Saturday, January 21, 2012

~THE BLESSING OF A POTTERY BARN SOFA~

~BILLOWS of SOFT WHITE~

Yesterday I shared with you how for the past few months I've been on the lookout for a great deal on a slip-covered sofa.  I've visited our local Pottery Barn store more times than I can tell you just dreaming about owning the natural white sofa displayed on their showroom floor.

I loved that sofa.

I more than loved it.

I would run my fingers across the soft nap of the twill fabric and try to envision what it would look like living inside my La Chaumière de Briarwood.  Once in awhile I'd look at other sofas...a similar one at JCPenney appeared to be a good substitute, but the reviews I read regarding the fabric and cushion performance fell flat and that discouraged me.  Eventually I'd move onto the other things needing attention in my home, but ultimately my heart would always return to that $2,500 sofa and how owning it was probably never going to happen.

Oh...I could have saved for it.  That wasn't the problem.  For me the sofa was just too expensive and that kept me from laying down my hard-earned cash. Being a somewhat older wiser woman I did spend some serious time scanning the classifieds in hopes of finding one, but I always came away empty handed and disappointed.
~ACCENTED WITH FEATHER PILLOWS~

Last Wednesday while chatting with my Mr. AGPMan I happened to click onto Craig's List (which honestly I rarely do!) for a tiny little peek at FURNITURE.  When my hubby needed to put me on HOLD for a minute my fingers (all on their own) :) typed the following into the search bar:

POTTERY BARN SOFA

Incredibly this AD came up:

Beautiful Pottery Barn PB Basic slip-covered sofa 83w x 35d x 35"h. Natural colored 100% cotton brushed canvas slipcovers are machine washable. Hardwood kiln-dried frame. Originally paid $2,500 approx. one year ago. Asking $850/OBO. Taken great care of and maintained well, not exposed to pets or smoke, no stains. Very comfortable and beautiful. Unable to find this type of sofa in Oklahoma unless special ordered, which can take months. Will deliver for additional $50 in OKC metro. Will email more pictures if interested.

Now...I know that some of you will think me totally silly and quite possibly nuts, but I knew right then and there that sofa was meant for me and that we would be bringing it home.  I shared the AD with my guy (probably sounded a wee bit incoherent to him), got off the phone, emailed the seller and then jumped for joy!  I heard back on Thursday afternoon and on Friday night my Mr. AGPMan and I hopped into his Truck and drove out to their house to haul my new-old sofa home.

(The sellers have a beautiful home...very sweet family!)
 ~ADVERTISEMENT PHOTO~

After a quick wash and dry I replaced all the covers back onto the sofa and sat down to rest...  It was then this thought washed over me...
~IN THE LIGHT~

Just as God is faithful to all His children He is also faithful to me.  This morning I'm grateful His faithfulness has never depended on receiving mine in return.  I'm so very human and mess up more times than I can tell you.  I get fixated on unimportant stuff and often fail to remember I serve a God who cares about the little things in my life as well as the big.  For so long I'd prayed a wee little prayer for something material...an earthly possession that in the grand scheme of things was destined to hold no eternal value.  But when I prayed He still listened to me just the same.  And just as He's promised to give me everything I need (Philippians 4:19) I can't help but rejoice because more times than I can count He's also blessed me with things I've wanted.

(Thank you, God, for the sofa!  But mostly...just for caring!)

"Pray and ask God for everything you need, always giving thanks."  (Philippians 4:6) 
~ETTA JAMES~

PS:  Thinking today of Miss Etta James (AT LAST You're In Heaven!)
Jamesetta Hawkins - January 25, 1938 – January 20, 2012)

Love to you...

28 comments:

EllenaElizabeth said...

What a great story, I think we have all had similar experiences. And when we find that particular something in good condition and for a more palatable price we know it's just meant for us...LOl But seriously this has happened to me a few times so I know what you mean. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading.

Sonya Badgley said...

Hello dear Rebecca,
That is so wonderful! Oh God is SO good, isn't He? I just love Him. And not just because He got you your sofa! lol! He's faithful and...perfect. I love your sofa!
So happy for you!
Hugs and love,
Sonya

Donna said...

The sofa was meant to be! You were supposed to have "that" sofa and it is gorgeous!
My daughter has the chairs that match it and they sit so well! Hers are white as well and the slipcovers wash wonderfully. She had a friend that worked at PB and got them 40% off for her. She didn't pay full price either!
Every time you sit on the sofa you will I am sure be reminded of how good God is!!
Hugs,
Donna

Mouse said...

heheh well he was definitely listening to you ... sooo glad you got it and for a good price as well :) love mouse xxxxx

Dolores said...

Woopeee, I'm so happy for you. It almost sounds like a miraclle. What are the chances of finding what you want in your town on Craig's list. Congratulations!

Jill said...

I am so happy for you! The sofa is just gorgeous! What an important message is has served for us all.

NanaDiana said...

God certainly has smiled on you, Rebecca. We don't have a Pottery Barn anywhere close to us..but oh my! I have heard about their wonderful sofas! I am so glad that you were able to get one and that you LOVE IT! It is hard to be patient sometimes, isn't it? Love to you-We are out of here for the weekend- I hope you have a wonderful one! xo Diana

Susan said...

