Saturday, July 11, 2009

MAKING MEMORIES AT "POPS"...My Daddy Would LOVE THIS PLACE

~OUR MISS K~
IN THE CAR - READY TO GO AND VISIT "POPS"
~A Fabulous Oklahoma Landmark~

Our recent get-a-way took my hubbs and I away from our sweet Miss K for over 14 days! This of course made the heart of this NANA very sad! My Mr. AGPMan and I couldn't wait to return home to give her a squeeze and a kiss and of course the PRESENTS her PAPA and I found for her on our trip...

I picked her up from summer care yesterday and she spent the night with us so her Momma and Daddy could have some alone time! We watched movies which INCLUDED, but not limited to, Disney's CINDERELLA~ I can now honestly say that I've seen this film one million times. :) It was my girl's favorite movie and I'm beginning to think it's Miss K's favorite as well. I can now say with 100% certainty that I'm SICK of Cinderella...

~MENU FRONT AT POPS~

Before returning Miss K back home and to the loving arms of her parents, we promised to take her for burgers at "POPS" and a chance to choose for herself a fizzy drink in a special color...

"POPS" in located in Arcadia, just east of my home in Edmond, Oklahoma, on Route 66. I'm not even sure how to label "POPS" except to say that it is a store, of sorts, and an eatery! They sell food, fuel and fizz and it is fabulous... I do believe that "POPS" has EVERY SINGLE FLAVOR and COLOR of SODA POP on the planet and it was such a KICK to finally stop in to drink down the fizz and the fun...

FABULOUS POP BOTTLE SIGN
~It Lights Up At Night~

Visiting "POPS" today made me think of my aging father. When I was a little older than Miss K he would treat us kids to a "pop" on Sunday afternoon after church. I didn't realize it then, but the simple gesture of allowing my brother and two sisters and I the JOY of choosing our own color and flavor of soda from the deep cooler would one day become one of the most precious of memories I hold of him~ He would have LOVED this "POPS"place...

~THE OUTSIDE OF "POPS"~

"POPS" sells gasoline, too! The parking lot was jammed packed with cars! In the back (behind the store) you'll find covered tables and a huge span of lush, green grass for kids to run and play...

~MISS K AND I WAITING TO BE SEATED~

We couldn't help but STARE at all the bottles of Soda Pop that lined the windows! We were in awe... Couldn't wait to finish lunch so we could pick out our favorite bubb'ly drink and guzzle it down!

~THIS WAS ONLY ONE SIDE~

We had to wait about 30 minutes to be seated. Not too bad considering we arrived at 12:30...the height of lunch hour on a very, very HOT, 107 degrees, blistering OKLAHOMA DAY!

~I'M NOT SURE HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS~

I promised myself to choose SOMETHING other than my favorite "lemon-lime" (7-Up/Sprite) soda. When I was little my FAVORITE POP was Bubble-Up! It BURNED when it went down...it was also a BIG 16 ounces (long before 20 ounce bottles) and the other soda pops were only 12 ounces! :)
~BUT THIS FLAVOR MADE ME SMILE~

I thought about trying the Plantation Mint Julep above... but I got side-tracked when our Miss K chose...


~WAS SHE TRYING TO MATCH HER SHIRT?~

Can you guess?

~SAY IT ISN'T SO~

Yes! LEMON-LIME! I knew I loved this girl!!!! I settled on CREAM SODA (my second fav) and my hubbs picked a Vanilla Flavored Coke.

If you ever get a chance to visit my BEAUTIFUL STATE, you MUST MUST MUST make a stop at "POPS"! I promise, you will love it, too! Call me up...I'll join you!

Blessings to you as you drink up all the flavors of life...Rebecca

19 comments:

Tanza said...

AAaahhh.. sweet ~r~,
What memories my friend.. Sweet, very sweet.. mmmm.. did they have PINK ?! anything pink will do !! Miss K is soo beautiful, and just as precious in person..I KNOW !!You look soo pretty too.. Is my friend a bit blonder now?! It looks like you had a wonderful "soda pop" kinda day !! What a perfect thing to do on a hot day !! When I visit you, yes, we will go to Pops.. What fun !! hoping your evening to be restful !!
hugs ~tea~xo

