Sunday, August 28, 2011

~~~~~THOUGHTS ON A SUNDAY MORNING~~~~~ Do Your Words Edify?

Several years ago my Mr. AGPMan and I started a little practice in our home I wish we had begun years earlier when our two children, Brandon and Adrienne, were small.  Although the message of being kind to others was consistently taught to them, I know for certain as parents we could have done a better job of living out the example of grace in our daily lives.  In spite of our imperfection, our kids grew up to be incredibly loving people and today  I am so proud of them!  No doubt the Hand of God is upon them.

One of my favorite scriptures is found in the book of Ephesians 4:29 (King James Version) and it says this:

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth,
but that which is good to the use of edifying,
that it may minister grace unto the hearers."

I like the New International Version...it says it this way:

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths,
but only what is helpful for building others
up according to their needs,
that it may benefit those who listen."

Few people realize the difference positive, loving encouragement from us can make in the life of another.  Over the years I've met so many incredible men and women whose dreams were dismantled by a hateful, careless comment or sarcastic word.  I've always wondered if the people who routinely attack others grow as tall as they hope to feel when trying to make others feel small.

A Little Word

A little word in kindness spoken,
a motion or a tear,
Has often healed the heart that's broken,
and made a friend sincere.

Then deem it not an idle thing
a pleasant word to speak;
The face you wear-the thoughts you bring-
The heart may heal or break.
(Daniel Clement Colesworthy)

~~*~~

Blessings to you today as you lift up and edify another.  I promise you your rewards will be great!

"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."  Proverbs 12:18 NIV)

Love to you...

13 comments:

Patti said...

Great post! Our mouths do indeed have the power to build up or tear down. Remember that old saying "sticks and stoned may break my bones, but words can never hurt me." Oh, yes, they can!!

Preacher is going through the book of James right now, and James talks alot about the power of the tongue. Today's message was from chapter 1, about being quick to listen and slow to speak. It's been my experience that when we don't heed that admonition and, instead, are quick to speak, we say words that we often wish we could take back.

Blessings,
Patti

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post today, Rebecca. I could relate so much to it...from the sharp retort side, not the loving words side. :0( I read all of the words you quoted and made a silent appeal to GOD to not speak before I THINK, and thus try to avoid hurting others....sometimes just one word can wound another to to the core.
You have such high ideals, Rebecca, you are an inspiration to everyone whom you touch in your life. I am so glad that includes ME
sweet friend!!!
Have a happy Sunday and a fun week......Hugs and love, Francy

Jenna said...

Hi Rebecca, I have often wondered why others that have nothing to do with a disagreement between two people...feel the need to choose sides and snub one or the other with hurtful words and comments. There are always two sides to every story and maybe others should keep their comments to themselves and not keep the "flames going" per se. It's funny that you chose to write this... I'm in that situation right now and have been for aprox 2 years on the blogs. I closed my blog once because of it and didn't blog for almost a year...I came real close to closing it last week because of the mean anonymous comments but chose not to because of other wonderful bloggers telling me not to let them get to me...Sometimes the mean comments that are retorted back at someone who has harassed you in more ways than one for so long, are a way of defending yourself. Yes, there are better ways of dealing with situations but sometimes everyone say's something they regret later, that doesn't mean they are bad people or that they should be stoned and made to feel like an outcast...it just means they have had enough and don't know whatelse to do...Great post! Hugs, Jennifer

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Hi Rebecca....hope you are having a fantastic Sunday....I hope your Mr. is home and you are enjoying a quiet Lord's day. That is exactly what my Mr and I are doing!!

Kerri said...

Excellent post! My mother taught us if you cant say anything nice say nothing at all. I am a very cheerful person so I am assuming some people just wake up on the wrong side of the bed and then take it out on everyone else.

Check out my new painting when you get a minute. I have been busy and didnt get to finish my custom order because Trigger has a sore foot and I have been nursing him back to health. Today he does seem better.

Hope you have a wonderful week!

xoxo
Kerri

Daphne Nicole & Lynda Cade said...

Very inspiring words Rebecca. Thanks for sharing!
hugs~~~ Daphne

Lavender Cottage said...

Hello Rebecca
A very sincere and inspiring post.
If only some people would stop to think about what they're going to say before blurting hurtful words out.
I believe that kind and encouraging souls far outweigh the nasty ones on this earth and leading by example will help turn them around.
Judith

Linda said...

Such a good reminder Rebecca to speak loving words, and spread kindness to others.

I want to always have a sweet and gentle spirit...and to let God's love flow through me to others...but I know that I sometimes fail.

I am thankful for the Holy Spirit who guides and teaches us...and who convicts us. I love how He prompts us to repent and to try again in His power.

One thing I love about you is your gentleness and your way of blessing others with kind words of encouragement Rebecca.

Love, Linda

Marilyn said...

Working with children at school can be the best place to share this wisdom. Who knows what they hear at home or what someone has said on the playground? I like to wrap them in the safety of sweet words so they can have protection from those words that do hurt. Great message for us.♥♫

Kim B said...

Oh so true. Your posts are such a blessing. Hugs, Kim

Anonymous said...

That is so important, thank you.

Theresa said...

Oh so true dear Rebecca! One kind word can lift the spirits! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

KatyDidStitches said...

I can certainly relate...having found myself on both sides of this issue. I do believe that most people have a sincere desire to be kind...and that very often harsh words come from a place of pain. Our own feelings of inadequacy can cause us to tear others down...sad...but, undeniably human. I didn't recognize this until I got older. The best we can do is to forgive each other...forgive ourselves...ask God to forgive us...and strive to do better.

Thank you for a great post, Rebecca.

Kathy

Blog Archive