Monday, January 18, 2010

~ESTATE SALE HUNTING and ONE Fabulous Vintage Mirror~

~LAST SATURDAY'S ESTATE SALE LIST~

One great thing about Winter be-bopping right along is that it takes me closer and closer to the AMAZING OKLAHOMA ESTATE SALES that take place every Spring and Summer. Oh~we have them during the Fall and Winter months, too, but I'm always so preoccupied with the Holidays that I rarely get a chance to shop many of them. Besides...who wants to get out when it snowy and icy? By the time it warms up enough to suit me I find I'm having serious Estate Sale Shopping withdrawal...
~AMAZING VINTAGE MIRROR~

At one of the Sales we visited last Saturday I found this 2die4 mirror! It was priced at only $20 and I certainly couldn't pull it off the wall fast enough! I had big plans for the beautiful old thing! I knew immediately it was destined for my Formal Dining Room

Now...I'm not one to let grass grow under my feet! Once I arrived home I wasted no time in removing the mirror from it's lovely old frame and cleaning it up until it sparkled like new (well, sorta...you know how vintage mirrors are, right?)...
~TWO LIGHT COATS OF PAINT~

The frame was coated this fabulous bronzy-gold color and I actually loved it! Still, I opted to soften it with an easy dry brushing technique! The photo above is after a couple very, very light coats of my very favorite creamy cottage white paint!

Simple to do... Just dip your SPONGE BRUSH (I used a 2" one) into your paint and then squeeze out most of what soaks into the brush's foam body. Gently TAP the paint onto your frame using the flat side. This allows the original color of the frame to show through. Do this a couple of times and Wah Lah...you are done!

~UP-CLOSE VIEW~
Isn't She FABULOUS?

I don't know WHERE else I could have found such a charming mirror for such a low price! :) Didn't it turn out amazing? The backside of the mirror was stamped 1920!

~ANOTHER CLOSE-UP VIEW~

~BEAUTIFUL and ROMANTIC~

All in all we had a fairly good day of treasure hunting. LOTS of things were terribly overpriced and that always puts me off. Even so, we also found a wonderful pair of vintage glass doorknobs (front, back & faceplate) that will look perfect on the French Doors my guy recently installed! I also hauled home a neat set of old shutters that I'm going to use for display in my little antique booth...

I'd love to know what's popular where you live! My sister, Linda, who lives in Tennessee said that auctions are big in her state... We have those here too, but I rarely attend them. My hand has a tendency to shoot up into the air ALL BY ITSELF and that ends up costing me a lot of money...

Blessings to you as you look forward to the gifts and grandeur of Spring...Rebecca

20 comments:

BellaRosa said...

Rebecca amor, what a gorgeous mirror you found, it came out lovely, I actually love it both ways, gold or the way your redid it :) Here we have a few flea markets but to be honest, thanks to Rachel Ashwell...well everything went skyhigh as far as prices...just because she can afford it doesn't mean the rest of us can...at least I can't :) But I love the thrift stores around me, I find some wonderful treasures :) Besos, Rose

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca!!
Your mirror find is beautiful.... I really like the paint technique you used because it brought the "lace look" out in it!! It is lovely!!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Lin said...

Beautiful.

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Beautiful! I am well aware of mirrors with "ghosts" in them. (That's what I call the foggy old mirrors that lose some of their reflection. One is in my hall and a friend always says it looks dirty and I should replace it. Oh my....some people don't get it do they?
Enjoy your new treasure, it is a beauty!
Hugs,Pat

Deanna said...

The mirror is fabulous and I like what you've done with her.
Just beautiful.

You really have the touch!!!

God bless,
d

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Your mirror is dropdead gorgeous!
And dry brushing it brought out all of the detailing. It's lovely.

I have a thing for mirros and I just can't pass them up. I got a real bargain just the other day and I will be posting about the lovely mirror that I found.

Auctions and estate sales are popular her at Ocean Isle Beach and Myrtle Beach,SC. So are thrifts, Goodwill and Habitat.

Happy Hunting.

Sissie

Stacey said...

Good morning Rebecca! Your mirror is fabulous. You will have to give me the heads up when you know of a sale coming up. Where do you find that info?

