Sunday, October 16, 2011

~~~~THOUGHTS ON A SUNDAY MORNING~~~~ The Miracle of Silver Certificates

During my last two years in high school my preacher-man father was employed at a well known college in Colorado Springs.  As a collector and lover of old books both students and professors were always gifting him with things to read.  My dad lugged more dusty books home than I can tell you.  His office was filled to overflowing and his extensive library easily rivaled many a theologian.
 Just after I graduated from high school in 1976 my father was called to pastor a church in a small West Texas town.  Although the church was paying our moving expenses the money provided by the local congregation fell short of what was actually needed.

A lot short.

My dad's faith was and is amazing.  I remember him having serious financial concerns but he never once allowed negative thoughts to enter his mind about making the move.  When questioned about the details or asked about our family's future my father's answer was always the same...
 God called.  God will provide.  Let's pray.

And so he rented a big truck and we began to pack for a move to the Lone Star State.

Late one evening as were about to call it quits for the night a young neighbor boy who was helping fill boxes called out from inside our garage for my father to come.  As my dad exited the back of the truck he looked up as the boy began to speak.
"Mr. Elliott!  Mr. Elliott!  What do you and Mrs. Elliott want me to do with all this money?"

Standing silent and more than a bit overwhelmed, my dad simply said...

"What money, son?"

The boy's reply was high pitched and a bit frantic... 

"All the money falling out of these old books!"

With that hundreds of captive dollars were freed from their hiding place.
My Father and I - 1976

I don't remember exactly how much money was found that day, but it was more than enough for our family to move to Texas without worry...

Apparently upon the death of a very old professor several volumes of his aging books were gifted to my father by his children.  It is believed either the professor or his wife hid cash inside the books for safe keeping and then eventually forgot about it. The books were filled with Silver Certificate one dollar bills as well as fives, tens and twenties.

I've always believed if my father had been a man of wealth he would have loved sharing his fortune with his children.  Instead of millions he gifted each of us with a handful of 1957 Silver Certificate One Dollar Bills and a single 1963 Five Dollar Lincoln.

I'm not sure how I managed to save those bills all these years but I have.  Many, many times, especially early in my marriage, my Mr. AGPMan and I could have used those eight little bucks for some cheese, a loaf of bread or a piece of chicken...

Instead I vowed to keep the money as a simple reminder of God's goodness in my life.
He's been faithful...more than faithful.

"My God will use his wonderful riches in Christ Jesus to give you everything you need."
Philippians 4:19

Blessings for an awesome day in His mighty presence...

21 comments:

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Rebecca ~ that is such a wonderful story of how God provides for us sometimes in the most unlikely ways ~
Thank you for sharing it with us!

xoxo
Lori

The Old Cupboard Door said...

A beautiful post and reminder of God's faithfulness to His children. God still provides manna..what we need, when we need.

Thanks for stopping by my place. It was a delight to see you.

~willa~

Julie Marie said...

What a beautiful story Rebecca... thank you for sharing this Sunday morn... I know God had a hand in this... as He does with all things... how wonderful you still have those silver certificates... I have only one that my daddy gave to me as a child, a dollar bill...he told me to keep it always, and I have... I treasure it also... love to you, xoxo Julie Marie

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! What a wonderful memory!
I love your blog and your shop.

Stitches said...

What an inspirational story especially for this Sunday morning, now I best get ready for church. Thanks for the up lifting.

GoldenAngelsWorks said...

Always wonderful to hear stories about how God provides for those who believe.

Anonymous said...

I can not tell you how many times fear replaced faith only to have fear replaced BY FAITH. We have had some very serious struggles but in the end the Lord hath provided what he knew we needed & once in a while, a bit more for safe keeping.

Matthew 6:31-32
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

Your story is so touching. I wonder, suggest, with your painting talent if you couldn't do a shadow box of some sort and display these bills with this story. Seems a perfect example to share others, always!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What an inspirational story, Becky! Loved every word and love you, too. Thanks for sharing your heart and your dads with us, both your earthly and your heavenly fathers.

XO,

Sheila

Angie said...

Rebecca, what a sweet post! Your father was such a special person to give you so many loving memories. Thanks for sharing one.

Wishing you a wonderful week,

Angie

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for your thoughts this week. Things are particularly financially tight for me and my children right now. I have been praying that God will get us through. Thanks to your thoughts and the verse you shared today, I know he is listening to my prayers and we will be fine. Thank you again for sharing your story and thoughts!

Sandi said...

I love stories that shows how God provides for each and every need we have. It may not be the way we would do it, but His way is always best and perfect!! Happy Sunday!!

Hugs~

Theresa said...

What a sweet story of God's blessings! We just have to believe:) Your Dad knew that God had the plan ALL mapped out! He knew that somehow the trip would be covered! Blessings all around us, we just have to open our eyes and our hearts! HUGS!

Deanna said...

Absolutely precious!
THANK YOU for sharing this story. I let a laugh out when the money was mentioned. Soooooo neat!

Neat post. Manna in the books.

Rebecca, I enjoy hearing form you and visiting your beautiful blog.

The Lord calls and He provides. AMEN.

I enjoy reading the faith stories....there are real people out there in blogland that enjoy all that you share.

God bless you real good.
d

Linda Breedlove said...

Thank you for the lovely post, Rebecca. God is good... all the time. All the time... God is good!
Hugs!!!

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,

Just an amazing story! Good for you for saving those special bills over the years. It will always remind you of your Dad in a very special way.

Love to you,

Mariette

Linda said...

I love this story Rebecca...and yes...God will always provide!
I know that from how He has always provided for me!

Love, Linda

FOUR ALL SEASONS said...

What a wonderful story, it brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing and God bless!

NanaDiana said...

God is good...all the time! It is amazing that just when things look the most bleak there is a ray of sunshine that brings much more than we ever imagined. Blessings- xo Diana

Dolores said...

Ahhhh, such a sweet story !!!!!! The picture of you and your dad is priceless. A wonderful memory you're blessed with.....
Hugs,

Rebecca said...

and the blessing goes on and on and on... He multiplies, that is what He does. You have blessed many with your post today, thank you for your inspiration and love. Thank you Lord for your provision and for Rebecca, her sweet spirit that blesses us.
Have a wonderful week
RE

Unknown said...

Awe, such a beautiful reminder of your blessed dad. Silver certificates like pennies falling from heaven. That's exactly how God shows his blessings to the faithful.

OX's Rebecca....Tracy

Blog Archive