Monday, October 3, 2011

~~~~DON'T TOSS OUT YOUR JUNK JUST YET~~~~ Paint It and Gel It

 
~CREAMY WHITES~
(the softer side of Fall)

Today I'm going to give you a super quick mini tutorial on how I transformed some aging decorative Autumn finds for my La Chaumière de Briarwood.  A couple of weeks ago I had my Mr. AGPMan climb into our bulging attic and pull down ALL my Fall decorations from many years past.  There was a bunch of old stuff up there...
 ~Papier-mâché PUMPKINS~
(once bright orange and green)

Some of it I hadn't actually laid my eyes on since 2004.  Not kidding.  Most of it had been packed away since I first began redecorating in shabby cottage chic style (i.e. PINKS) many years ago...
 ~OLD HARD PLASTIC PEARS~
(once a mottled green)

I just wasn't able to successfully mix oranges and browns with all the pastel pinks and fresh whites no matter how hard I tried...  And, decorating with hand painted pink rose pumpkins (even though I loved making them) just didn't do it for me! :(
 ~ANOTHER PEAR STYLE~
(this one was harvest gold) 

Since my early crazy-hazy, shabby-chic lovin' days my cottage decor style has continued to evolve.
 ~CERAMIC PUMPKINS~
(bright orange with kelly green stems)

Lately I've begun to realize how much I've missed embracing what I've always called "Pumpkin Days" on the inside of my home and so I set forth a little plan to welcome them back.
 ~NEW FOR 2011~
(a sweet tea-light candle holder)

The tea light pumpkin candle holder you see above is my only new Fall related purchase for the year.  Everything else you see I've had for at the very least a decade (or more!)...  The thought of tossing it all out to buy more stuff made me sick...
CACHING!
CACHING!
 ~CERAMIC HORN O' PLENTY~
(once dark brown with orange)

I purchased this traditional Horn O' Plenty back in 1992.  It was a dark chocolate brown painted over a bright orange.  Back then those colors were fab for my home...today, well...not-so-much!
 ~METAL LEAVES~
(once dark burgundy)

These charming little tea-light holders were from a shoppe I once managed.  They were originally burgundy and had black and gold flecks...
Believe it or not A LONG TIME AGO my entire house was black, gold, red and cream...very Tuscan(ie).
 ~ALL TOGETHER NOW~
 (apples, pumpkins, pears, grapes)

Want to know how everything was transformed for pennies?  (OK...a few dollars!)
~VALSPAR SPRAY PAINT~
(a new sprayer style is now out)

1.  Get everything out you want to makeover
2.  Clean it all (plastics, metals or brush-finished ceramics
3.Dry completely
4.  Purchase HOTEL CHURCHILL VANILLA spray paint
(see pic above/found at LOWE'S)
5.  Spray all your junk treasures
(if you value your health, wear gloves and a breathing apparatus)
6.  Let dry between coats and re-coat twice or more
7.  Once cured (a couple of days is best) apply gel stain (see below) with a soft cloth and rub around until it's evenly applied
8.  Allow to dry for two days
(if your stuff touches beforehand it can stick!)
9.  PLAY :)
~MINWAX GEL STAIN~
(aged oak color)

Want to know what I passed along to Goodwill?  All the bright, bright greenery that was popular in the 1990's (and beyond)!!!  Have you noticed that even though you can still buy it the higher priced foliage is more of a sagey green color?

I know I've shared this before but you can use this same technique on lamps, chandys, etc.!

So...before YOU TOSS OUT YOUR OLD STUFF and spend big bucks on BUYING MORE NEW STUFF think about what you already have inside your attics, closets and storage sheds!  I'm thinking you probably already have lots of things just waiting for their turn at a makeover!

I saved my Mr. AGPMan a lot of mullah!  I bought four cans of spray paint and only used two!  About $8 to transform everything!  Not too bad!
~GET IT DONE~

About 3 weeks ago I had my yearly Mammogram done.  I'm so happy to say no cancer was found!  October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month...don't forget to celebrate your one and only self by taking care of YOU!  My friend, Judy the Beauty, is FIVE YEARS cancer free (love you, girl!)...


Have fun...cooler temps are coming so you best get busy painting if you're planning on squeezing it in this year!  I'm enjoying my pumpkin days...hope you are, too!

Love to you...
 

31 comments:

Christmas-etc... said...

Dear Rebecca...
You have such a lovely "magic" to your style... always a joy to visit with you.
(Stop on by... I've highlighted a very special St. Nicholas Church in the Holy Land this week...)
Blessings,
Ann

Pink Princess said...

I have some orange pumpkins, and probably some green ones too...in the attick somewhere. Am planning to paint them too. I don't like the colors they are now and they don't fit my decor either :) I love to decorate with them as long as they are white or off white and pink lol.

Hugs from Marian

Pink Princess said...

OH and congrats on the outcome of your mammogram!! I had my first mammogram just before I went to Thailand and results were good too PTL!!

Anonymous said...

Love all the beauty you create!!
I am celebrating October Breast Cancer Month too!! One year cancer free for me!! WOO HOO!!
Marilyn

Anneke said...

these autumm decorations are gorgeous and the color is fantastic.
lovely photo,s from you to see and how nice is everything decorated.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Thanks for the great ideas Rebecca.
I'm very glad to hear that your mammogram turned out well.

hugs
Sissie

Yasmin Smith said...

Good morning...and it is 43 degrees at 6 AM here in my hometown!
