Monday, January 16, 2012

~~~MORE EXCITING HOME REMODELING~~~ Gone Gone! The Wall is Gone

~DINING ROOM SIDE~

On Saturday my Mr. AGPMan continued working on the removal of the common wall that separated our den from our dining room.  By evening's end he had it torn down to the studs!  Watching the wall come tumbling down after living in our La Chaumière de Briarwood for nearly twenty years felt a bit strange.  I can already feel the difference in our home...  Opening up the wall gives our home a warmer more inviting look and feel.  Less confined I suppose!  And, for the first time we can enjoy the north sun in our family room!
 ~HALF WAY OFF~
(Dining Room Side As Well)

Once the sheet-rock was removed on the dining room side temporary supports were installed and the Studs taken out!
~FAMILY ROOM SIDE~

More tedious to me than it looks I guess.  The biggest mess was taking the sheet-rock off on the other side!
 ~ALL OPENED UP~

Here's a view of both rooms after all the sheet-rock was removed!
~CEILING SUPPORTS~

Here's a shot of the wall supports...
~DOORWAY VIEW~

This is what I'll be living with for a few days!!!  It's not too big a mess, but I must admit I'll be very happy when the support studs are removed and the doorway is framed out.  We aren't sure about hanging French Doors yet...  Even if we do decide to include them they won't go in until after the new wood floors are down!
~A LITTLE BIG SNAG~

Do you see what the arrow is pointing to?  It was HIDING IN THE WALL!  And now it's in the way!
Can you figure out what it is?

Huh?  Huh?  Huh?
~WATER PIPES TO NOWHERE~

Here's a better shot!  My guy has no idea WHY this capped off trio of water pipes was in the wall.  He even called my brother who owns his own plumbing company in California and asked him about it!  The consensus is something was mis-plumbed when the house was built.  The concrete will have to be cut out around the pipes and the pipes cut off and capped below the floor.  

It's always something, isn't it?

And there you have it!  Another big job ALMOST DONE!

Now...something entirely different!
~YOUR CRAFT BOOK GIVEAWAY~

One of my dearest longtime blogger and eBay friends is having an amazing giveaway!!!  Miss M is offering one of her Spun Cotton Paper Doll Tutorials from her Etsy Shop,YOUR CRAFT BOOK.  Incredibly talented and gifted her work beats all I've ever seen!  I hope you'll mosey on over to her brand new place and check out what she's up to!!!  Your going to LOVE what you see!

Click onto the picture above or on the link below: 

Hope your Monday is awesome!  I'll be sharing with you later this week what I found while out junkin' with my hubster!

Love to you...

18 comments:

Miss Jean said...

It's going to look wonderful. I laughed when I saw the pipes and it really was a light bulb moment for me. While visiting my son in Denver, I could tell there was "something" under the carpet because you could actually feel a "bump" in the carpet. Something was under there. I went down in the basement to investigate but couldn't tell what pipes were going where in the ceiling and it is near the furnace. If he ever takes up the carpet it will probably be the same sort of thing. Pipes sticking up so they formed a wood cover over it and then carpeted over that. Sheesh!

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Rebecca,

There will be always something to uncover when doing it yourself. Where others have hidden their mishaps, we unearth them and have to waste precious time in getting rid of them the proper way.
Glad you got the lion-share of this job taken part of.
Have a great week.
Love to you,

Mariette

Mouse said...

oooowhat a difference it makes .... looks lovely and I think french doors will be fab as you can open them up or keep them closed if you want to keep the heat in, in winter ... and your house is just like the mouse house ... something is always where it shouldn't be my DH hates it when I start to do some DIY ... good job don't do much of it now ...lol love mouse xxxxx

EllenaElizabeth said...

It's coming along nicely, loving be able to see the progress.

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh Rebecca, how awful to find that in the walls! Know you'll get it knocked out soon, but what a headache! Will head over and see your friend!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

That is very weird to find water pipes to no where! It probably was the last thing your husband expected to find between the walls. It's going to look fantastic though and I would imagine make it feel like a whole new home. Can't wait to see the final outcome!~Hugs, Patti

Cynthia Patterson said...

How nice to have such a handy dandy man......it is going to look awesome when all is said and done....great job Mr. AGP man (although every time I see AGP my mind reads Agape....LOL)
Be blessed,
Cindy♥

Jill said...

I just marvel at what your DH can accomplish on his own. I can't wait to see it all completed.

I will go check out the blog you mentioned. Thank you.

Theresa said...

Your Husband should be called SUPER-HUBBY! I can't wait to see it ALL finished but for him to know how to do ALL of that... AMAZING! Enjoy your new room! HUGS!

Hena Tayeb said...

Looking good. It really opens the place up

Marilyn said...

The pipes in the floor must be someone else's bad idea. It sure doesn't fit in with your husband's style of work, which seems to be perfection. Good luck.♥♫

Anonymous said...

Though I've not posted as much as of late, I promise you I have followed along with every post you've written. The excitement has built with this wall and to see down to the support studs and ugly pipes... how very exciting. I love doing this type of home remodel. I truly do. I love the unknown, the imagined and the result. Everything about it makes my heart sing. My hubs on the other hand.. not so much. He'd rather compliment me, support me with the muscle when needed and do the store runs for supplies. Come to think of it, we make a great team. :) I love how warm the pass through is making your rooms feel. I've always thought of walls as barriers not privacy. I much prefer a house which is open to all the activities around. Privacy=bedroom or bathroom in my mind. I'm loving this already MsR and GREAT JOB MRAGPMAN!! Hugs. T

Yasmin Smith said...

WOW!!! Your MrAGPMan really did accomplish a LOT over the weekend.
I am enjoying the work in progress,
and so happy you are posting pictures of the job as it comes along so we can share it with you.
I love the open space taking down that wall creates, and you are going to love it for a more roomy look and feel. The way you decorate with a continous flow of similiar colors and objects will really be beautiful in the opened up space..you two amaze me with your ideas and MrAGPMan's knowledge
of how to do all of these DIY ideas
He is one smart, talented, and hard
working guy!!!!
DON'T LET GO OF HIM!
I will be waiting daily for more up-dates on the project, and of course, the pictures to go along with it.....enjoy the week and the thrill of getting such a gorgeous new living space!!
Love and hugs....Francy

NanaDiana said...

I can see right through to how beautiful it is going to look when it is done. UGH- I hate those problems that pop up and halt progress. It IS always something, isn't it? Patience, my dear, patience! xo Diana

Linda said...

Even though your husband ran into a little snag, (water pipes to nowhere)...he is saving a bundle by doing the work himself. It will just take a little more time and patience! It will be so lovely when he is all done. Like a whole new place. I am excited for you Rebecca.

Love, Linda

Mari said...

OH wow Rebecca, its going to be just gorgeous :) its always something with these houses.....ekkkkk!!!!

Can't wait to see it completed :)

xo~Mari

Jen said...

A lot done is a short time. You're right always something...

Can't wait to see what you found on the weekend!

Jeannette

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Hmm, you just never know what's behind your walls.
We weren't in our house that we live in now too long when daughter #2 that was still living at home had a shower incident. She leaned against the outside wall of the ensuite shower that was ceramic tiles and fell through. Yup, the proper waterproof drywall was not used and the cheap stuff rotted so didn't take much to crumble. I guess the tiles were practically suspended in thin air.
We've found other issues since and wonder how this house ever passed the building inspection. Guess you may be wondering the same thing about yours.
Hope the dust doesn't get you down. :-)
Judith

Blog Archive