Tuesday, August 23, 2011

~~~~PAINTING UP SWEET VINTAGE FINDS~~~~ And Other Stuff That's Keeping Me Busy

 ~BASE PAINTED FINDS~

OK...here's the scoop!  Not too much excitement today because I'm flower-deep in decorating new perfume and bath bottles for my website!  Lots of pretties in the making!
 ~COMING SOON~
(Yep!  SOME Blue, too!)

Yesterday I spent the day painting, finishing up some special orders as well as a wee bit of sewing.  Since my Mr. AGPMan is out of town (on business in New York,New York!), I've been working around the clock!


 ~SWEET OLD and NEW BASKETS~

I love what I do...but there are a few things about my business that I don't enjoy (imagine that!).  One is picture taking (because I'm lousy at it) and the second is writing descriptions for product.  But...bar-none~my least favorite thing is BASE PAINTING my finds!  

Bah! Bah! Bah!

I try and do tons of it on the same day because just the thought of having to get everything ready is overwhelming to me!  It takes hours and hours and hours to prep product!  Bet ya didn't know that, huh?
~CAN YOU GUESS?~

Love doing the artwork tho!  Such fun!
 
~WHAT WERE THEY?~

Any ideas as to what these little boxes were originally for?  If you guessed vintage Band-Aid tins you would be right.  I snagged these over the weekend while out junking with my best buddy, Judy the Beauty.  Believe it or not they are collectibles.  A couple of them were REALLY OLD and I winced at the thought of painting them at first.  But, since black marker was scribbled all over them (with words like NUTS, SCREWS, NAILS, etc.) I figured they were worthless as is.  I know one of them was from the early 1950's.  I found it on eBay and the asking price was $49.  WHAT?  For an old metal box?  :(  You've gotta be kidding me!  Why invest in gold when you can invest in aging Band-Aid Tins? :)
~TISSUE ROLL COVER~

Love how this vintage tissue cover came out!  I'm going to distress it and put it in my master bath!  It's perfectly chic and absolutely shabby...and I love, love love it!

~VINTAGE TOLE TRAY~
(and box!)

Now...I've seen lots of old Tole Trays while out junking and slumming.  I've found a couple truly fabulous antique ones and lots that were painted on an assembly line with huge roses in really bright colors.
 
~WILDLIFE SCENE TO PAINT~

Some I've seen are lovely and some are not.  The one above intrigued me.  I snagged it for $2 and it is in mint condition (save for the dirt!).  I love the old box because it made it easy to date the tray by the 50's clothing on the cover!  I haven't decided what I'm going to do with this yet.  It's an old 'paint by number' craft project and the white stamping easily wipes off with Goo-Gone.  I may just remove that and keep the tray as-is.  Then again...I may paint it.

Hope your day is fab!  I'm back in my studio painting some of those sweet old finds with pink roses!  Can't wait to show you the Band-Aid Tins!

Love to you...

23 comments:

BrushedByAnAngel said...

Love all the old tins and the Tole tray - but not the original tracing on the tray. You will make them all pretty I am sure. I always basecoat as many things as possible so when I start to paint I don't have to wait. Happy Painting,
Brenda

Old Time Cindy said...

Looks like you will be busy for awhile. Enjoy your painting.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Paint away girlfriend...might as well make use of time when your love isn't home!!

Anonymous said...

I guess you just never know what is going to be collectible. If I kept everything I fear I would be on that show "Hoarders". LOL!!
Have a Wonderful Day!
Marilyn

Unknown said...

Hey Rebecca, today i finisch a box witch i painted weeks ago. I also do all the paint work in one day :)))
Enjoy your finisching off those painted boxes.
Have fun,
love from Belgium,
Sonja

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Rebecca,
Can't wait to see now what the finished project is going to look like with those bandaid tins!! You have definitely got me curious!!
Please stop by for a minute when you can to read about my stay at the Stegmaier mansion..

Hugs,
Debbie

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Oh Rebecca I am right there with you on prep work! I am in the middle of trying to salvage an OLD wooden frame for one of my paintings and it is agony.
I love what you are working on though, those little tins look like they are going to be sweet, especially after you add your personal touches!