Rebecca, I am so happy for you!! We do serve a good and glorious God!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Your story boosts my faith! Happy couching! :)

Melissa/Piney Rose said...

WHAAAAAAT?!! Get out! I love this sofa. And I love this post, Rebecca. Thank you for this reminder of how good God is to us. He will supply ALL of our needs, and some of our wants. He delights in it! Love to you....

Theresa said...

Beautiful sofa, I knew you would come home with it:) Have a blessed day, HUGS!

Yasmin Smith said...

Sooooo thrilled for you that you loved the sofa and it is now residing in your living room (den?)
It really is YOU and I am sure it will bring you many years of pleasure....to be able to finally aquire something your heart is set on is a happy moment, and sometimes
things are just meant to be!! That
seems the situtation here!!
I liked the white pillows you had in the pics of the sofa last night, but I am sure you are going to give them a special
Rebecca" signature touch soon! And
perhaps a simple, soft throw along
with the pillows!!?? Be sure to show us the re-arranged and new look soon. You know, your followers
seem to get as excited for you as you yourself are!!!
Hope you have a fun-filled weekend
And a happy week ahead....
Love you, Francy

Just Me said...

Oh Rebecca! It's lovely! I've had the same thing happen to me with Father. Isn't He wonderful? It never fails to amaze me that He fulfills our "little" requests as much as the big ones.

Not that life is easy and sometimes, Papa says "No." for a reason.

But I am SO happy for you! Thanks for sharing our Father's Faithfulness!

Hugs!

Unknown said...

Rebecca, I am a very loyal follower but seldom have the time to comment but I am so moved today because I love your sofa, but more importantly, I love that you know that blessing came from God. Last year my transmission on my car started acting up and my children and grandchildren live 3 hours away. That made it unsafe for me to travel in that car. I have never prayed for material things but I did pray for a better car so I could travel and see my family. At the same time my daughter prayed for a better car that would carry her entire family to see me. I prayed for that too. So in December, just before Christmas, my Mr. Graceful Rose man said it's time to look for you a car and after an exhaustive search found the right car. One week before, my daughter was able to get her a car like we had prayed for. Nothing made my heart happier and so mindful of God's blessings than seeing these two new cars parked in the driveway at Christmas time, one behind the other and my daughter and I arm in arm praising the Lord for his bountfiul goodness. Have a wonderful day!

Unknown said...

Love your story. God is so good and He is interested in the things in which we are interested. That always blows my mind!

Linda said...

Thanks so much sweet friend for posting this...The Lord is so very good to us! I am so happy that God blessed you with your wonderful sofa! Yup...Happy, Happy, Happy...and rejoicing with you! I am crying right now because of our Lord's amazing love for us...each of us!

You are a blessing to so many of us as you share the beauty found in loving Jesus...and the beauty of letting Him love us back!

Love, Linda

Your Craft Book said...

Dear Rebecca, I love you sofa and I too love Pottery Barn. What a great buy and it was meant to be, enjoy with all of your heart.

I love the song 'At Last' you cannot beat the old torch ballads. Etts James is now truly at home at last, Amen, Maureen.

Ann said...

Yes, God is truly amazing at answering prayers. I could list hundreds of examples where prayers were answered and left me stunned by how great the blessings were and continue. In my experience, "The miracle of God is seen at every sunrise". Enjoy your lovely sofa!

Blondie's Journal said...

I am so happy for you! It is beautiful!!

XO,
Jane

FredaB said...

Congratulations Rebecca on finding just the one you wanted. It looks beautiful.

My daughter has furnished half her house from Craig's List.

Hugs

FredaB

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I am so glad you got your long awaited sofa! That is what my friend calls a God thing....he knew that sofa was yours!!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Very pretty Rebecca! You never know what you'll find on Craigs list.

hugs
Sissie

Brenda ~ The Heminger Farmhouse said...

LOVE your new/old sofa Rebecca! How wonderful to have found it ~ I think I need to do a little searching on Craig's List, lol :) Hope you are having a wonderful weekend ~ I got to spend some time today with my sweet gbaby today :)

Warmest hugs, Brenda

fannipauline said...

Thanks for the tribute to Etta James and I love hearing her delightful song. It made my day,

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Unbelievable find!! YOu are so mysterious, so now we will never know how great a deal you got LOL! It is fabulous....I don't believe in coincidences I believe the Lord works in mysterious, only sometimes not so mysterious, ways!

Carol

Linda Carole Bloom said...

Oooo, I bet it looks wonderful in your cottage! When I moved I sold a lot of stuff on Craig's list and met some wonderful people!

Mosaic Magpie said...

Yes, indeed the Lord does provide for us. It was meant to be.
Deb
Like the music choice.

~CC Catherine said...

Enjoyable post Rebecca on the faithfulness of God to us, even in the small things...the desires of our heart. The new sofa looks great, and really looks brand new! I love this cottage style look of sofa...comfy and romantic!

I'm going to the GA Craig's List now - you've peeked my curiosity!

Hugs,
~CC Catherine

PS: Thanks for your tribute to Etta James, AMEN!!!

Blog Archive