Perfect weather for your pumpkin tutoral..thanks so much for sharing
your "how-to" with old harvest decorations! I found aplenty of the stuff in my attic on a venture there over the weekend.
Now, I don't have a whit of your talent, but I think, with your easy instructions, even I can change the ghoulish oranges, blacks
and greens to a soft white, too. I cannot use the traditional colors of fall or Halloween in my pastel home either, so you have saved me some $$$$,too!! Now I can enjoy the season but not the off-colors!
I have some pink painted and floral pumpkins from a few past seasons, but they just don't appeal
to me this fall either...think I'll
change to the off-white, too!
Thanks for all of your "shares", Rebecca....you are so generous with
your know-hows and help.
Hope you have a lovely, fall, cool
week.....Hugs, Francy

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Rebecca ~ those are so pretty! I love that color so I am thinking I need to go get some :)
Have a blessed week!

xoxo
Lori

Lisa & Gerald said...

Good morning my sweet friend...I so love your style.....It's so beautiful.....I love the way everything turned out....So beautiful..Big hugs from Canada....xoxoxoxox

Brenda ~ The Heminger Farmhouse said...

Your pumpkins look fab!!!! I HAVE GOT to get me some of that spray paint!!! Have a great week sweet friend!!

Warmest hugs, Brenda

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Rebecca,
Happy Birthday to your sweet Mom! You are so lucky to still have her....

I love how you repurposed all of these pretty items!!
Stunning as usual!

hugs,
Debbie

Jan M said...

I love the transformations! Enjoy these days in your charming pumpkin patch!

Theresa said...

You inspire me sweet Rebecca:) I am gonna get all of my good junk out of the attic and snag me some of that paint:) Have a blessed day my friend, HUGS!

Unknown said...

You go girl..you know what they call or now term what you did? Upcycling...or back in our day..lol recycling. Its always so amazing what a little spray paint can transform huh? Love the gel idea, it gives a wonderful aged patina! You are always thinking gf!!!!
Be blessed,
lorena

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I have a few pumpkins that could use a makeover...I have heard several people saying they have sprayed them!!

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,

You cleverly redid those old things and made them look very nice. Great tutorial too!
Enjoy your week and love to you,

Mariette

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Those are great ideas for old tired Fall decor! It sure makes them fresh and new again! I will have to dig my own out and see what I can do to reinvent them. Happy, Happy news on the mammo! ~Hugs, Patti

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

I LOVE your transformations! So Beautiful! Thanks for the tips!

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Hello sweet Rebecca! Congrats on your mammogram. Good girl! Now, I have to go get mine too. Love your pretty decrations. You always amaze me with your creativity! I decorate with oranges outside, but not much inside. I am a pink loving girl too. I did decoupage a pumpkin with pretty scrap paper, but this is so much easier. thanks sweetie for the tutorial!

Hugs,
Debbie xo

Kim B said...

Love the redo. Thats so true about the greenery and I had not even thought about that. Glad your mammo was great. Have a great day. Hugs, Kim

Linda said...

These items are lovely and will fit right in with your soft colors!

Happy Autumn!

Heaven's Walk said...

I painted my pumpkins white this year, too, Rebecca. I don't do the orange thing for autumn, nor the red/green thing for Christmas. It all has to be whites, greys, creams, and dark brown. Gotta love that spray paint- and I'm so glad they're making so many new colors! :)

xoxo laurie

Betsy said...

Great idea and will have to get a can of that paint, love the color.
In the mood for decorating now.
So happy you have good report on your mammogram. Betsy

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Everything looks fabulous with a coat of white paint. congratulations to you and your friend!

Carol

NanaDiana said...

How beautiful for your home-it is perfect. I love how you remade them all to fit how you live right now..that you didn't just dump them because they were not what you wanted.

At my house, because of the little faces in and out the door, we still do the traditional Fall colors....they love their pumpkins and gourds....and I love them...so orange it is!;>) xo Diana

Maria said...

Hi Rebecca!
I woke up and can't fall back to sleep and so, I'm visiting here a bit with my chamomile tea "and thee."

I love your pumpkin and other 'kins makeover! I tried spray paint this summer on old folding chairs. It was easy and fun...and what a renewal!

I love your idea with the gel stain. It makes everything look so pretty and vintage!

So happy about your mammogram. I really need to get mine done. My practitioner moved away and I haven't found one to replace her. She had the best advice and bedside manner. I will call the one my daughter recommended ... it's time!!!

Your post about your mom was very sweet! You are so fortunate to still have her near ♥

Wishing you a wonderful week.
~Maria

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

i loved all your photos and your post. xo nita <3

Linda Carole Bloom said...

Oh DEAR! I gave all my orange and green ugly stuff to the salvation army!!!!!!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

You sound wonderful! A healthy glow is back in your little cheeks? Good!
I've made my list! I get some of the best idea's from you..however..when I can..I would rather buy your creations!

Mari said...

Hello Rebecca~I just love how you recycled what you already had :) it turn out sooooo beautiful :) and have inspired me to paint some of my items in storage :) thanks for the great ideas :)


Have a wonderful day :)
xo~Mari

Jacoba said...

Good to see you are back on the scene and in good health.
It is amazing what we can do to give things a second chance and how you can do a makeover with just a little touch of paint here and there.
Happy weekend!
Jacoba

Blog Archive