Monday, January 25, 2010

~CAN YOU REACH MY FRIEND - His Grace Is Enough~

~PEACE FOR LIFE'S JOURNEY~

Of all the things in my life I am most grateful for I will forever remain thankful that when I was just a very young child my parents taught me how to pray. I learned early that no matter how I behaved, no matter if my choices were good or not so good, I could never fall farther than the love of God could reach.

And...I could never do anything that would cause Him not to love me.

A few days ago I got an unexpected email from one of my dearest longtime girlfriends. Our friendship began back in 2nd grade and I recall how we spent many summers together laughing and acting up before a high school move separated us for over 30 years.

A couple of days later when I picked up my ringing telephone I knew immediately it was voice of the very girl who'd frozen my training bra and laughed out loud the night I received my first kiss. She was still witty and sarcastic and try as I might I couldn't get a word in edgewise. To this day she remains the only person I've ever known who can talk longer than I can without taking in fresh air.

We laughed and talked about everything that night. Our grown children, her loving parents who have both passed on, my father's devastating illness. We hadn't lost the ability to get in touch with each others feelings and it felt good to remember many of the things that helped mold us into the women we had become.

We giggled just like we did when we were school girls...two 12 year old adult-wannabees who mistakenly believed the world revolved around them. We chatted about old boyfriends, making F's in Home Ec (tis true!) and how we believed Old Mrs. Wylie had failed us solely on the grounds that we couldn't sew a straight stitch.


We talked about our passions and our loves and how my marriage had been 'successful' while hers in fact, had failed. All of them.

As our conversation turned more serious she began to share with me how her bank job had ended unexpectedly, how she and her oldest child were estranged and how her health was beginning to fail. Even before I heard the crack in her voice I had sensed her heart was hurting. I knew she was terribly lonely and very afraid. I also knew, for whatever the reason, I had been spared the suffering that she so obviously had received a double portion of.

As her tears began to flow her steely guard came down.

"I have nothing left" she whispered.

"I've lost everything".

~Can You Reach My Friend~
(Unknown Author)

I got a call from an old friend
We laughed about how things had changed
But I could tell things weren't going as well
As she claimed

She tried to hide her feelings
But they only gave her away
The longer I listened,
The more I kept wishing that
I knew the right words to say

Can You reach my friend ?
You're the only one who can.
Lord, I know you love her
Help her understand
Can You reach my friend?
Bring her searching to an end
Help her give her heart to You

We talked for more than an hour
I smiled when she mentioned Your name
I said that I knew You
I told her the difference You made
But she never thought she would need You
But maybe she's changing her mind
As we said goodbye Lord
She told me that I had found
Something that she'd like to find

Can You reach my friend?
You're the only One who can
Lord, I know You love her
Help her understand
Can you reach my friend?
Bring his searching to an end
Help her give her heart to You

Maybe she's ready tonight
Lord, she said that she might
Need to call You

Help her give her heart to You

Blessings to you as you remember His Grace is Enough...Rebecca

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad, Rebecca but how wonderful that she reached across the years for you.....
Love,
Marilyn

Unknown said...

G'morn, Rebecca ~ What a lovely write ... Have a beautiful week.

Hugs, Marydon

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Good Morning Rebecca. As I read your post I was so happy for you that you and your dear friend took the time to reconnect. There is nothing better than remembering and laughing until it hurts!

As I read further, I was saddened to learn that she is having so many problems. I wonder if she reads this and sees your beautiful prayer. You are such a good friend and I know that God hears your words.

I hope she finds peace.
Blessings,
Sissie

Dolores said...

It does seem like some people have more than their share of troubles. I'm saying a prayer for your friend right now......The poem is so touching and beautiful.
Prayers for your friend and love to you my sweet friend.
Dolores

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Rebecca~
What a precious post that brings tears to my eyes ~
Friends are a gift from our Lord ~
xoxo
Lori

Anonymous said...

