Wednesday, January 13, 2010

~WANTING PINK ROSE CHINA CUPS...and Those Timely Life Lessons~

~LOVELY PINK CHINA CUP~

Since it was a tad bit warm yesterday I decided to break free from the confines of my home and do a bit of running around town. Truth said, the walls of my La Chaumière de Briarwood are starting to close in on me. I am, after all, a California native. And all this frosty winter stuff, complete with freezing rain and temps dipping down into the teens, is wearing thin.

I know. I know. It's WINTER!

But, how wonderful that in only a few weeks the birth of a fresh new season will begin. Thank you, God, for change! I"m ready.

So...back to my story!
~I'M IN LOVE WITH CHOCOLATE ~

My travels found me in one of my favorite places to shop! A tattered little JUNK-JOINT nestled on a busy street in my collage town of Bethany, Oklahoma. I wasn't really looking for anything specific...unless you call my desire to unearth a Vintage Pink Rose Chocolate Pot (Nippon 1895) and CUPS as something SPECIFIC!

I didn't score. No aging china pot and certainly no dainty floral cups...nothing my budget could allow anyway. I returned home disappointed for my plans to serve Hot Chocolate in Style to my sweet Miss K on her next visit were dashed. After all, at present she is my only grandchild and it's up to me to teach her about the finer things in life.

Right?

Well... Maybe not.

I turned on my computer this morning and in my IN-BOX was an email from my favorite Auntie, Ms. P. Attached to her sweet sentiment was the following story. Although I've read it before, after my shopping excursion of yesterday it took on fresh meaning.
~PAPER - PLASTIC or CHINA?~

HOT CHOCOLATE STORY

A group of graduates, well established in their careers, were talking at a reunion and decided to go visit their old university professor, now retired. During their visit, the conversation turned to complaints about stress in their work and lives. Offering his guests hot chocolate, the professor went into the kitchen and returned with a large pot of hot chocolate and an assortment of cups - porcelain, glass, crystal, some plain looking, some expensive, some exquisite - telling them to help themselves to the hot chocolate.

When they all had a cup of hot chocolate in hand, the professor said: "Notice that all the nice looking, expensive cups were taken, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress. The cup that you're drinking from adds nothing to the quality of the hot chocolate. In most cases it is just more expensive and in some cases even hides what we drink. What all of you really wanted was hot chocolate, not the cup; but you consciously went for the best cups... And then you began eying the cups of others.

Now consider this: Life is the hot chocolate; your job, money and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain life. The cup you have does not define, nor change the quality of life you have. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the hot chocolate God has provided us. God makes the hot chocolate, man chooses the cups.

The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything that they have. Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. And enjoy your hot chocolate.

Blessings to you as you choose wisely the things that truly matter in life...Rebecca

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last night while lying in bed with my hubs we had this very type of discussion. I was feeling very overwhelmed yesterday thinking on the death of my father, what it meant to me as a person and how would I move on past all that pain for the last 40 years. It turned to the house being in 1/2 torn apart getting ready for new wiring into where should the new doorway go and for heaven's sake where will my new craft studio go? I was saddened to think I would have to continue this way for very long. To myself I said, Dear Lord if you could reach out to my frustration and help me quiet the voice I would truely appreciate it.

My hubs comes back with ~

"It's so snuggly warm in this bed with you".

That was some good chocolate!!

Today, it's our, it's warm and the wiring, sheetrock, paint and such will get done as it permits.

I am back to my contented self today.

Hugs to you and feel better!
Tammy

Tanza said...

