Sunday, May 22, 2011

~~~~~THOUGHTS ON A SUNDAY MORNING~~~~~ When Your Heart Is Hurting

No long ago while visiting with one of my closest friends we had a chance to talk about the many wonderful things that have taken place in each of our lives as well as past hurts and frustrations.  We've known each other for decades now and the longer we chatted I could tell that she had been deeply wounded by the words and actions by someone she once greatly admired.

It was obvious to me her heart was hurting.
It wasn't difficult to envision my longtime friend and her sufferings.  I could see her in my mind as she worked her way through challenging days that oftentimes left her ripped up and torn down.  Perhaps the words and actions of her offender were intended to hurt and destroy her.  Then again, maybe not; but that didn't matter.

Not to her anyway.
My friend's wounds were deep and the pass of the bully-knife had cut deep into her bones. To the naked eye they weren't easily seen as most of her injuries were internal.  Her feelings were bruised.  Her emotions were shattered.  Her heart was broken.  She felt frustrated and alone and even though I could fully relate to many of the things she had openly shared, I felt completely incapable of helping her.
I was without words.

I only promised I would pray.
This past week was draining on my hubby and I and our days were complicated.  Finding even a few minutes to steal myself away for some quite time wasn't easy to do.  But, early this morning I was led to a scripture that once again returned my thoughts to my longtime friend...
  
"When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate...instead, he entrusted himself to Him who judges justly."
(1st Peter 2:23 NIV)
 I suppose it's human nature to want to get even with those whose goal in life is to harm another human being.

Is it any wonder why we need a Savior?

I'm reminded that unless I present myself wholly repentant before the Father, allowing the cleansing water of His forgiveness to wash over me completely, I will ultimately walk away with dirty hands...
I encourage you today, no matter what it is you are experiencing, to leave the judging to God.  Not only did Jesus avoid seeking revenge, he didn't even ask for an apology.  Unbelievably, he chose to defend his offenders.  The balm of his healing love was enough.

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."
(Luke 23:34 NIV)

Blessings to you this beautiful Sunday morning.  May your day be filled with peace, love and hope from the Most High~

(PS:  The pictures of all the churches were taken while in Nebraska last week.  The one at the top is my favorite.  The second one is the church my hubby and I attended right after we married in 1978.  They are ALL so beautiful and truly depict a sweeter time in the world...)

Love to you...

30 comments:

Bluebell said...

I was just reading about your dear Pop-in-Law what a lovely man he is and what a desperate decision to have to make, your lovely man and his Mom have done the right thing and I hope their hurt will ease with time, I will pray for you all and your dear friend too. My Father-in-Law has dementia but is still able to be at home with his loving wife who cares for him with much love although it is difficult, we all try to help as much as we can but it is sad to see someone reduced to this terrible disease. Thinking of you all
Love Jillx

Theresa said...

Oh what beautiful pictures, I love the older Churches still standing after all of these years! I pray that you all have a wonderfully blessed Sunday, Hugs to your friend too!

Unknown said...

The pictures of the churches are just lovely. Your family is in my prayers and you are so right about leaving the judgement to the one who judges - we never get it quite right anyway when we try to judge do we? Big hugs to you.

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Rebecca~
Thank you for your beautiful post this morning ~

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Beautiful post!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

My husband pastored a chuch much like the 4th picture.
I hope you have a blessed week.

Celestina Marie said...

Blessed Sunday Rebecca,
What a lovely and truthful post. I have been in your friends place with a bully. I chose to stay quiet and still. God took care of the rest. In most cases, it is all we can do along with prayer.

Your kitchen looks like it is coming along. I can so relate to the work. We are starting on another bathroom next weekend. Oh boy, joy joy!! But really, I enjoy ever minute of a redo, you know I do!!
Prayers for you, your family and the days ahead.
Love you, Celestina Marie

Sue @ Not the Good Scissors! said...

Everything about this post is beautiful. The Churches (they are gorgeous and peaceful), your uplifting thoughts and of course you :-)
Have a blessed Sunday and a blessed week!
Love you girlie
Hugs

The Green Pea said...

Thank you for the beautiful post. God Bless you and your family. I love all of the photos of the churches. sandi

Jan's Blog said...

