Wednesday, May 4, 2011

~CASA BLANCA and Way Too Much PINK For Me~

 ~EARLY SHOT of the MONTE VISTA HOTEL~

During our trip to Arizona my Mr. AGPMan and I made a point to visit the historic Monte Vista Hotel located in Flagstaff.  Originally built in 1926 under a citizen subscription legislation, the Hotel Monte Vista quickly became the place to stay for every kind of traveler you can imagine! Years ago it offered an oasis of lush surroundings and a chance to rub shoulders with the local and national elite.
 
~RECENT SHOT of the MONTE VISTA HOTEL~

Because it is located just a little north of the famous Old Route 66, the Hotel ended up being "home" to thousands of adventurous and colorful characters.  Many famous people have stayed at the Monte, from bank robbers to Stars in Hollywood.
 ~ON LOCATION FILMING FOR CASA BLANCA?~

I loved stopping in for a quick peek at the room Humphrey Bogart stayed in.  There is a persistent rumor going around (one that has run rampant for many, many years) that a scene in the classic (and romantic!) movie Casa Blanca was filmed at the Monte Vista.
 ~ARCHED DOORWAYS ARE LOVELY~
 ~AMAZING STAIRCASE~
 ~MY MR.AGPMan (R) with an Old College Pal~

People working at the Hotel swear by it...but I found conflicting statements regarding it's truth.  Some of the websites I visited denounce it while others say it is true.
~MOVIE SET or ON LOCATION?~

The pictures you see above and below with the arched doorways sure look like the Monte.  But...they could have easily been duplicated on nearly any movie set...so one may never really know.
~A CLASSIC and ROMANTIC MOVIE~

Regardless, seeing the old Hotel for myself was totally enjoyable and I'm so glad we paid it a visit!
 ~HUMPHREY BOGART DOOR #408~

Now...we opted NOT to stay at the Monte for reasons I'm not afraid to share.  My guy and I wanted total comfort...not just nostalgia on our get-a-way.  We stayed at the Hilton because it was away from the railroad tracks (and constant whistle noise) and also because we wanted a pool, workout room and breakfast...
 ~INSIDE VIEW of BOGART'S ROOM~

We also found out while touring the Hotel the ELEVATOR WAS OUT (what???) and trust me when I say this girl was NOT going to lug her luggage up four flights of hairpin stairs JUST TO STAY AT THE MONTE!
~SWEET ANTIQUE DRESSER~
~TEENSY BATHROOM w/ TINY SHOWER~

I'm not TRYING to be snarky here...truly I'm not.  But, my personal opinion about the decor in the rooms was that it was lacking and honestly a tad-bit tacky.  I believe the decorators were going for a look of old/vintage Hollywood Glam and I'm thinking the total package fell a bit short.  At least it did for me!  Extremely BRIGHT, hi-gloss yellow and black paint was used on the walls and the black bedding appeared heavily washed and faded.  The single closet was sooo small that MAYBE a dress, shirt and pair of jeans would have fit inside.  OK...I'm know I'm being sarcastic, but you get the drift...right?
 ~NOW THATSA-ALOTTA PINK~

Also, Debbie Reynolds' room was the BRIGHTEST SHOCKING PINK I've ever seen and was decorated in a similar wacky-tacky fashion (sorry...just trying to be REAL HERE)!  You all KNOW I love, love, LOVE PINK...but even this pink was TOO MUCH FOR ME!

  Even so, the Hotel was truly worth seeing in person~  I'm just not sure I'd ever actually stay there!!!

I hope you loved seeing a few more of our pics!  Don't forget I have a SWEET GIVEAWAY currently running and I would love to enter your name for a charming Sachet Pillow, Altered Art Card and Decorative Soap from my A Gathering Place Shoppe!  Click this LINK to find out more!


Blessings and love to you today...

4 comments:

Theresa said...

We didn't visit the Hotel, but I will add it to my list for my return trip:) I wouldn't like to stay there either, we love comfort too!

I enjoyed seeing the pink but I agree a little too MUCH!

Enjoy your day, can't wait to win the giveaway... hehe!

Lounging with a Latte said...

Thanks for showing those photos. I agree totally that the decor of the rooms look a bit tacky and certainly the pink is over the top!!! I like the luxury of a nice motel or apartment to!

NanaDiana said...

LOL- I'll bet you won't get a free hotel room for your rave reviews! I think that sometimes they just go too far with all that "recreation" and it is best left modernized a bit. I mean really, who wants to stay in a room that is school bus yellow and black? Well, maybe a vacationing teacher!

I am glad you opted to stay at the Hilton- You are my kinda gal!!!! xxoo Diana

KatyDidStitches said...

I really enjoyed this post, Rebecca!

My hubbin and I stayed at the Monte Vista on our Route 66 trip in 1994...in the Gary Cooper room. I don't remember any wacky paint scheme in there...but I DO remember the shower. My hubbin and I are 6'4" and 5'10", respectively...and the shower heads hit us at about mid-chest. Now, either people were a LOT shorter back then...or they didn't wash their hair in the shower. Holy back-bend Batman...who needs yoga?!!

Blog Archive