As for photos and details I feel the same way, it is so hard to do, but I think your photos are lovely and show your hard work off to perfection. I think sometimes we are our own worst critics.
I can hardly wait to see the finished products!
Tina xo

NanaDiana said...

I figured those were Band-Aid boxes right away being as we have gone through at least a hundred of them over the years!

I can't wait to see everything all painted. I used to do some painting and you are right -BASE COATING is the worst of it all! I never sprayed either-it was all hand painted base coats..the worst were the little blackboards I used to do..to get the nice smooth background.

Have a wonderful week! xo Diana

Linda Breedlove said...

Can't wait to see them... I'm getting very interested in antiquing again just because of you. Did you know I had a Civil War business years ago? Love all things old.

Anonymous said...

Amazing what you come up with, sweet Rebecca!!! I know only you can take a bandaide tin and turn it into something gorgeous!! No one else has as much of a creative
little mind as you!!! Can't wait to see the finished results and then I can say "I saw these first on Rebecca's blog and they were just plain ole tins...look at them now!!!!! WOW!!!"
I just might have to have one...or two...or....
Happy priming.....Big hugs, Francy

Susan said...

Rebecca it looks like you have been working hard! Can't wait to see the finished products!

Deanna said...

Becky Sue, I know that your work will be beautiful!!!
You have captured some real bargains and you have the magic touch to bring forth a gorgeous creation.
Will enjoy seeing the real deal when they are all painted to your liking.

God bless and may you have a sweet rest of the summer,
d

Mosaic Magpie said...

Let me see.....band aid tin or gold, band aid tin or gold????
When you finish with that band aid tin it will look better than gold!
Deb

Linda Carole Bloom said...

I'm making a collage book - and I just painted all the canvas at once - maybe someday we will be rich from Etsy orders and can hire somebody to paint all those first coats! I canned pears and made spiced peach jam too. Love, Linda

Unknown said...

Those bandaid tins are interesting. (Of course I am not old enough to remember them...yeah right!) I can't wait to see what you do with them and what they will be used for. You find the most fantistic items to paint on.

Anonymous said...

Oh bless your heart dear sweet most beautiful and most talented Rebeca! We bow down to you our creative queen!! Painted Bandage tins for one and all!! No one stroke roses from you of course!!!!!!! Signed and dated no doubt :-O
Egads has there ever been anyone so full of themself as you girlfriend??
Hugs to you this very day.
-WWRD 43 -

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh wow, Rebecca, you are a genius!!! Band-aid boxes--how awesome!!! All your pretties are exquisite. So happy to hear from you--sending love and hugs your way,
Cindy

Linda said...

Rebecca, your creative juices are always flowing. But I remember when my hubby used to travel on business, I would always do something creative to pass the time.

I love that you are making all of those old things pretty again. You have such a knack.

I am up in the middle of the night with allergies bothering me...ugh! But I will be ok. I took some Benadryl a couple of hours ago.

I always enjoy your soft music that plays on your blog.

I just love coming to your blog for a peaceful visit my friend!

Love, Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Good morning Sweet Rebecca....

Thanks for popping by and for your ever so sweet comment. :-)

Can't wait to see what you do with the band-aid tins... I know they will be Fab.U.Lous. And, that tray... what a hoot. Not so hot on the hunter theme. :-) But, I'm sure you'll come up with the perfect idea. I collect vintage tole trays....and honestly just haven't found one like that yet.

Huggies,
Spence

Unknown said...

I can relate to your hating base coating. I do the same thing, base coat a zillion things at one time, usually cake plates which I do a lot of. I love doing the artwork though like you do. What a neat find in those Band-Aid boxes. I can't wait to see what you do with them. Have fun painting.

Barbara Jean said...

Can't wait to see the tins done up.

off for garage sales now!

hugs and blessings
barbara jean

Fanny said...

I know this is an old post, but I am wondering what colors you use for base painting. They are such beautiful pink and white!! I love them! Thanks!

Rebecca Nelson said...

Pink was custom mixed and the white is Cottage White by Behr! Have fun!

Blog Archive