Monday, September 21, 2009

~Grace Upon Grace - Trusting When Disappointments Come~

~GRACE UPON GRACE~

This morning my heart grew heavy as a little family I love very much faced disappointment. Even though I’ve always SAID “God’s Grace is Enough!”, I couldn’t help but feel a bit overwhelmed as I considered the sadness my loved ones would experience as the week ahead played itself out. Is God's Grace ENOUGH? Is it? Or is it just something easy to say when the going gets tough for someone OTHER than me?

I lay quietly for a few minutes after hanging up the phone, trying to digest the latest news that had come our way. I found myself wishing I could will myself back into the gentle slumber of night. I wanted to bury my head back into my pillow, curl back up into the warmth of my beloved and rest. But, rest would not come…only tears.

“Sometimes life is crummy” I thought.

After tossing and turning for far too long I kicked off the covers and faced the day. And, just as I do every morning I picked up a small book and began to read a short devotional…

It began…

“Test this question: What if God’s only gift to you was His grace to save you? Would you be content? You beg Him to save the life of your child. You plead with Him to keep your business afloat. You implore him to remove the cancer from your body. What if His answer is, “My grace is enough.” Would you be content?...”

“Huh? WHAT?” I couldn’t believe it…

“Are you kidding me, God? Why these words of all days? Don’t you know I’m SAD today? I don’t want to read today something I’ve heard about all my life! I know you give MORE of Your grace when the burdens in our lives grow greater! I KNOW you send even MORE of your strength when our earthly labors increase~to multiplied sorrows You send Your multiplied peace~I know it all! I just DON’T want to read about it TODAY!”

I sat undisturbed for over an hour as God allowed the Holy Spirit to comfort me in love. He knew I needed time for what I’ve always believed about His promises to take hold~time for His grace upon grace to sink back into my questioning heart.

When the tears stopped I couldn’t help but think how disappointing it is when the God I love doesn’t do what I sometimes want Him to do. Still, I know deep within He knows more about my life than I do and He has promised to get me (and those I love) through the tough times.

Must be that "Grace Thing" again...

“I have learned to be satisfied with the things I have and with everything that happens.” Philippians 4:11

Blessings to you as you see from Heaven’s perspective, that His grace is always enough…Rebecca

20 comments:

Tanza said...

Ooohh sweet ~r~,
I'm soo sad, so very sad.. These are words full of wisdom, and with this grace, has to be our faith.. faith knowing, that our sweet Lord, has better plans.. Our ways and desires are maybe not in HIS time.. Please feel my love and prayers for each of you this very day, and please know and feel I'm lifting you all in prayer..God is good my friend..
Big squishey hugs~
~tea~xo

Tootsie said...

I have days like that more and more this last year. I know how it is to question and doubt...I also know he is carrying us when we need him most

Anonymous said...

Amen! His grace *is* enough but sometimes we have a hard time believing and receiving that- experiencing it- if you will. And sometimes, life *is* crummy. REALLY crummy things hapen but I have experienced God's comfort, strength and power in life's most crummiest moments. It's so amazing! He's so big! May your loved ones *experience* the same. ♥

Anonymous said...

Isn't is wonderful when in our troubles, God keeps near just as He promised? I will be praying for the family you mentioned and that He will also comfort your heart in the matter. God is sovereign and all things are in His hands.

Jocelyn said...

Thank you for sharing your heart today.

Lisa said...

The waiting for things to happen and the accepting that they happen in Gods way are the hardest things we do every day. I just try to remember "Be Still and know that I an God" I really have this everywhere and it is so comforting to give my burdens to him but I do have to remember it is done in his way not ours. I know he loves me so I get through. Thank you for sharing!
Hugs, Lisa

Laura said...

Thank you Rebecca for a lovely reminder.

I am always renewed when I visit your blog.

Thank you.

Laura

debi said...

Amen. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh Rebecca I'm sorry your heart aches today and I hope tomorrow is a better day. Your perspective on life even in the darkest of times is inspiring...thank you.

Abby:)

June said...

Sweet Rebecca, I ask the Lord to bless you and those in your family who need comfort at this time. I know with all my heart that the Lord strengthens us in our times of trials so that we can carry on. A beautiful post as always.
Hugs and love to you,
June

Unknown said...

Your words gave me pause today. We are studying "calling" in our Bible Study. The part that has stuck with me all week is that sometimes that calling just isn't easy. This whole life isn't easy, and if I take my eyes off of myself, I see there are so many others in the same boat. It IS easier to say grace is enough for someone else, or look and cry, "unfair!"
Thank you for your words to remind me that He is ALWAYS on our side, no matter what, and that we ALL struggle.
Lynn

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

So sorry for your heart ache....I know so well how difficult it is sometimes to just rest in God's grace. Sometimes, it doesn't FEEL enough...but He always gives just the right amount and when we need it the most.
Joy comes in the morning!!

BECKY said...

Hi Sweet Rebecca, Into every life some rain must fall. This is a common bond we all share. Many times we cannot understand the "why" of it all, and the truth is we're not suppose to. His ways are not our ways nor ours His. His ways are mysterious, even the greatest Bible scholars can't begin to fathom them. A small but significant phrase helps me face all the pain, uncertainty, discomfort, heartache, lack of ability to understand etc... This phrase is "just trust". So very simple...like a child jumping into it's parent's arms..."just trust"
Complete abandon to the God who holds the universe in His mighty hands, and Who, with those same hands, catches our tears in a bottle, knowing exactly how many tears we cried. What a glorious God who bathes us in His peace during these difficult times when our gut is just wrenching.

May He continue to bathe you and this precious family in His peace, and bring you all comfort through His Holy Spirit and give your spirits rest.

Praying with you, my friend,
Love,
Becky

Mary H said...

~~Rebecca~~Gentle hugs to you my friend..this blog post today is so true. I will keep you and your family in my prayers and I know you feel God's gentle arms around you now in your time of need. I understand.
Hugs & love to you dear friend, Mary H.

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear Rebecca! Thank you for being so human and sharing you feelings today. I know I've been right where you are and have wondered where God was. I knew He was with me, but I just couldn't 'feel' Him. He loves us so much and does know what's best for us. Sometimes circumstances just don't make any sense but God is always there loving us. I'm so glad you allowed Hime to love you.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

My Pink & Cream Cottage said...

Hi Sweet Rebecca... beautiful post I hope as your day goes on that things get easier for you, know that you are always in my thoughts...

Lyn xxx

Tara said...

Oh Rebecca, I'm sorry for whatever sadness your family is facing. I know I'm not always graceful during rough situations. All we can do is our best. Blessings and grace to you and yours.

Debra@CommonGround said...

Rebecca, I'm in this same season right now. Hard to know the "why" behind it all, just that I have to trust God, and know that He will get us through.
Hugs,
Debra

Anonymous said...

Dear Rebecca...reading your post today has given me more hope in the past five months than anything else. You always have such faith, even in the darkest moments..you encourage me to keep trusting...it was our beautiful girl's 24th birthday yesterday, preceeded by the five months anniversary on the 16th,and my heart has grieved so much.
I know she is at peace now, but I need to be reminded that God will sustain ME during these days, and you have helped me to see that with your own story, and shared feelings.
God bless you always...you are one of HIS ministers on earth with HIS good news!!
Love, Francy

Winchester Manor said...

Hi Rebecca,

You have no idea how timely this post is for me, thank you for sharing and thank you for your thoughtful and kind comment on my blog!

I really needed to read your post today and I feel renewed in knowing that I have to be satisfied with the things I have and with everything that happens.

Love and blessings to you!
Karyn

Blog Archive