Tuesday, October 16, 2012

~WHITE BASKET MAKEOVER...A LONG LOST FIND~


  Some sweet things to share with you today!

Christmas is still a ways off, but this tree basket is very special to me...here's why~
   In the late 1980's my Mr. AGPMan handmade at least fifty wood Christmas Tree Baskets for the wee little booth space we had at a local Folk Fair Festival.  We ended up selling every single one of them (save for a few for family and friends) and I distinctly remember them being priced at $9.99 each.  That was a pretty penny all those years ago...
 A couple months ago while helping my mother downsize for a move I spotted her basket in a box of things to keep.  I couldn't believe she still had it after almost twenty-five years.  It was still painted a dark pine green and the raised red heart appliques were still attached to each side.

 I brought the basket home (a happily returned gift) and over the weekend I gave it a facelift.  Nothing super special...just removed the hearts, roughed it up a bit and then slathered on a couple quick coats of soft white paint.  I love how it came out...simple, clean and uncomplicated.  I'm keeping this one forever even though my guy informed me he still has the pattern for the design...
 
 A couple of weeks ago I found a vintage hanky holder at Goodwill!  It was a ridiculously low price ($1.98) so I brought it home!  Only problem I found with it was with the rose base.  The piece was made in Japan and the base seemed really small given the height of the stand.  Sure enough once a handkerchief was attached the entire thing wanted to lean forward.
 
Then I remembered earlier in the month I'd found another neat metal stand with a super cool base.  It was also only $1.98.  Only problem with it was there was nothing attached to the metal rod.  Just a rod with a stand...I'm not even sure what it was supposed to be...
 I asked my Mr. AGPMan if it was possible to marry the two pieces together to make one and about 15 minutes later he returned with only one piece.  He's just amazing!  One was metric (I think that what he said) and one wasn't.  Anyway... I love how the thing came out!
 I painted it with my favorite spray paint and then added dark wax.  The excess wax was removed and this is how it looks today!
  Isn't it fab?  I'm keeping it...at least for a while!
My last sweet find was a set of four candle cups with the word HOME cut out!  They really look lovely on our bookshelf holding faux tea light candles.  Not enough space for real votives...
 I'm off to work in my studio this morning!  I'm in the middle of finishing up another special order Gathering Case (Train Case) with another one to do in the wings...  I'll be sure to share with you soon.

Hope your Tuesday is wonderful~

Love to you

23 comments:

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,

The find at your Mother's place is precious and you did revive it in a nice way. Also the handkerchief stand is perfect. So the metric part must have been European than?
You know what to do for making things look special. You are so gifted!
Hugs to you,
Mariette

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love the tree basket in white, Rebecca! It looks lovely holding some of your pretties, too.

Theresa said...

What a sweet find and return to where it was created. Have a blessed day dear friend. Big hugs.

Sherri B. said...

I have never seen a hankie holder...Isn't it interesting how 'civilized' we all used to be. xo

sweetvintageofmine said...

I would keep that hanky holder too! Turned out so pretty~~~and I like the base you put on it better! from one sweetie to another~~~Roxie

Unknown said...

Oh, what great finds, Rebecca. I especially like the hankie stand with the tiny hands. Perfect for attaching paper wings!

The French Bear said...

Rebecca, what beautiful work you do, I can't believe the difference it makes, wow!!!
I love the look of your blog, I feel like I have away for so long......my heart is still in love with white although I am slowly adding grey to the works. Your hubby is very talented like you, love the hand stand!!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B
xxx

Okio B Designs said...

I love what you did with the clips! And how you updated the tree basket. So very sweet!

Jeanine

Yasmin Smith said...

You have been busy making some special things prettier!! The tree box is wonderful and I can think of a lot of uses for it...Christmas
time and all year through. Maybe your Mr.AGPMan should make some more for you to put in your shop inventory!! That way we gals could have one to use, too!!
The handerchief holder is lovely!
I like how you finished it off. I don't blame you for keeping it!!
You always have such great ideas!!
Enjoy the rest of the week...
Hugs and love, Francy

Stephanie said...

Wow, your work is so beautiful - everything looks stunning :) Your tree basket is just too cute. And a hankie holder...how fun! Enjoy your day.

Hugs,
Stephanie

sharon's shabby creations said...

Your new things are so magicaal!! So absolutly stunning!! Loving it!!

Hugs sharon

myletterstoemily said...

you can take anything and make it
beautiful. such a gift.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Love your projects--white makes stuff look so pretty:)

Ginger said...

I've never seen a hanky holder. How quaint! You always find the neatest things. Hope you are doing well. Mom came down with a sore throat and cold. Praying she gets well soon. Have a good evening. LOVE the basket, know that has a lot of memories.
Xo
G

Cindy The Victorian Journey said...

Rebecca, your talents are unmatched. I enjoy each post and the music that is so sweet and lovely makes me linger. Your a heart felt read, you always say the best things. I loved your newest hands and to know you re-purposed the basket all the better.. Hugs, Cindy

White Lace and Promises said...

Girrrrl! I love every little piece. What a precious find from long ago! Sweet! Hold on to it for dear life, a treasure!

How you can do so much with a can of paint, I'll never know!

How do you keep it from running?
I guess I'm always in too big of a hurry!

Take care, my friend.

Jocelyn said...

Wow Rebecca, your pieces look beautiful. Your creative touch always adds so much elegance to each piece. And I agree with you, I would keep the original Tree basket that your sweet hubby made all those years ago. What precious memories.

Hugs,
Jocelyn

Unknown said...

Well, goodness! You sure can make a girl blush. Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words.

Tanza said...

Hi Sweet ~r~,
Just peekin' through my favorite blogs tonite .. Being lazy,and always find FuN, and pretty with you !! How sweet that you came upon an old box that your Love made !! I like the make new !! Soo pretty !! Okay, I'm lovin' the little gingerbread looking man, I think, OR am I just seeing things .. hahaha .. Do you make those to sale ?!

Let me know if and when you paint up some more little vanity boxes, tins, or bottles ?! I'm hooked on those right now !!

Hoping all is well, and I KNOW you're cponting down to graduation !! Thinking of you sweet one ~
As always ~TeA~ xo

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

The tree basket is precious and I love it white. The hanky stand is very cute and how nice they look together painted white. You find the neatest stuff! Would sure love to browse your shop. Have a beautiful weekend, Rebecca.

Blesisngs,
Sandi

Victorian1885 said...

Good evening Rebecca
In all my travels I have never came across a Hanky holder, very sweet! It is great to see you on Pinterest! I am off to check out your wares on Ebay & Etsy... have a great night!
Hugs,
Wanda

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Sweet Rebecca, I never fail to be awed by your talent...and that of your AG man. So cute. Just SO cute!
Hugs,
Mona

Jonell w Harrison said...

I so love all the WHITES..and shades of white. You inspire me each time I visit -

Jonell

Blog Archive