Thursday, July 9, 2009

~HOMES OF GOTHENBURG! Nebraska At It's BEST~

PRETTY LANDSCAPED VICTORIAN

Sometimes I feel as though I was born to make a home a home~ Sort of like it's been my calling! Make sense? It does to me. No matter where I've laid my head, each little place I've lovingly shared with my hubby somehow has been transformed into a real home.


PATRIOTISM WITH STYLE

3 CHEERS FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE

DRESSED FOR THE 4TH OF JULY

CELEBRATING INDEPENDENCE

I've made a home in so many towns since marrying my Mr. AGPMan that even now the thought of having sixteen different addresses during our 30 years of marriage seems impossible to fully comprehend~ Especially since we've lived in our "La Chaumière de Briarwood" for 17 years now...

LADY IN RED

MAKE MINE PINK

BLUE, BLUE MY WORLD IS BLUE

Last week my hubby and I traveled north for a visit to his childhood home of Gothenburg, Nebraska. And it would be in this tiny town we were to make the "first" of our many homes together. It was a humble little dwelling...just a ramshackle apartment that cost us a whopping $78 per month. It sported large windows and of all the places I've lived before and since, it was my least favorite. It had peg-board cabinets and a tub with a shower that never worked. We lived there for only a short time after we married in 1978 and even though the outside of the apartment has changed a little, most of it remains as we left it three decades ago. This is a picture of our first home as it is today. Top right apartment in the very back...

SUCH A SAD LITTLE THING...

...BUT IT WAS HOME FOR A WHILE

THIS IS WHERE WE ATTENDED CHURCH

Many of the homes in Gothenburg appear to be postcard perfect. Neat and tidy gardens overflowing with romantic roses while fanciful flowers frame the narrow driveways and wrap-around porches. Some of the houses are truly grand. And then there are others that seem oddly out of step with the earth and sky around them. Obviously birthed in haste, built to last only a few years and yet amazingly many have survived for close to a century...

THIS HOUSE IS TRULY GRAND

I found myself wondering, even if only for a moment, why it was we moved away... I suppose the easy answer is that small town living didn't mix well with this city-lovin', hard-headed, mind-ever-changin' gal~ Sooooo...my sweet hubby scooped me up and away we went...

CHARMING COTTAGE ON THE PLAIN

Thanks for stopping in for a quick peek at my hubby's hometown... Hope you enjoyed the tour!

Blessings to you as you find life in all the places you call home...Rebecca

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice trip for me first thing in the morning. The homes there are lovely.
Isn't it amazing where we 1st made our homes?? Our 1st apt. was in a duplex at $75. a mo. & that included everything. That was also in late 1968.
Was life simpler then? No... but in hindsight I would love to go back to the early years of our marriage. One stipulation... I would want to know then all that I know now! LOL!!
Lovely post!
Love,
Marilyn

blushing rose said...

I don't know this town but my g'pa was from Seward, NB. They do have beautiful picture perfect homes in many towns out there.

We love to just drive up & down streets looking at the exquisite architecture ... sometimes wondering who the people were that filled these homes, was there love & joy or hard times. How did they live in their times?

One thing we found very interesting in our travels is that usually the largest most beautiful stately homes were built along the rivers or rails which were afforded by the wealthy long ago.

These homes are gorgeous ... but don't you find that coming home to your 'castle' brings such a glow of warmth & love to your heart.

Have a beautiful day ~ TTFN ~Marydon

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

Lately, I've been wondering why I left Caney - why I seldom even returned for visits. These questions grow bigger the more I connect with old Kansas friends who are still there. I suppose the short answer is JOBS. But, like Gothemburg, it was/is a slice of American pie. These pictures are wonderful. Charming homes, flags blowing in the wind. Americana, for sure. We move on and it feels like some places in our past stand still - ready for us to return - love them in ways we never did before. Thanks for sharing. I've been talking on FB with my old drama teacher. Yesterday, she told me she taught the students of some of my classmates. Man, time flies. And, for a split second, I imagined Juliette at my high school -- I wish I could give her something that good. The city is a wonderful place. I don't think I could ever leave it, but rural America - there's a lot to be said for it, huh?

Sandra said...

Rebecca, what a wonderful post. I always look forward to stopping by a small town when we are traveling. It is so calming, so serene. Thank you for sharing your photos of this beautiful little town.
Blessings,
Sandra

Tara said...