Julie Marie said...

Hello Rebecca... oooh, how lovely your mirror turned out! I am missing all of the wonderful estate sales right now too...there have not been too many lately... I am fortunate enough to be on a list to preview one estate sale company's sales before open to the public.. I usually end up with too many finds, but somehow manage to use them one way or another...right now I am trying to add to my collection of vintage Nature~garden books... happy hunting! xoxo Julie Marie

Dixie said...

Beautiful Estate Sale find! I know what you mean about that hand going up all by itself... Ricky frequently looks at me and says... "you biddin' on that?"...
yep.. that was my hand dear...

The French Bear said...

Beautiful mirror, and so like your style!!! I love it!
You have a wonderful romantic touch, I love to see what you are up to. I am always so inspired!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

Brenda ~ The Heminger Farmhouse said...

Rebecca, that mirror is simply GORGEOUS!! What a find! Here in Michigan during the winter months we have auctions, and perhaps a few Estate Sales, but things don't really get going until the spring. I really haven't done much "shopping" at sales for quite some time, but plan to change that this spring, and hit the Yard & Garage sales as much as I can to find some hidden treasures :) So, when are we going to see more of this Dining Room Makeover. You give all us ladies such inspiration on how we can decorate our own homes :) Hope you are having a wonderful week, and are busy creating more of your wonderful pretty items. Take care, warmest, Brenda

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Oh my she is sooo beautiful...you are one lucky girl!!! Fabulous find!!!

Enjoy!!!
XOXO
Cathy

chicroses said...

Hi Rebecca, The mirror is great. You did well. I have a space at an antique mall and I would have put at least $80 here. You asked what sells here. Anything chippy old painted stuff. I sell my roses painted things but cant keep enough in. I do well with windows with painted roses I just wished I had more time to paint. My little Hattie takes up my time. I cant wait till YSales start. I should take a pic of my space again for my blog. Check out my maid on my blog. Hugs sally

Anonymous said...

Oooooo, sweet Rebecca..you have inspired me!! I have TWO lovely old oval shaped mirrors that are just lying in my attic!! I am going to dig them out today and when I go into town, I shall purchase the paint to brush them like you did yours!! I have just the spot for them, too!! THank you for your ever informative and inspiring tips and pictures of your work....
In Louisiana we like the fleur-de-lis symbols on old items...French, you know, and so IN now that our Mardi Gras season is here...
I love your blog and read it every day...you write such "chatty" things...just like visiting with an old friend!!
Hugs and love, Francy

Tristan Robin said...

What a really terrific job you did on it! It's just lovely.

I'm terribly envious. We don't have much here in CT in the way of estate sales, auctions, etc. It's a shame, because we have some pretty amazing estates (especially around Greenwich, Darien, New Haven - the famous cities LOL) which the owners pass on. But we're so close to NYC here (just an hour away), that the really beautiful stuff just gets shipped there.

The best we can hope for is the occasional garage sale or church bazaar - which never have any treasures at all.

It's not fun having to buy all your vintage treasures on ebay!

GwendolynKay said...

What a great find! the mirror is lovley before, but I do love the after! very regal and stunning. Thanks for sharing the painting tip. I will give it a try. Blessings!
Gwen

Nanbon44 said...

what a wonderful talent you have for finding old worn out items and turning them into treasures.

Anonymous said...

Yep, good trade. We have yet to go to one but now i'm thinking we should go quicker than we planned. Great mirror. We do have an antique mall right up the road which cuts down on a lot of good finds all over the city. They tend to end up in one huge building. It's like an all day scavenger hunt for us. Much fun & joy comes from an hour or two there. Lovely mirror, it would look wonderful in my about to be remodeled bedroom!!
Hugs
Tammy

Rita said...

Rebecca, I love the technique you used to refurbish the mirror. It is lovely and one you will thoroughly enjoy for years to come! Blessings! Rita

June said...

OMG!!! Girl they sold that to you in error. I asked them to put my name on it and that I would be by to pick it up later. That's okat that you already redid it. I love what you did and it will go with my decor beautifully my friend. I'll be by to pick it up later.
love you lots

Blog Archive