Wednesday, March 14, 2012

~OOH LA LA!!! FRENCH WHITE REFURBISHED TRAIN CASE~

I find no greater pleasure, creatively speaking, than giving new life to old ratty-trap Train Cases!  I love refurbishing them and turning each one into a special keepsake for the home   They are perfect for holding all sorts of treasures...from photos to love letters and beyond!  I've been refashioning these sweet aging beauties for over twenty years now and each Case transformed brings me so much joy! No two are ever alike and they can be made as simple or as elaborate as you like!
  My Mr. AGPMan found this wee little Case at a local sale here in Oklahoma.  Generally I don't makeover Cases with only a single latch, but I was so taken with the size of this one that I couldn't resist bringing it home.  It's dainty and it has this sweet texture to the outside!  LOVE IT!
I decided to do this one up using reproduced vintage French graphics accented with hand painted roses in a softly muted pink.  For those of you that don't paint maybe you could use stamps?  I distressed the edges and then lined the inside with a soft white linen.  First time I've ever used linen for the inside!  Love the simpleness and feel of this fabric!  The back includes a shirred/ruched pocket complemented with vintage millinery blooms (lovin' that great velvet pansy flower!), vintage crochet lace and an old skeleton key...
What makes this great old Case extra special is that it came with the original key!  Almost unheard of these days as such things are long-lost!  It still has the manufacturer's paper label tied to it, too!  I did some research on this Case (I wasn't familiar with the brand) and it appears to be about 60-65 years old!  Can you believe that?
Now~I find vintage Cases all the time and they vary greatly in price!  As you hunt for them look for ones that are free from major tears and broken threads...

Couldn't forget about showing you the back!
Here is the before shot I showed you the other day!  The litty bitty key is tied onto the top handle!

 Today I'm linking up with:
(for The Talent Scouting Party!)

You just MUST check out this super neat site!
You are going to LOVE IT!

Also linking up with
for White Wednesday

Hope your hump-day is fabulous!  I'm off to sew and paint!
I.Owe.I.Owe.
So. Off. To. Work. I. Go.

Love to you...

31 comments:

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,

That is one sweet little train case with roses on! You sure did it with such love that it always shows in the finished work. I can know as I have one; a large one though.
Love to you,
Mariette

Linda said...

What a lovely train case Rebecca! You give everything you magic touch! (:>)

EllenaElizabeth said...

A beautiful makeover indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Very, very pretty! As usual you have worked your magic! :)

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Very pretty Rebecca. I so admire your talents to create such lovely things.

hugs
Sissie

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Rebecca
You sure worked your charm on this case, an amazing transformation.
It brings back memories for my mother had a small case like this only hers was blue. It was the neatest thing for a young girl to play with. :-)
Judith

Unknown said...

that is adorable I never would have thought of making it an inside pocket like that. Now I want a train case!

NanaDiana said...

You think it is just gorgeous! You do such a great job! You know the funniest thing? The other night I had a dream that I had found a little case like that and I was trying to get it for YOU..and the owner was hemming and hawing about selling it-even thought it was in a shop setting. Weird, huh? Then I woke up and had my hand clutched tight like I was holding onto the handle.

GORGEOUS, Rebecca! xo Diana

Anonymous said...

I came across your beautiful blog while searching for vintage train cases for sale in the OKC area. As a fellow resident of Edmond, I love seeing such wonderful things (your blog, your talent and your love for the Lord) being put out to the world as a representative of such an awesome place to live.

I've added you my blog must read list!! SO excited to find you. Now the hunt for a train case continues.

vintage girl at heart said...

Love it!! I have a few old suitcases in my junk shed that may need a makeover like this!
Yours is just darling!
Enjoy your day this weather is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, love the fabric you used on the inside,

Theresa said...

Gorgeous!!! Enjoy today dear Rebecca! HUGS!!!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Oh my word Rebecca...that is the cutest one ever....I love it! You are really good!

Dolores said...

Wow, what an amazing work of artistry on the little train case. It's beautiful!!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Rebecca, what a darling train case! I love your roses and sweet touches which make this case so charming. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely day, my friend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

PS~ Love the look of your blog too!

Lisa said...

Wow! Absolutely love it! Your talent never ceases to amaze me.:)

Anonymous said...

Once again, your talent is never ending and always beautiful. I especially love this particular case! I like the casual over all look of it while keeping in step with your other cases giving off beauty & a gorgeous way to show off pretties or collect love letters to keep inside. Gorgeous R, simply gorgoeus! Hugs. T

By the by, love this young gal singing from glee... I look to you.. wonderfully done by her.

Barbara Jean said...

Adore that train case sweetie.
You do such incredibly beautiful work.

Always fun to visit here

blessings
barbara jean

Linda Breedlove said...

Oh Rebecca, this case is gorgeous!!! So amazing what you do!

Marilyn said...

My favorite--the pink roses! Always fun to see your finished work.♥♫

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Rebecca, your train case is soooooo beautiful. I wanted to thank you so much for your very sweet comment on my post, but your are the truly talented one, everything you do is just gorgeous!!!
Hugs~~ Daphne

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Just found your blog. Love what you did to the vintage train case. It looks so creative with all your special touches to it. New Follower.

Jody

Anonymous said...

Rebecca this train case is so beautiful!! I always wish I could paint when I see your beautiful transformations!

bee blessed
mary

Unknown said...

Love, love, love that train case!

Passionate for White said...

Well isn't that just the prettiest!

Your Craft Book said...

I just love the French feel and styling that this lovely case has, great work Rebecca. Your cases are the best bar none, a treasure for the new owner, Maureen.

Kerri said...

Oh Rebecca, you did an excellent job on the traincase. You are so talented. I love the French accents!

Have a sweet weekend :)

xoxo
Kerri

Unknown said...

Dear Rebecca:
I am a fan of all your traincases, but this one might be my fav! The wee size, the French accents...white, white, white. It's heavenly!
xo
Roselle

White Lace and Promises said...

Out browsing and read your post. Absolutely beautiful. I have got to try this! Love all you do!

tawn said...

Rebecca, I just found your blog while browsing Pinterest. I have also just purchased a train case. Could you give me any info on how to redo the lining on the inside...how it is applied,etc? Thanks so much!!

I love your blog and will be back!

Blog Archive