Monday, August 15, 2011

~THE TALE OF TWO WINDOWS~

~WINDOW TO BE REPLACED~
(Christmas 2010)

Today I'm going to share with you something that's been going on behind the scenes here at my La Chaumière de Briarwood...  It is something that was initially exciting, but something that has turned into a bit of a disappointment!
  ~CRICKETY OLD WINDOW~
(Original Molding Removed)

My Mr. AGPMan and I are constantly updating our 1970's home.  Not entirely because we want to, mind you.  Some of our makeover choices have included must-do repairs and updates that have been necessary to keep our pretty home in tip-top shape.  At forty-one years of age her windows are beyond old, her flooring is beyond dated, her roof was shot and in spite of the fact our girl is truly a lovely two-story house, she's needed a lot of work.

A LOT OF WORK!
 ~FABULOUS NEW WINDOW SET~

Since starting back to school last June my guy hasn't had much free time to work on the most important things on the makeover 2-do-list...  Still, a few weeks ago we ordered a new double style window for our family room from a major retailer (that will remain nameless) and so began the wait for her arrival. I've been over-the-top happy about the removal of the old metal-framed, single pane window in our family room.  The original window might have been decent when she was new, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that she is beyond worthless today!  She does little more than keep out the rain (which we haven't been getting of late!). :(
~READY FOR INSTALLATION~
(Right?)

Anyway...the new replacement window was ordered about 9 weeks ago, and sadly after waiting and waiting for nearly 3 weeks for delivery, we discovered our new window arrived with some major damage.  Probably from the shipping company, but damaged none-the-less.  So...we ordered it again.  So began another 3 week wait.  Or so we thought.  Come to find out the window wasn't reordered as expected and we were waiting for nothing.  Several more days passed before we discovered that a company employee had dropped the ball and failed to the reorder the window as expected.  Now...all this window-ordering stuff is going on while our old window is half-in and half-out (it was being removed when we discovered the new window was defective).
~DAMAGED AGAIN~

OK...so our 2nd new window set arrived last Wednesday and guess what?
Damaged again.

We can't believe it!  Booo Hoooo!

After an intense, but friendly conversation between my Mr. AGPMan and the window company, we've been given the choice to accept the window as-is (the frame is bent on one end, but the damage MIGHT be covered up with the trim/molding) or wait for a third window to be ordered and delivered...this time the wait time is six weeks!

Either way we are getting our money back.  Sounds great, but what we really wanted was just what we paid for.  

An undamaged new window!

Today a private window installer is coming to give us an estimate to install the window (my guy is OUT OF TIME TO DO THE WORK) as well as his professional opinion about the condition of the window and even if it's worth salvaging...

I'll let you know the outcome and I promise to show you new pictures once the new window is installed.  So much has changed since last Christmas when I snapped the picture at the top.  New wood flooring is on it's way (sooo excited about this!) and our chandy has been replaced with one with gorgeous prisms!  Not to mention our new French Doors and Side Windows (which came in with no trouble at all)!

Hope your week is awesome.  Today is my last day with my Miss K!  Third grade starts for her this week...can't believe it!

Blessings and love to you this day!

An ever patient with the ups and downs of remodeling~

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, I am so sorry to hear of the misfortunes you have had with the new window..I would be terribly upset by now!! All that waiting, only to have both windows arrive broken...not very good business for the company OR the packers!! I hope the third window will be a CHARM and
manage to arrive intact!! What a shame to have to wait, though....
Don't you hate it when things go wrong like that?? "The best laid plans of mice and men" sure applies to this project!! But be patient and in time your will have the window of your dreams and I am sure it will make a world of difference to the room...and YOU!!!
Hoping you have a week that is grow
ing better by the hour....
Big hugs and love, Francy

KatyDidStitches said...

Oh, girl. I feel your pain. I could tell you some stories. Someday I'll blog about our custom-made-kitchen-cabinet saga.

Whenever my hubbin does a domestic re-do, he always wonders why all those DIY TV shows never encounter difficulties like this. I tell him that if they told the TRUTH about renovating, we'd all be intimidated...decide to make do with what we have...and they wouldn't sell any of their products!

Hang in there. The results will be worth it.

Kathy

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Rebecca,
Oh my goodness...I bet you were mad! I know I would have been for sure.
I have been waiting for 8 weeks now for my new sofas and rug to arrive from Ethan Allen and now I've been told it might be taking another 4 weeks. Well I am not happy about this 12 weeks to get sofa's (Just crazy)
Well at least its now being taken care of and your window will be beautiful!
Have a sweet day and big hugs, Elizabeth

Cathy said...

Hope there will be a better "light" coming thru your 3rd window......as said "3rd time is a charm"!!! Reminds me of a chair I ordered from a furniture store several years ago....each chair that arrived had something wrong with it...until the third chair which was what I ordered!!! Needless to say, very frustrating!
Count to 10, and breathe deep! LOL!
Cathy aka GGJ

Chatty Crone said...

It amazes me in these days and times - how they can be so careless.

Sounds like a frustrating situation. but they you are handling it great!

Dolores said...

Bless y'all's hearts!!!!! This type of thing is so maddening and frustrating.......

It will be so beautiful when all is said and done.
Hugs to you sweet friend,

A Southern Rose said...

I bet y'all were so aggravated when this happened. I hope all goes well with the installation of your new window. It's gonna be so pretty. Can't wait to see pictures.

Hugs,
Lee Laurie

P.S. I was gonna send my address like you asked but wasn't sure if I should put it on here.

Kim B said...

Well goodness, hopefully your new window will be in shape and in the right place really soon. Hugs, Kim

Marilyn said...

Errors and trials seem to go together when one is doing any type of house work! Good Luck!♥♫

Theresa said...

Wow, I am pretty patient but that is a lot of waiting for a window that is still damaged! I am happy to hear that you get your money back and hopefully the professional window company will get it done quickly and to your satisfaction! I don't know how you do all of this remodeling:) this has really been a "pane"! hehe

Have a blessed evening, HUGS!

Mona Kay Gorman said...

Frustrating...I'm so sorry! I hope it works out well...and soon!!

Unknown said...

Oh, no. So sorry to hear about this window situation. Praying it all works out well!

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Sounds like a real nightmare! I hope you get it all straightened out and you can enjoy a brand new undamaged window. Can't wait to see the makeover!~Hugs, Patti

D. Jean Quarles said...

How frustrating for you. Fingers crossed you'll be happy with the end result.

Christine said...

The experience you are having with the windows is exactly what our son and his wife went through while building their new home. Only it was carpet instead of windows. Last thing to be done before closing and they ordered the wrong carpet. Had to pospone closing and it cost them an extra five hundred dollar. They were not happy.

Mariette's Back to Basics said...

Dearest Rebecca,

Indeed, there is always the unexpected whenever we plan some improvement. Timing is the hardest part! Not on our end, but for depending on others... And always we learn about Murphy's law.
Wish you good luck and hope it soon will be done in a way that is pleasing.

Love to you,

Mariette

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Rebecca
This is downright absurd, where is the quality control with this company? How patient do they expect a customer to be? I feel sorry for this inconvenience you're experiencing and like others, I have stories from some of our renovations that did not go well.
One day, and sooner than later we hope, it will all be completed and beautiful. Down the road you'll just be happy it's done.
Sending you a hug to feel better,
Judith

Kerri said...

Hope the window works out and you enjoyed your time with Miss K this past weekend.

Best wishes :)

Kerri

Blog Archive