OOoohhh darn sweet ~r~,
I am soo guilty of this, and NOT the real lesson part spoken of, because, I HAVE to say, I've always been the quite content type .. I LiVe in a smaller, tract home, smaller, and sweet I have to say, I LoVe calling it a "home" nothing makes me happier than to see me children, come home, and happy to be home, comment on what I do to it, and they LoVe the way it smells ..isn't that funny ?! Nothing is more sweeter than that .. Bigger and better isn't AlWaYs what it's cracked up to be .. We have maoney to pay our bills, eat,go out, and I HAVE spending money too .. My hubby and I don't over extend, or try not to ..
and live in our means .. ( for the most part)hahaha .. I think soo many people, desire and have to have the biggest and Best of everything .. I don't like to play that game ..
BUT, what I am guilty of, is I always have to have the prettiest, PiNk, and Rose, tea cup to drink from .. When ever my friends come for tea, or we go to tea, we ALL eye the most daintiest, sweetest cup, and the one that grabs it the fastest gets it .. hahaha .. that's always been a joke with each one of us .. Didn't you know, the prettiest cup makes tea or (hot Chocolate) taste EvEn better ?! I LoVe your sweet stories ..You always make my heart smile :)
By the way, just wait til you see my pretty new pot all finished and dressed up ?!Only you can make that happen, your sweet blessed hands will fix her up soo pretty ..
LoVe to you my sweet friend forever ~
Big tea hugs
~tea~xo

Unknown said...

G'day, Rebecca ~

Have seen this story written so many different ways to make a profound statement ... I will now prefer your version as china & chocolate (See's) are my favorite ... Never to early to share this story with my kid-lings (at our next tea party).

Just thought I'd pop by ... been a terrible week thus far. I've only visited 2 friends thus far ...

TY for sweet thoughts. Love you, too ~ Marydon

Tristan Robin said...

charming post - loved the chocolate story!

stay warm - and enjoy your chocolate!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Glad to hear you got out and about, but sad that you didn't find any treasures to take home,
oh well, there's always the next time.
Your story about the hot chocolate is so true. Thanks for the reminder. However, I will say that there is something quite wonderful drinking from fine china cup or eating from a fine china plate.

Mollye said...

What a great story! I do love some hot chocolate too! Hmmmmmmm... As I've said before it just goes best with Saltine crackers dipped in the hot chocolate. specially if you have a little whipped cream in it! And speaking of chocolate. I saw on TV this morning that 2 tiny squares of dark chocolate can actually help you LOSE weight! Get outta here I did not know that, but I can't get to the store quite fast enough. I'm doing so good so far with my diet, Pukin Darlin is gonna have a new little gal when I get back home in March. Ooh la la.

Thank you too for your as usual loving and sweet comments. Makes my day 'ya know.

Ana said...

Hi Ms. Rebecca,
I loved the story...it is so true! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Have a wonderful day.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

Anonymous said...

A very good story and one to remind myself of from time to time. No matter the circumstances, the joy of the Lord is my hot chocolate.

Anonymous said...

A very good story and one to remind myself of from time to time. No matter the circumstances, the joy of the Lord is my hot chocolate.

BellaRosa said...

Rebecca what a lovely story...you always share the prettiest things...I hope you are staying warm, Cali misses you :) Besos, Rose

Rita said...

Your story about the hot chocolate and the tea cups were just what we needed to remind us that "plain" is not always ugly. Wonderful application! I too love beautiful things. I love to drink from lovely cups and sit on comfy chairs that look nice, but I hope those never become the important things in my life, compared to the attitudes I have. Hope you do not mind that I refered to your post on mine today. Bless you!

Anonymous said...

I love that story. I have a plaque that says "The Most important Things in Like Are Not Things." How true all those extras do make it nice. Keep looking you will find that special cup and teapot. I don't even use a teapot anymore, unless we are having guests. If the littles come we have to use the 'pot.' Blessings
QMM

A Southern Rose said...

I love this post. I've tried really hard this past year and now into the new year to be content with what I have. This story says it all.


Love and hugs,
Lee Laurie

Laura said...

Rebecca-

As usual your post hits my heart.
I want to be grateful; I feel grateful for simple things.

I am grateful for YOU.
Laura

Sandra said...

Ms Rebecca, that was so sweet. I love it. We all need to appreciate the simpler things in our lives. :) Thank you for reminding us all, my sweet friend.
Sandra

June said...

My cups definitely aren't the most expensive or the prettiest, but I sure do love my hot chocalate!
I always love your posts, sweet friend.
Tons of love for you today Rebecca!

Dolores said...

Oh Rebecca, your post always have the sweetest and best messages. Thanks for this good reminder!
Love,
Dolores

Anne Lorys said...

That'a just a wonderful story, Rebecca! And so, so true.

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement on my blog!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Anne

Blog Archive