once the croutons are cool place them in small vintage jars (I find mine at thrift stores all year long) and wrap them up with cello and tie with natural ribbon and hand crafted tags!  Simple and easy.

Here's a tip:  Don't season the bread while cooking as seasonings have a tendency to burn before the bread is fully toasted.   Also work in small batches to ensure even coating of the bread with butter!  ENJOY!

~~*~~

Looking forward to an awesome week creating!  Go make something wonderful and then tell me about it!  I'd LOVE to share your family traditions in the future!

Love to you...
 

11 comments:

ShabbyESP said...

Yum!!! What a great idea!!!
Thanks for stopping by and leaving your sweet comment...you are such a blessing with your visit.
Enjoy your day my friend!!!
Suzann ~xoxo~

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

These look so pretty! Now I know what to do when I am out of croutons and want some on my salad... I'll make my own.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Hena Tayeb said...

Mmm yum.

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Rebecca,
I love this idea very much! We have such sweet neighbors I think a Thanksgiving gift would be a wonderful idea for them.
Rebecca I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart that you are still thinking of us and our family since my sister's passing. There is not a day that goes by we don't think of her, its been 4 months now. You are just so sweet and kind with a heart of gold, Thank you.
Sending love and hugs, Elizabeth

Pam said...

Hi Rebecca. It is so sad to have to do things without our children with us, but alas, you are carrying on the traditions and I'm sure your children, having learned from you will someday have these same traditions. Love the crouton recipe and ideas for gift giving. The cards are just stunning! xo's Pam

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

These look delicious and so pretty in the jar, Rebecca. This might even make gluten free bread taste good!

Anne said...

Yum Rebecca!And what a lovely treat too!
xx
Anne

myletterstoemily said...

your homemade croutons look delicious!
thank you for the recipe.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,
Those jars with croutons look very attractive and will be well received for sure.
Hugs to you,
Mariette

Lululiz said...

What a thoughtful and beautifully presented gift. I love croutons, and homemade ones are the best. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Barb said...

Rebecca,

These look so delicious. I love Thanksgiving...my favorite holiday and love sharing baked treats with the neighbors.

How gracious you are!

xoxoBarb

Blog Archive