I always love looking at pictures of old homes. I've started taking some pictures of the neat old place in our town, I need to take a few more before I post. I don't know why so many old houses stand the test of time and remain so current and loved. I often wonder how many of the homes built in the last 10 years will be able to do the same and not just seem dated like so many houses built in the 70's and 80's. I guess time will tell.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Rebecca, Good Morning Darlin- Home is where the heart is. Each home you have lived in was special, because you my darlin put your heart in it. A mom is the heart of the home. I truly believe that. Moving away from Enid, to Phoenix, and having absolutely no family here at all, I pulled up my boot straps, and hopped on for the biggest ride of my life that continues each and every day. I love to hear my children and grandchildren call our house their home. It does my heart good. I love your post today. So beautiful and thank you for the tour. You have a happy heart Rebecca. I love that most about you. Country Hugs, Sherry

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Rebecca! ♥

Déjà View Designs said...

What a lovely post! Thank you for sharing your husband's charming hometown with us. Home is special.

Anonymous said...

Love the homes tour, Rebecca! Have a wonderful evening!
bE a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Andrea said...

Oh, they are all so beautiful, and I don't know which is my favorite!

My dear husband and I have moved much, too! I just counted 15 times. We have been in our current home 2 years, but have lived in this city nine years. Time has gone by very quickly.

Blessings to you, dear friend. I have a picture of the beautiful sachet on my recent post. I love it still! And the scent is so nice!

God bless.

Andrea

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

My Dearest Rebecca!
I have left something for you at my BLOG. When you get a chance please stop by and pick it up. You have so touched my life in the weeks that we have shared, and I also believe you to be one of the most caring Christian women that I know. I am so richer for having shared moments with you. Thank you Rebecca and God Bless you, Country Love and Hugs, Sherry

My Pink & Cream Cottage said...

Ok Rebecca now you really have my mouth watering what beautiful homes they would cost an absolute fortune *downunder* & I could only ever dream of owning such beauties but don't get me wrong, I am more than fullfilled living in my little cottage the saying *home is where the heart is* is true. So how is your bedroom makeover going Sweet? am very impaitently waiting for the final finished photos you know....
I need to thank you for your last comment to me & for writting out the song I reread it quite a few times & it kept tugging at my brain that I knew this song... it wasn't until I was talking to my Mum on the phone the other night & she told me it was a song we used to sing at the Salvation Army Church I attended as a child. So hows that of all the songs you could have picked for me it was one I really enjoyed singing as a child in church... life can be so funny at times.
Oh & have to let you know I just loved your previous post couldn't have said it better myself...
Have a lovely weekend my special friend your always in my thoughts you know?????

Lyn xxx

June said...

Hi Rebecca,
Your hubby's hometown is a charmer! I love the homes that you shared. Oh my, when I think of the awful house that was our first, I shudder. It had the scariest dirt basement. I think they could have filmed a Stephen King movie in it.
Hugs,
June

Barb said...

Hi Rebecca, such charming houses....so full of character and spirit. This was a real treat.

Hope you are doing well.

Love and hugs,
Barb

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh Rebecca!....

I so agree....I HAVE to make a house a home, and I too, believe I was born to do it. It's my passion for sure. When my Hubbs and I began talking of marriage and where we would live we decided to keep his house....it was quite nice and in a great location....with the promise that I could do anything I wanted to it. I HAD to be able to fix things up... :-) He told me he'd been waiting for the right girl to come along to make it a home....I swear......sometimes I have to pinch myself we're so well matched! :-) God is SO good!

Hugs,
Spencer

PS....loved that great tour. What sweet homes.

June said...

It's me again,I got tagged the other day and I have tagged you. If it not's your thing, don't feel bad about declining.
Hugs,
June

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a great tour. I love to look at beautiful older homes and you can always tell which one is really a home and not a house. I so want my house to be a home filled with love and friendship. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the visit and your gracious comments. Hugs Marty

Yolanda said...

What a beautiful blog!

Yolanda w/Higher Grounds

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Gothenburg seems a perfect fit for me; unlike you, I'm all about small town life and picture perfect homes! Give me Mayberry anyday. Thanks for the tour and your kind words of comfort.

peace~elaine

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Blog Archive