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL STORY YOU SHARED WITH US TODAY, REBECCA...
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH YOU HELP PEOPLE, EVEN THOSE YOU DON'T EVEN REALIZE, WITH YOUR WONDERFUL FAITH AND TRUST IN OUR LORD?? YOU INSPIRE ME EVERY TIME I READ YOUR BLOG, BECAUSE YOU HELP ME SEE OUT OF THE DARKEST MOMENTS THERE IS "A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL" WAITING TO HELP ME IF I BELIEVE AND REACH OUT TO HIM...SOMETIMES THAT IS ALL THAT HAS KEPT ME GOING.
THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU SHARE OF YOURSELF WITH US....YOU ARE MUCH LOVED, MY SWET FRIEND.....
HUGS AND LOVE,FRANCY

Cindy said...

Lord Jesus we lift Rebecca up to you Lord..to put your protective arms around her..to show her your absolute love Lord. Thank you for showing her to her friend..who loves You Lord and that Love will radiate back to Rebecca.In Jesus name..amen

To have a friend like you ..what a true blessing!!!

Unknown said...

Oh Sweetie,
That just touched my heart deeply. I love that poem/song too! You have such a beautiful way with words!

As I read, you reminded me of my dearest friend who we have known each other since we were about 5. The years and many miles never dim our friendship.

You have a blessed week!
Lorena

Janet Happy Girl said...

YES yes yes...His grace is sufficient. I have experienced many heartaches myself and I KNOW if it had not been for my Heavenly Father that I would have never made it through on my own. I just don't know how people get through life...much less a day without the grace the is sufficient for you and me...thank you for sharing....

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Rebecca, I'm so glad she had you to share with and that she has you to pray with her and for her. God put you there to help her and lead her gently to His side. He is ever seeking his lost and hurting sheep, and it's such a priviledge to be able to help one of those little sheep back into the fold.

Warm hugs to you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Sandi said...

So much trouble in the world today that it is heartbreaking. Love that song. Please know that I am praying for your friend!
Hugs~

Sandi said...

So much sadness and heartache in the world today. Please know that I am praying for your friend. I love that song too!!
Hugs~

Anonymous said...

May the prayers you request reach your friend in her darkest hours and time of need. Many a time has come when I have called out to God for him to carry my burdens, as you know, and I know he hears our prayers. I pray your friend finds her days ahead filled with the blessings of our keeper. Hugs to you. Tammy

June said...

Hi Rebecca sweet,
I'm glad I stopped by to read this today. I often think how different my life would have been had I chose to react differently to the things that have happened to me in life. I have friends who have had hard things come to them that have chose to allow them to harden them and then I have other friends who have softened because of the hard things. Your song that you have shared is so beautiful. I send a prayer up for your friend this day.
hugs

Ginger said...

First let me say I have never seen such a beautiful image as the one in this post!!! You have such compassion for your friends. I hope your friend can find peace and turn to our Lord for it.

Hugs
Ginger

Unknown said...

Hey Rebecca. I just came over from a day in the life to tell you how much I enjoyed what you wrote. It's so beautiful. I'm really glad I did so I could read what you have posted here.

It's heart breaking to think that things haven't been going well for her. I'm glad she remembered what good friends you are and called. I'm sure you are a blessing to her. I'll be saying a prayer for her and of course you just because your such a doll.

Hugs...Tracy :)

Cottage Rose said...

Dear Rebbecca; How Amazing Our Lord is,,, too have brought her too you,, he knows her and her heart as well as your's,,, your post has touched my Heart so much... I will keep you sweet friend in my Prayers.. With you and the Lord on her side she will get through this trying time.... God Bless you both..... love the poem so very inspiring..

Hugs;
Alaura

CC said...

Hi Rebecca,
I am so happy that your friend has you..to listen,to comfort and to guide. May her days begin to be filled with hope and love in these dark hours. There are so many problems out there today to pull us down..we have to have love and hope to help us stand again.
Many hugs to you and your sweet friend..may she find peace.

Martha's Favorites said...

Rebecca: Read your post and my heart just ached for your friend. Life is hard enough, but to try to live it without Jesus, is impossible. I pray that she will indeed, call on Him tonight! Blessings dear friend. Martha

Blog Archive