When the student is ready the teacher appears. I awoke this morning with questions about hurt feelings and you've answered my questions, and I know now what I am to do, and I thank you. Instead of being bummed out all day I can now enjoy this Sabbath with a restored heart.

Have you ever been a teacher? You have an instinct for teaching I've noticed, and you teach beautifully!

Hugs, Jan

ShirleyC said...

I can really relate to this. Thanks for a great message and beautiful pictures. Prayers for your family.

Sonya Badgley said...

Dear Rebecca,
Thank you for your important message today. It is so important for us to forgive! And one of the hardest things for us to do!
Your photos of these churches are beautiful. Thank you for sharing, dear friend.
Love, Sonya

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post Rebecca. There are times when there are no words to say to those we love. Only that we can pray for their heart not to hurt so and give comfort.
The moments in life when we are the most scared, hurt or upset are when only God can soothe and give comfort. The problems are too great for us and He is waiting.
Thank you for your timely scripture and may God Bless you...

Hugs,
Lynn♥

Annesphamily said...

This was very beautiful. It is so hard keeping 'revenge' out of my head! I work with the most wicked women! All non believers! So tragic. I deal with unpleasant situation every work day. Hugs and Love to you for posting this! Anne

Beautiful choice of Scripture too!

Happy Sunday!

Jeannie B. said...

Such encouraging advice. God always knows what to say!!

Rita said...

What a beautiful write today, Rebecca. I also have a friend who is hurting and I am going to reccomend her to come read your post. She is a very lovely lady and has been hurt by several people. My heart goes out to her. Thanks for writing this.

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

So very well said....and I love, love that photo of the first old church...it's fabulous.

Happy Day Sweet Rebecca,
Stephanie ♥

Mariette said...

Dearest Rebecca,

And today's Reading about St. Stephen also mentioned that when he was being stoned to death, he knelt down and asked God to not hold it against them... He acted like Jesus did. We need to be more like it and letting go of things. And I'm afraid that those that are hurting us, live outside of any deep belief!

Lots of love and wishing you both strength,

Mariette

Unknown said...

Boy, howdy did I need to be reminded of this. I had been betrayed, by someone I considered a friend, in a very public venue...Twitter! It has been hard to let this go as she just seemed to compound one thing after another. I may never trust her again but yes, I can let it go and give it to the Lord to deal with for me. Peace and blessings on you!

Char said...

Very well said Rebecca, and I love the photos of the churches. I think the last one is a favorite, Char

Sherri B. said...

Sometimes forgiving is a very bitter pill to swallow but it is really for our best, The Lord is always right and only He knows what is in all of our hearts. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and Gods words.

Shabby T said...

BLESS YOUR SWEET SOUL...
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING SUCH MEANING TO TODAY..
ALSO YOUR FRIEND IS SO LUCKY TO HAVE SUCH A LOVELY PERSON TO HELP HER THROUGH HER TRIALS EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE THOSE WORDS TO SAY SHE DOES KNOW YOU ARE THERE FOR HER..

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dear Rebecca, if I could be more like Jesus! His example is just amazing and His love is overwhelming! I love the scripture and the song you're playing "I Will Carry You" just brings me to tears.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Unknown said...

Yes! Comment received and thank you!

Ginger said...

Beautiful words of wisdom and that much needed today!!! Thank you friend.
Those pics of the churches are so endearing. The church I grew up in at Wakita, Okla looked much like those, but burned down several years ago.
XOXO

Susan said...

The churches are beautiful! I will pray for your friend!

Dolores said...

I needed to read your post today. I've been 'shunned' by someone I thought was my friend..... I have NO IDEA why..... I've ask, with no reply...anyway..... I need to turn this over to God, because it's eating at my heart.
Love the church pictures!
hugs,

Julie Marie said...

So beautiful my friend... both your caring words and your gorgeous photos of the little country churches... yes, they take me back to a simpler, gentler time... I want to linger there... xoxo Julie Marie

Jill said...

This is a wonderful post! Thank you.

Blessings,
Jill

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Catching up on past posts. Love these beautiful old country churches. Some of my fav church memories were a couple of the old churches hubby and I visited while on honeymoon! Thanks for sharing.

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Blog Archive