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

YES INDEED, EYES LIKE AUDREY HEPBURN. WHAT A CUTIE BATOOTIE! POPS SOUNDS LIKE THE PLACE TO GO!! YOUR SUNDAY SODA AFTER CHURCH REMINDS ME OF MY CHILDHOOD MEMORY OF GOING TO BOB'S BIG BOY WHEN WE EVER DID GET THE CHNACE TO SPEND TIME WITH OUR DADDY. IT WAS RARE, BUT CHERISHED FOR SURE! IT'S WHAT MOST PEOPLE TAKE FOR GRANTED THAT WE REMEMBER THE MOST AS KIDS GROWING UP. I TRY SO MUCH TO DO "LITTLE" THINGS WITH MY KIDDOS, HOPING THAT SOMEDAY THEY WILL HAVE SWEET MEMORIES TOO. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD THE HEAT WE HAD TODAY! YUCKY. TAKE CARE- HEATHER

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Rebecca, What a wonderful time you all had. Loved the pics. Your Miss K is adorable. Glad you had some get away time. We will have to visit Pops for sure when we travel to Oklahoma.
Have a great evening.
Blessings to you sweet friend.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

blushing rose said...

What a fun date you all had with Miss K, & obviously she was thrilled.

Rebecca, she is absolutely gorgeous ... you can see your reflection in her thru & thru.

I hadn't heard of this place on Rt. 66 ... looks very interesting, tho.

We enjoyed Mollie's House of Good Repute in OKC .. had you ever been there. It was a real fun place to dine. I believe it is gone now, tho.

Are you all settled back in & rested up from the trip? Have a beautiful weekend.

TTFN ~Marydon

Sue @ Not the Good Scissors! said...

O.K. Now I want to hop in the car and go to POPs and I live in California! What a fun place. And by the way, cream soda is my all time favorite!

The picture of you and Miss K. is precious.
xxoo, Susan

A Southern Rose said...

She is so beautiful and she looks just like you! I love that picture! Pop's looks like a fun place! My favorite soda of all time was Nehi Peach! I haven't had one in years! Now I am addicted to Coca Cola. I try to only drink one a day. Its so hard!

blushing rose said...

OMG! Rebecca, I sing that song, & play it in the car all the time. Josh Groban! TY It didn't come to me tonight, & it should have. You are amazing. TYSM I am everso grateful. Hugs, TTFN ~ Marydon

Cindy said...

This post is just great! My brother and his family live in Edmund, I need to ask him about this place....I want to go there when we visit them!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

What a fun store girl...and your little K is just darling...May you have a great weekend my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Tara said...

What a treat for the little one AND the big kids! She's a doll! 7-up/Sprite are my favorites, followed by orange and cream soda, but I love Pepsi with pizza. I detest Coca Cola. There, you now have the complete rundown. Too much information right, LOL!Have a beautiful Sunday!

joanne said...

My husband and I have a 'dream' of driving Route 66 after he retires. I hope this place will still be there because I have written it in my heart for us to visit. It looks like you had a lovely day with your gorgeous Miss K. Beauty is as beauty does right?? How do you stand the heat, it doesn't look as it bothers anyone much. I wilt at 85degrees! Thanks for sharing your special day with us..;p

Eclectic Chic Style said...

She does look just like you. What a cute pair you two make checking out all of the sodas. What fun, I'd love to visit this place. I'm with Tea....any pinks? lol!! Always fun visiting you my friend, hope you're Sunday is a great one.
Hugs,
♥ Teresa

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to make memories! Maybe someday she will be writing in her blog all about this day with Nana!!
Love Ya',
Marilyn
xxoo

Sue @ Not the Good Scissors! said...

I have to post another comment. I thought it was just me but I always thought you and Miss K looked alike. After reading the other comments I see I am not the only one that sees it.
Take care, Susan
P.S. Congratulations on your Etsy shop! I will be listing my things on Etsy...one of these days :)

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Rebecca!

Oh what joy! Pure JOY! I adore spending time with my little guy....it's just delish! Your little Miss K is just adorable and what fun making the "POP" memory with her...

Hugs,
Spencer

Anonymous said...

Oh How fun!!your little Miss K is just so precious! I am sure you both are just loving each second of this sweet little angel!! Thanks so much for sharing these fun moments with us!
Hugs, Lynn

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Rebecca! I loved this story. It looks like a good time was had by all. I think when we come home in the fall we are going to have to look Pops up. Miss K is just precious. Country Hugs, Sherry

~~Deby said...

oh she is a q-tie---just like her Nana..btw..I am Nana too...and then my beloved is Papa.....don't you just love it..
POPS looks good to me....I love lemon-lime as well...and..and...and...

Blog Archive