Friday, January 20, 2012

~~~~~~~A SOFA TO DREAM ABOUT~~~~~~~ Shabby Cottage Chic Furniture Makes Me Swoon

SIMPLE and UNCOMPLICATED
(A Slip-Covered Beauty)

FIRST...WHAT IS UP WITH BLOGGER???  I'VE TRIED TO COMMENT ON TEN DIFFERENT BLOGS ALREADY TODAY AND NONE WILL ACCEPT COMMENTS!  BAH!
ALWAYS SOMETHING!
(I'm sorry if you are having the same problemo here!)

Over the past few months I've been on a QUIET search for a new sofa.  I say quiet because no one knew I was looking for one except my daughter, Adrienne.  When you have what seems like a ba-jillion projects going on, which quite frankly is normal around here, the last thing a girl wants to do is divulge all her secret intents.  I've learned over the years of my happy marriage that my guy just doesn't need unnecessary junk, alotta non-critical information, aka: stuff, bouncing around in his head.

It's one of the reasons my marriage IS happy! :)
~SHHHHHH......~

"Mums the Word!"

Besides...if I told him the sofa I was longing for was $2,500 he would have surely passed over to heaven right then and there.  I'm positive he wouldn't even have taken the time to tell me what I know he was thinking...

"REBECCA!  YOU ARE NUTS!"

Such sweet (and costly) expenditures are not within my Mr. AGPMan's budget or mine I'm afraid.  Besides, he would be right about me being NUTS!
(Gag...did I say that?)...
Spending that kind of money when it's not at your disposal is pure insanity!

I've lived with a berry colored couch for over a decade now.  I purchased it for a song at a Dallas auction and it sat unused for eight of those years in our formal living room.  A couple of years ago that very room was transformed into our formal dining room and the sofa was moved into our den.  The one we were using (which was the black floral one shown in Romantic Homes Magazine in 2006) was sold and I was happy to see it GO!  Because the sofa from the formal living was like new I just couldn't get rid of it.  As much as my tastes were changing I opted to live with it until I felt more comfortable about replacing it!

Well...with the door to our formal dining room being opened up and new wood floors on the horizon I started looking again for a slip-covered sofa that would fit into our new creamy white space...  Well...I think I found one locally and it is spot on!  No kidding!  The very one I've been hoping to find...and for a third of the retail price!  My Mr. AGPMan and I are going to buy it look at it tonight at 6PM!

Right now I'm hoping it all works out.  If it does I'll share pictures tomorrow.  If it doesn't I'll be sad but I'll keep looking!

The icing on the cake for me is that my AdrieGirl wants my berry colored sofa for her home.  I'm happy to pass it along to her as her home has a distinct Tuscan feeling and it will look lovely there.
~FOR SWEET M~

I'm busy with THREE TRAIN CASE MAKEOVERS!  One is done!  The second one is almost done!  The third one is about a third done!  Whew!  I only thought January was going to be slow!

Hope your day is wonderful!  For some reason I'm in the best
YIPPY-SKIPPY MOOD!

Love to you...

23 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

I am SO happy happy for you, Rebecca. I identify with you so much as I was on a wild ride looking for the perfect slip covered sofa as well! I sincerely hope this is the perfect one for you! They are so expensive now, it's not an easy job to find one that is quality and fits the budget.

I can't wait to see your train cases!

XO,
Jane

Allie said...

Your sofa tale is a good one. My small children have been working on wearing out mine, and it will be awhile before I can replace it. Hopefully, it will hold up for a few more years at least. Glad to hear that you are busy creating. Your work is truly special, and one of a kind. Have a wonderful weekend.

Dolores said...

Good luck on your shopping venture tonight, I hope it's successful.

I love the picture of the one you're showing.

Isn't it fun to pass our furniture..etc on to our children...

The train case is gorgeous!

Jill said...

Good luck on your search. That really is a beautiful sofa but yikes! too much money.

I can't wait to see both of your train cases!

Mosaic Magpie said...

I hope you find something you like! 3 TRAIN cases!!! I can't even find one!
Deb

" SHABBY JUNK" said...

Got my couch very similar to your photo at IKea, 399.00 and lots of slip covers to choose from. I have white. Got a chair and ottoman for cheap too. Love them!

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I totally understand the issue with a new sofa. We've had our family room one now for about 8 yrs-it was very cheap leather when we got it, I was concerned the dogs would scratch it and didn't want to pay a huge amount. Well now it is old and because it was so cheap, the dye is coming off. Hubby won't buy one for this house because he wants to move in the future. I finally got leather spray paint and it helps but wears off too. What's a girl to do? So glad you found one!!!
