Saturday, January 28, 2012

~~~EASY TIPS ON PAINTING LETTERED SIGNS~~~ (and a Crochet Lace Pocket Pillow, too!)

~MAKING A SIGN FROM AN OLD LACE LABEL~

Even before learning how to manipulate images using computer altering software I found myself drawn to all types of vintage sewing ephemera (something transitory or short-lived/a class of collectible items not originally intended to last for more than a short time, such as tickets, posters, postcards, labels, etc.).
~SCANNED LABEL ENLARGED~

I'm especially fond of the paper wrappings once commonly found in old millinery shoppes where spools of ribbon, thread and lace could be purchased for a dressmaker's stitching needs... 
 ~GREAT FRAMED SIGN~

This week I'm going to be working on another painted project that will include reproducing parts of an old lace label onto a wooden sign.  Once a country style checkerboard painted out in country blue, I found the great wooden piece you see above at a tag sale sometime back for a couple of bucks (not much need for such a thing these days)!  Anyway, I primed it (ZINSSER) several weeks ago and last Wednesday applied the final base coat (cottage white) before shabbying up the edges.  I've painted the FANCY LABEL graphic before and always love how the old design comes out...
 ~SIGN FROM A FEW YEARS BACK~

 Transferring old labels onto signage and such isn't hard to do.  It isn't!!!  There are several ways to get great results, the easiest and fastest being done with a copier.  I enlarged the FANCY LABEL to my desired size and then used graphite paper taped to it's back before tracing around the lettering and/or artwork that's been taped to the sign.  I use the gray colored paper because the black is just too dark for my favorite lettering paint.  You can also rub a pencil over the back of your copier image instead of using the graphite paper, but I've never been happy with the results.  My mother used this technique for years and  I still use it in a pinch...it's just not my favorite!
~ANOTHER USING THE SAME IMAGE~

After you've traced around your lettering and/or image you can begin painting.  I paint primarily in acrylics and using the best brushes your budget can afford is a must.  I favor shaders and liners, but filberts work well, too!  I kind of look at painting lettering like coloring a design out of a color-book.  Just try and be neat and stay inside the lines!!!
Go slow....practice makes perfect you better! :) 
(Lovin' that old crochet lace)

Yesterday I shared with you a little sneak peek at a new vintage lace pillow for my A Gathering Place website.  I haven't been on it much since Christmas because I've been busy making over THREE Train Cases and they have taken most of my focus (and our house redo projects)!  Now that I'm caught up I'll be back to my regular work soon! :)  The pillow will be uploaded later today sometime, and a couple of her friends, too!

By the time you read this I'll probably be out and about junkin' and slummin' with my favorite guy!  Hope to have lots of fun things to share with you this week!

Have a GREAT SATURDAY!

Love to you...

19 comments:

Bluebell said...

I absolutely love the signs, you have made such a beautiful job of them they would grace anyone's home. Looking forward to seeing the pillows.
Jill

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Rebecca, dear friend, I honestly believe there is nothing you cannot do..and do it perfectly. NOT well, but perfectly! As easy as you say things are to do..I will opt to buy some gorgeous thing from you instead. My hand painted lamp is carried lovingly from our little guest room, to the dining room table every morning when it is still too dark to read. (He need a good direct light) and I always smile at him and say "careful..." and he always says "I am.."
Sending you a big hug!
Mona

Theresa said...

Beautiful AS ALWAYS:) I love the pillow, great work! You are so talented dear Rebecca! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

Unknown said...

Your converted sign is so sweet. Thanks for the tutorial!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Rebecca,
You have been a very busy girl. I just love your signs, but I'll leave the making to you! I'm not that talented.
Love the sweet pillow also. You are on a roll.

hugs
Sissie

Jill said...

I am in total awe of your talents! Your projects are stunning!

NanaDiana said...

I hope you have a wonderful day out and about looking for bargains with your guy!

That sign is just beautiful. You do such a wonderful job...it will be fun to see the new sign come to life. Your pillow is lovely, too!

Happy Saturday! xo Diana

Anonymous said...

G'morning R. I'm with the roosters today for some reason. Your sign is gorgeous and the pillow and even more so. Love the look of the blog. It's very clean & serene. Nicely done. Hugs. T

Stella said...

Really like the signs. I an good at freehand so may give your directions a try to see how I do. Thanks for sharing.

Anne said...

I love your signs.That you for the tips.I may have to try that.Have fun junkin.It is too cold today here to go out.

Yasmin Smith said...

Well, good morning, Rebecca dear...you must already be "out and about" with your guy, gone "junkin and slummin"!!! It's 8:50 AM here so I know you probably follow the old saying "the early bird gets the worm"!! In this case, the GOOD stuff!!! I hope you have a successful hunt and I know just being with your Mr.AGPMan is the most fun!!
I love what you did to the sign. The pink roses one was lovely but the newly painted one with the soft
creamy whites is gorgeous! I like the new direction you have taken, toning down the pinks for more of the creams and whites...great new look!!
Can't wait to see the description of the pillow and her sisters. The "peek" look really beautiful..
I love the old laces and trims, too
Have a happy week and enjoy today!
Big hugs and love...Francy

stefanie said...

just beautiful!!! you two sweeties have fun!!!!

Mari said...

Rebecca, you know how I love your work and these signs are simply gorgeous, another item to add to my wish list, haha.....

Wishing you a happy weekend....
Hugs~
Mari

Julie Marie said...

Love your beautiful signs, as you already know!... and the pocket pillow is sooo sweet!... hope you are having a good time junkin'... xoxo Julie Marie

Victorian1885 said...

I love the new Look! Have a great weekend my Friend!

Hugs,
Wanda

Your Craft Book said...

Rebecca, Your 'Fancy Edging' is so beautiful and I love the soft muted colors. What a lovely way to use this image, blessings, Maureen

The Polka Dot Closet said...

The sign is adorable!!! Thank you for all the tips! Happy junking!

Carol

Jeannie B. said...

Love this of course! I have been trying to go to your shop more to see what you have.

Gypsea Nurse said...

This is a must once I get really settled! Because I think it may take me days and days to get semi perfect!
Beautifully done!!!
Smiles~
C

Blog Archive