Have a wonderful weekend.
Love, Noreen

Yasmin Smith said...

Love the pic of the slip-covered sofa, and hope all goes right tonight and it is what you are wanting....it sounds like it is
And giving the berry colored one to Andrie is a good idea..that way it is still in the family so not totally gone!! I can't wait to see the pics of what YOU do with the new sofa...I am sure it will be just perfect when you get it all placed and "do your magic" with the accessories!!
I am keeping this short in case my comment wont go through...all that work, ya know...
Have a fun, happy weekend....
Love ya, Francy

Heather's Blog-o-rama said...

I hope you can get that couch you want :) :) OH, and your train cases are so BEAUTIFUL...I hope to purchase one someday. They're just my style, too :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

Your Craft Book said...

Hello Rebecca, I have to say I love your sofa choice because we have one more of less the same. Ours is more of a light cream natural canvas but I just love it. You can put any pillow you want with it and it looks fabulous. Would you believe we bought ours from Rooms To Go and I have now had it 7 years and it is still gorgeous. I think it cost $700.00 and has the slip covers which have been a Britisih staple for about thirty years. We Brits love our slip covers and often have a couple of sets with a different set for Autumn and Winter. I cannot wait to see your beautiful room when it is completed, blessings, Maureen

Christine said...

My taste in furniture changes every three to five years. Right now if I had the mucho I would buy all new furniture for our home. Of course, that isn't gonna happen. A new sofa to a woman is like a new set of golf clubs or a new car to a man. Good luck on the hunt.

Mouse said...

ooo fingers n toes are crossed it is ok for you and a better price as well and way to go on having a new home for the old one already heheheh :) love mouse xxxxx

Theresa said...

I was having the comment issue too but Victoria at thingsilearnfrombear told me how upgrading to Google Chrome fixed her problem! It fixed mine too!

Enjoy your weekend, can't wait to see the new sofa:) HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Ooo! Hope everything works out! ♥

Edie Marie's Attic said...

I hope all goes as you want it to Rebecca! And you have a wonderful home for the berry sofa too!! We've been looking at sofas also and the price tags are more than we feel we can part with at this time. But dreaming is FREE!!
Your traincase and suitcase makeovers are so gorgeous. I have one from my childhood that I'm going to attempt. We'll see how it goes...

Hugs, Sherry

Marilyn said...

Budgets, limited ones, are the pits! But, God was good to me, because I really don't want much except for the basics, and am happiest when the people I love are with me and they don't demand more, either. Some seem to have that soul that always desires MORE. Aren't we blessed that God gives us a happy heart for what we do have?! Hope things work out.♥♫

Ann said...

From my experience with new sofa's I say, go with quality. Buy a high end sofa and do not go for cheap. It will look gorgeous and last a long time. You can always make/buy a slip cover but what is underneath should have a solid frame and quality foam in the cushions.

I love your train cases!

Your Craft Book said...

P.S. Just wanted to say that your train cases are truly beyond compare. I have seen them copied but NEVER equalled, always one of a kind and to be treasured, blessings again, off to bed, Maureen.

Sherri B. said...

I have a couch wish list too..I so hope you will have a photo for us to see tomorrow..fingers crossed! xo

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Some secrets are worth keeping, at least for a while! Granddaughter and I kept it a secret when I was searching for our new sofa, too. Ones I loved were $5000, which wasn't gonna happen, but I finally went to Weir's and got a very pretty one with multiple fabrics on it like I was dreaming of plus a chair and ottoman, all for much less than that! Hope you have luck!!!

June said...

I hope it's the perfect one Rebecca! I bought one from the best slipcover company a few years ago when my daughter had a store and I was able to get it for cost. Otherwise it would have been 2000.00 and that couldn't have happened. I sure wish she still had her store because I would love to have a new chair :)
I'm so glad your daughter is taking your old sofa.
hugs...

Goosegirl said...

Oh Rebecca, I can't wait to see your new sofa!!
I remember the days when I was able to buy furniture and I spent my down times dreaming through furniture catalogs. I am thankful I was able to spend my commissions on furniture with good bones. You see, I worked in a furniture store and my commissions bought us nice furniture. Now, I am busy making new slipcovers for my old furniture, which is really fun. Right now, I am covering a vintage chair, but my sofa is next! Fun!

Lisa said...

YAY! I love your sofa! And I love how God worked it all out for you. Thanks for the awesome testimony!

Blog Archive